Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Chained to the Desk: A Guidebook for Workaholics, Their Partners and Children, and the Clinicians Who Treat Them
Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Pink Floyd Fire TV Stick Sun Care Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Water Sports

on February 14, 2010
bought this slightly used but in fabulous condition; you cannot beat amazon's used books which makes for a beautiful deal! The book was filled w/ great info on the etiology & mechanisms of work addiction and tips to help you cope
on October 7, 2007
Depending on the clinician to whom one talks, between 50 and 85% of Western populations are workaholic, so "Chained to the Desk" should appeal to virtually every English-speaking Westerner. Few of us will, however, read it. This is a great tragedy because, if you suffer from an addiction to work, not only do you probably suffer from many other less "socially admirable" addictions that will undoubtedly be shortening your life and making it less enjoyable than necessary, you are probably also unwittingly spreading this very debilitating and serious disease and, moreover, will unwittingly be creating varying degrees of "hell" for your intimates. I know. I lost my family before I woke up to the family-and-life-threatening concomitants of this disease.

"Chained to the Desk" is extremely comprehensive, well-referenced, well organized, cogently argued, and replete with practical suggestions. Yet it suffers from a major flaw: it describes workaholics as "them" and leaves those of us who do not like to be described as "them" just as much "in the unknowing cold" as before. Nevertheless, if you can identify with Dr. Robinson's "them" without "turning off or away", studying this book will help you either escape or heal from workaholism. As for Dr. Robinson, well, since he was once himself severely addicted to work, he has another book to write for us in which I recommend his publisher insists that he substitute the words "we" and "us" for "they" and "them". Maybe then the Anglosphere will wake up to our gross, grievous, and ongoing failures to use technologies and techniques for the true and lasting benefit of both ourselves and our planet.
on September 22, 2007
"Chained to the Desk" is an excellent book for both the layperson and the clinician on workaholism. It provides an informative and clearly articulated discussion of the symptoms of workaholism, the possible causes, and how to fight it. The book's discussion of the addiction's impact on spouses and partners, children, friends, and work colleagues is particularly instructive. The author also provides a simple test for determining to what degree, if any, the reader suffers from workaholism. I highly recommend this book for the individual who is prone to taking her blackberry on vacation or is otherwise "chained to her desk" and for the those close to her who must suffer the consequences.
on March 28, 2007
The moment I got this book I could not put it down. It offered helpful information for a wife of a workaholic. It connected words with the feelings that have been felt, the frustrations and disappoints. It is a must read for anyone who is a workaholic, and who lives with one.
on January 24, 2007
This is an awesome book that describes the seriousness of the addiction. The biggest obstacle will be getting the workaholic to actually read it.
on August 7, 2006
Begrudgingly I began to read this book at my wife's request, not expecting much - what a surprise I was in for. Chapter after chapter led to new revelations about my own work addition and how it impacts others. What the author presents is a way to overcome a sick work ethic and replace it with a new attitude that allows you to make your life rich and rewarding. Whether you are work-motivated by money or personal interests, this book is highly recommended for anyone who can't leave work in the office or believes that work is the most important part of their life.