Professional restaurant supplies Textbook Trade In Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon The Jayhawks Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Made in Italy Amazon Gift Card Offer out2 out2 out2  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors Kindle Paperwhite UniOrlando Shop Now STEM

on October 30, 1999
This is a frightening look at workaholism (the addiction to adrenaline) and the different forms in which it manifests itself. Dr. Robinson's words will hit home if you are or know a workaholic. The book includes information on how to recognize the symptoms, the disease's affect on partners, children and co-workers as well as descriptions of workaholic company cultures, and why this disease is encouraged instead of treated. The book gives some help on steps towards managing the disease from the Workaholics Anonymous 12 step program and other programs. Like all other addictions, Dr. Robinson points out that there's no easy fix, especially since the workaholic still has to work. But the disease is as life threatening as any other chemical addiction. There are lists of resources offered including programs, books and tapes. Keep this one nearby when you need the facts.
22 comments|73 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 13, 2011
CHAINED TO THE DESK has has been my inspirational guidebook for years in both my personal life and mental and public health practice. It has helped me remember the importance of balance in our work lives and the impact when that is lost. We throw ourselves into activity and work in the quest to be productive, and in the process however unwittingly put ourselves at risk of losing not only our sense of selves but also those who we love.

The book as such provides a unique contribution to the field of human addictions. Workaholism is under-recognized and appreciated and often misunderstood, adding to personal and interpersonal problems in functioning when not addressed. A must read for those struggling with work balance, their families and friends. Mental health professionals might not only gain special insight into their clients and ways to motivate them and help them heal, but also identify personal issues that interfere with living mindfully and being the most effective provider possible.

The author makes masterful use of case histories of those struggling, their families and children. They provide detailed descriptions of what it means to grow up in a workaholic family with the intergenerational wounds that remain to be healed in order to prevent repetition.
on October 14, 2008
If you only read one book on workaholism, this should be it! It is informative, well-researched, and authentic (with narratives from real people) and includes a list of helpful resources such as Workaholics Anonymous. I found the chapter on the childhoods of workaholics especially touching.
on December 14, 2013
I live with a workaholic and this book is so right on that it can be scary. After 13 years of living with someone who is a work addict I can say everything said has been true. No doubt the core is something that occurred in childhood long before I came along as my husband's wife. Living with someone who enjoyed giving and providing for his family was enticing to me until I began to feel left behind in the dust.
on January 5, 2014
I purchased this book years ago, I've read it and re-read; purchasing additional copies for family and friends so many times I lost count.

I will put my hand up and say I'm a recovering workaholic.
What most people don't realise or talk about is that it is a day by day recover like many additictions.

You or the one your loved has to be at a point that they want to change the behaviour.
The book explains a lot about the different types workaholics, very easy to identify the type you or your loved one is and provides great real world examples that are very helpful.

If you or they are not quite there yet; ask them to just read the chaper/s about how the workaholic behaviour effects the loved ones.

Don't talk about it; just leave the book in the bookshelf where it can be found. In time you/ they will return to it.

For most it is not easy to go through or figure out why they/ we do what we do; Just give yourself or your loved ones time and space.

I've read many other books on the topic but this gives you the knowledge of where to start figuring out why you or they do what we do.
on April 18, 2013
This person has definitely encountered a workaholic before and knows how to deal with them accordingly! The conversations used were exactly like the ones I have heard! It was as if someone followed me around with a tape recorder. Excellent useful information.
on September 29, 2012
Be warned: this book seems aimed more at convincing practitioners that "workaholism is a real problem" and is not a book that has steps laid out like "do this and that to break you workaholic habit". Also the author only mentions in passing (literally like one sentence "oh by the way there may be other problems that are deeper which should also be addressed" but then never discusses how to find and address them. Which makes me wonder if following the guidelines in this book will actually fix the "real" underlying problems or not...be warned.
on November 21, 2012
Written in a very friendly manner that even the layman could understand, I thought the book was extremely thorough in its exploration of the topic, and even appears to be cited in many other reports and articles on the topic and which are readily available on the Internet. Whether or not this book has been convincing enough in its arguments for the psychiatric community to view workaholism as an addiction and not merely a compulsion, remains to be seen.

I thought the book was informative, albeit a little repetitive in places. I also felt the layout was not as logical as I would have expected from such a work. However, these are my only criticisms of the book and reason I did not rate the book with 5 stars.

Overall, well worth the reading.
on September 27, 2010
As the wife of a workaholic, this book provided much needed insight into his struggles.
on December 29, 2014
This is a great book and I think a copy could be helpful for all families.