Industrial Deals Books Holiday Gift Guide Shop Men's Athletic Shoes Learn more nav_sap_plcc_6M_fly_beacon Adele egg_2015 All-New Amazon Fire TV Beauty Deals Gifts Under $50 Amazon Gift Card Offer minions minions minions  Amazon Echo Starting at $84.99 Kindle Black Friday Deals Outdoor Deals on HTL

Format: DVDChange

on March 17, 2008
Following major knee surgery, I was unable to do traditional aerobic exercise as I was ordered not to put any weight on my leg. What a relief that I found this workout DVD! I did it right in my wheelchair with a full cast on my leg and still lost weight and toned up. The instructor does a great job of moving the viewer through traditional boxing moves at a pace that makes you break a sweat and burn calories--all the while sitting on your duff! The instructor, David Stamps, is very pleasant, enthusiastic, and easy on the eyes as well. There are 2 workouts on the DVD--one is a longer workout designed for maximum muscle toning and calorie burning, the other is a quick workout for when you may not have the time, or want a lighter workout. Both workouts made me break a sweat! I also feel like I could defend myself with the new boxing moves I learned. Thank you David Stamps for making this video--don't know what I'd have done without ya.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 9, 2009
I recently had foot surgery and am unable to stand on my feet for a long period of time or do high impact exercises. My usual workouts consist of running and P90X DVD's so I am fairly athletic. This video works well for someone who does have a physical handicap in their legs or feet which prevents them from standing much if at all. It works the upper body and abs. Obviously there isn't much being done to the lower body in terms of toning. One complaint for me is that the video wasn't long enough. I was just beginning to sweat when it was almost over! I could have kept going for sure. I am used to a much more intense and difficult workout though so maybe this is perfect for someone just starting their exercise routine. All in all, a decent video for someone like me recovering from an injury who's used to being active and doesn't want to just sit all day feeling helpless as far as working out goes.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 9, 2008
This dvd is a great work out and so much fun! The instructor keeps you motivated, explains things very well and is encouraging all the way through. I have A LOT of weight to get rid of and have limited mobility. I've tried a lot of the other sit and be fit dvds, but this is the one I keep coming back to. It's the only one I have found so far that really makes me feel like I'm working out and gets me sweating. Besides, how much fun is it to feel like you're punching the weight off! It might not be great for anyone with osteo problems but other than that I think just about anyone could do this workout.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on September 19, 2010
I am 26 and broke my ankle and cannot put any weight on it for at least 3 months, and it will be nearly a year until I can get close to my old fitness level. Before the injury I was running and doing yoga on a daily basis. I have tried out a number of workout videos, chair dancing and chair yoga, and this series is the best! It keeps you active and building muscles. I think it is the closest thing to a regular workout you can find if you are stuck in a chair. I highly recommend this series, especially the Boxing, for people of all ages and fitness levels.
on May 14, 2011
I broke my ankle a couple of months ago and have sought out alternative forms of exercise and this was exactly what I was looking for. It was fun, energetic, a great work out and the instructor was absolutely adorable. I'd recommend this work out for people of all ages and those who haven't been exactly physically fit lately and would like to ease their way back into physical shape..... This is a work out that you would look forward to doing on a daily basis.
on January 7, 2013
If you're disabled in any way, even if you can walk, sometimes it's nice to just do a workout in a chair. I say this as a woman who is missing my right leg. While I can walk and exercise with the prosthesis, my work-outs aren't quite as thorough as they are if I take the leg off and focus on exercising in a chair.

I really like this guy, I plan on buying more videos with him in them. This is the kind of video for someone who really enjoys being active but actually likes doing something different every now and then. Crunches and sit ups get boring after a while so take a break from them and box.

Plus, it gets a lot of frustrations out. :)
on July 1, 2010
This video has been wonderful for me. I have been on bed rest for over a month and doing this exercise cheers me up and makes me feel like I am not losing all my muscle tone. It is a great length for me- recovering from surgery...I would suggest rewinding it and going through the last 3 combos for a longer workout. The instructor makes me smile! He has a fantastic (adorably goofy) personality.
on August 19, 2012
I have a birth defect in my legs which keeps me from standing comfortably for more than a few minutes. It also keeps me from being able to do all the toe pointing and leg movements which are found in so many other seated exercise videos. This video has been just perfect for me. The instructor is very upbeat and (as noted by another reviewer) absolutely adorable - and you have to admire the enthusiasm he puts into flinging his body side to side! His enthusiasm makes the video fun, and somehow his comments ("Are you breathing? Of course you are!") always seem to come at just the right time.

The first time I used it, I was so out of shape that I was only able to get through the warmup and first set. But I worked my way up and now do the video daily. I bought a set of one-pound weights to add to the workout, and plan to use a balance ball to add to the workout. These aren't necessary, however - an armless dining chair or a stool will do fine. I have an elevated meditation stool, and use that. Staying balanced on the stool while leaning so far over gives a mild workout to the thighs, which pleases my doctor as well.

EDITED TO ADD: I thought it might be useful to others to have a little more information about the video itself. The video is divided into sets. The first is simply an explanation of the various punches (there's only about 4 - it's not complicated) and an opportunity to practice them. After the first couple of times watching the video, I just began to skip over that part. The next part begins at 3:00 and is a few minutes of warming up. It reaches a fairly intense level of exercise itself, so I always include it. Then come several sets (I think there's a total of four, plus a cool down section) with a break between each one so you have a good place to stop if you need to get a drink or take a breather. For me, the first three gradually come together to to a pretty intense aerobic level by set three, and then the fourth is less aerobic. The exercises all use the same punches you were taught previously, just in different arrangements, such as high and low punches to the side rather than just a jab to the front. Almost every exercise includes armwork, of course, but this video also focuses a lot on the waist, with a lot of turning at the waist and leaning over sideways, so someone with balance issues should be aware of this before attempting. The final section is a cool down section with relaxation and muscle stretches. Personally, while I always do the warmup, I usually skip the cool down - just because I'm an impatient sort. This can be a really good workout - but since it's on video rather than in person, there's no instructor to call you out if you slack off. You'll get out of it what you put into it.

I should probably add that I purchased the Amazon Instant Video edition. This makes it easy to get around in the video - OTOH I don't have any idea what navigation is like with the DVD version.

As the instructor says, "Chairboxing - good".
on July 22, 2007
I have had the privilege of taking this instructor's class in North Hollywood, CA and I must say it was an exhilirating workout session. So I was not at all disappointed by the Chair Aerobics. His enthusiatic personality and award winning smile engages the participant and makes them feel empowered to complete the chair exercises. This video is great not only for those confined to a chair to do exercises but also those who would like a change of pace in their workout regimen. I recommend it to EVERYONE who believes in taking care of their body in fun and in health.
on August 5, 2008
I recently had ankle surgery on both feet and am unable to do standing exercises. This DVD was just what I needed! The instructor is very engaging and keeps you from getting bored. I was skeptical about being able to burn calories while seated but I definitely worked up a sweat. Having the option of a full (approx. 35 mins) or quick workout is also a plus. Highly recommend this product.