5.0 out of 5 stars Only Chaka Can Do This!
I can't think of anyone else who has ever made an album like
this.Her follow up "Naughty" is more sleekly produced and carried out but in terms of thrills and innovation AND CK's need
Published on May 10, 2004 by Andre' S Grindle

3.0 out of 5 stars Chaka by Chaka Khan
Great album for it's time but I did not like it as much as I liked it back in the 80's - my music preferences are different now.
Published on March 19, 2006 by Janine Morgan

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Only Chaka Can Do This!, May 10, 2004
I can't think of anyone else who has ever made an album like
to make the public open their minds 'Chaka' is a treat."I'm Every Woman" is an anthem that is the only proper way to open this album while "Love Has Fallen On Me" is a sumpuous soul ballad that's not dissimilar to Areatha Franklins classic late
1960's Atlantic stuff."Sleep On It" and the classic George Benson duet "We Got The Love" mark the precise area where jazz and slick R&B's barrier's began to blur while the Philly soul-like "A Woman In A Man's World" discusses Chaka's place in the
music buisness.Then she rolls out the FOOT STOMPIN' fonk of
the delicious "Life Is A Dance","Some Love" and the DEEPLY
grooving "The Message In The Middle Of The Bottom",the only cut
here that remotely resembles Rufus.She tops things off with a vital cover of Stevie Wonder's "I Was Made To Lover Her".Her
brilliant,one-of-a-kind sonics (her singing goes WAY beyond vocal) and her impeccable taste in jazz oriented musicians like
Richard Tee,Phil Upchurch,The Breckers,David Sanborn and even
Airto Moreita give this album a distinct air of classiness that
alot of music from this era lacked.Good thing Chaka never dueted
with Airto's wife though;Chaka Khan and Flora Purim singing together on the same album could be dangerous.Too much fire.

5.0 out of 5 stars Classic Chaka, October 24, 2000
Michael A. Canty (Washington, DC United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Chaka (Audio CD)
Chaka's first solo release epitomizes the strength of a bird flying from the nest nurtured by a strong mother. Chaka's funky but jazzy style resonates in "We've Got The Love" a duet with George Benson. Her ability to turn a song into an experience in "Love Has Fallen On Me" and "I'm A Woman In A Man's World". If you enjoy improvization combined with a voice that can morph into many sounds (bird, horn, etc), this CD is for you.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Classic that I should've had years ago!, August 3, 2005
This review is from: Chaka (Audio CD)
Back in the 70's when singles were the rage, many of my purchases were of the 45 variety and Chaka Khan's hit "I'm Every Woman," along with the follow-up "Life is a Dance," was one of them.

I recently bought the complete first solo effort by the singer and what a great discovery did I make! After being at the forefront of the group Rufus, Khan struck out on her own with a ten-song collection of pop/R & B/jazzy tunes bearing her indominable style. Helmed by legendary producer Arif Mardin, Chaka is strong yet sensitive, passionate yet forceful, sensitive along with seductive, whatever the song calls for.

Highlights, besides the two chart-toppers, are "Love Has Fallen on Me," "Roll Me Through the Rushes," "Some Love," "A Woman in a Man's World," "The Message in the Middle of the Bottom," and a rousing gender-switching remake of Stevie Wonder's "I Was Made to Love Him".

If any contemporary singer wants some "diva lessons," then Khan is the professor to give instruction.

5.0 out of 5 stars HER FIRST SOLO OUTING AND A KILLER!, January 18, 2003
Jay Siekierski (STATEN ISLAND, N.Y. USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Chaka (Audio CD)
Chaka Khan - Chaka Warner Bros.
Finally Warner Bros. Records is re-issuing the legendary R&B songbird Chaka Khan's solo catalog on CD. This is great news
because only a couple have been issued in the U.S. and most have already been issued overseas. Kicking off her CD re-issues
is her first solo Chaka /Warner Bros. issued in '78 and includes the worldwide smash "I'm Every Woman". Other killer tunes
you'll find here are "Life Is A Dance" & "Some Love" and Chaka burns on both! Get ready to get knee deep in the saucy
FUNK with Chaka on those tunes! The 'sonics' are hot and you'll hear this girl voice like never before. Watch out when she
hits those high notes! All the original liner notes are featured along with new liner ups on Chaka. Now lets get the rest of her
CD's out ASAP!

5.0 out of 5 stars excellent, July 15, 1999
By A Customer
This review is from: Chaka (Audio CD)
This is a great introduction to Chaka's work. It contains the 'national woman anthem', "I'm Every Woman" and a great duet with George Benson, "We Were Made For Each Other." Other great songs are, "Roll Me Through the Rushes," "Some Love" and Stevie Wonder's, "I was Made to Love Him." Great production from Arif Mardin and great musicians, a talented singer, a great album...guaranteed!

4.0 out of 5 stars Great CD, October 13, 1999
By A Customer
This review is from: Chaka (Audio CD)
After hearing the first three tracks on this CD, you'll know why her break from Rufus was a must. Although Rufus featuring Chaka Khan was an awesome band, Chaka really comes into her own with this one. It remains difficult for me to get past "Love Has Fallen on Me" and "Roll Me Through the Rushes", but when I do, I find more treats. This is a great CD and must be added to your Chaka Khan collection.

5.0 out of 5 stars Roll Me Through the Rushes, March 24, 2008
This review is from: Chaka (Audio CD)
Wow...this song speaks to my heart! I bought the cd and still have the album. If you like the "vintage, familiar sound" of Chaka, get this cd. Thanks for the fond memories!

5.0 out of 5 stars hidden gem, December 21, 2006
This review is from: Chaka (Audio CD)
R&B is branded with well known names like Aretha, James, Marvin, etc.. But a big brand doesnt allways brings the best, sometimes small hidden gems beat the big brands, just like chaka does....

5.0 out of 5 stars When Chaka screams:"I've got it-you know that SHE GOT IT!, October 8, 2004
Ricky A. Moody Jr. (Pittsburgh, PA United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Chaka (Audio CD)
I bought this album with the expectation that it would not have been as good as her rufus albums-boy was I wrong. Chaka (black panther/primal wailer) Khan, never dissapoints. The whole damn joint is good. "Roll me through the Rushes" is a song that you might consider as a filler at first, until midway, when youal realize this is Chaka at her smoldering best. My favorite is Stevie's "I was made to love Him"; Chaka may have took over ownership from the great Mr. Wonder. I mean her interpretation is raw-soul, raw-emotion, natural talent. Chaka Khan is a soul music martyr, a soul sister who defines the term. Peace and blessings, HOTEP. CHAKA KHAN IS IT!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Terrific, January 31, 2014
This review is from: Chaka (Audio CD)
This is one of her best ever. Am repurchasing it because I played it for a friend in the car and they stole my cd. LOVE Chaka Khan and can play this cd over and over without ever getting sick of it.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Chaka
Chaka by Chaka Khan (Audio CD - 1998)
Rate and Discover Movies