From the Publisher
Challenge Your Taxes explains the basic methods used in evaluating property, describing the common mistakes made by assessors. Readers will learn how to determine what their property is really worth and--in the case of an unfair assessment--how to prepare and present a successful appeal.
From the Back Cover
How to save hundredseven thousandsof dollars a year in property taxes You cant escape paying property taxes, but you can avoid paying more than you have to. This authoritative new guide explains how. Written by an experienced real estate counselor, Challenge Your Taxes helps you evaluate your property assessment and pinpoint any inaccuracies that, once amended, could dramatically reduce your tax bill. With proven guidelines and practical tips, youll learn how to determine what your property is really worth, qualify your property for a deduction, andin the case of an unfair assessmentprepare and present a successful appeal. Heres where youll find complete details on:
- Property valuationfair market value, comparable sales and cost approach, amenity considerations
- Assessorswho they are, what they do, and what they look for
- Checking your property informationstudy your property record file, confirm property category, use sales/assessment ratio to establish fair value
- Common assessment errorsmiscalculated land area, incorrect judgment of condition, comparable sales ignored, wrong zoning classification
- Assessment appealssummary of procedure, presentation checklist, the appeal board, abatements
Packed with helpful worksheets and numerous examples, as well as sample forms and addresses of state appeals agencies, this indispensable resource has everything you need to Challenge Your Taxes successfully.