1,226 Reviews

5.0 out of 5 stars Tip for those who complain of short range
Published on July 22, 2010 by EPS

2.0 out of 5 stars Very short range
Easy to program, but I have to be less than 15' from the door for it to work. The old style Chamberlain Clicker worked much better.
Published on September 7, 2008 by Wayne A. Franklin

5.0 out of 5 stars Tip for those who complain of short range, July 22, 2010
EPS (West Columbia, SC) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Chamberlain KLIK1U Clicker Transmitter Universal Garage Door Remote Control (Tools & Home Improvement)
I got mine set up fairly quickly. Didn't work the first time, so I reversed all the switches on the opener and did it again, and that did the trick. But I then found the range to be very short - less than 10 feet - no good! But what I also found was that I was expecting to press the button 16 times for a Stanley opener, yet 14 did the trick (i.e. the door was activated on the 14th press.) 14 is for a multicode (I take that to mean generic.) So I programmed it again, but this time did the full 16 presses, and now my range is very good - along the lines of 100 feet. Also, if you're curious (I was) - how does it control 2 doors with only 1 set of DIP switches? It remembers the settings during activation. So you set it to match one door, do the programming step, then set it to match the switches on your second door and do the programming step for it. Great unit and highly recommend!

5.0 out of 5 stars Wow! Am I happy!, August 3, 2008
KBSt "KBSt" (San Francisco, CA United States) - See all my reviews
My Genie opener was installed in 1990, and I had dropped the remote for what turned out to be the last time. I had searched and found out that model remote was no longer made. I took a chance and ordered the Clicker. When the Clicker arrived, I found the reference to my unit. I knew about the DIP switches inside my existing remote, and the Clicker instructions told me to program the DIP switches inside the Clicker just the same. (This is only true for specific models of openers, remotes and year installed - others use the programming button on the receiver). I followed the clear directions: they seemed a bit odd, but I followed them exactly (17 clicks) and voila! ~ the garage door opened! I programmed the other door as well, and now I have one compact remote to open both doors. I cannot believe it took me so long to find the solution, and it took less than five minutes to program the two doors. Wow! Am I happy! The instructions are clear and detailed, and you just need to follow them exactly. I actually missed the first time and simply started over, following more carefully.

5.0 out of 5 stars It worked for me. Easy and fast pairing., February 8, 2012
Length:: 2:45 Mins

5.0 out of 5 stars Does have dip switches, April 18, 2011
I have a very, very old Genie garage door opener without intellicode.. it requires 390mhz and 12 dip switches. This remote worked with my garage door. The instructions included are very easy to follow.

It is very lightweight (compared to the original remote), and much more compact than the original remote. It will work from across the street (just as the original one did), though I can't comment on whether it works from farther away then that since I have not done any extensive testing. It seems to have a slight delay from when I press the button to when it opens the door - slightly longer than the original remote had, but I can deal with that I guess. I don't know how long the battery lasts, or how sturdy the construction is. It uses one of those coin batteries, not the sort that I'd have laying around the house already... will be a pain if I have to change it often. So far so good, though.

****UPDATE Feb.2013****

This remote still works, and I have not yet had to replace the battery. I bought this remote in April 2011, and here it is Feb. 2013 and it still works as well as when I bought it. I'm impressed!

****UPDATE Nov.2013****

We finally had to replace the battery over the summer. It was not working every time we pushed the button, and it would not work from as far away as it used to. Putting in a new battery fixed all the problems. It was a little bit of a pain to get the old battery out, but I managed.

I also want to note that I have dropped this remote several times, a few times on concrete and a few times into wet snow, and the remote did not sustain any noticeable damage. I think it's held up really well. I've updated my review to 5 stars.

5.0 out of 5 stars Worked like a champ, January 8, 2010
This worked like a champ.

There are dip switches and a programmable mode so you can get most (not all) brands programmed into here.
Read the manual before purchasing to find out if you're brand may/may not be supported
[...]

As an FYI, the reason I purchased this one is because it covers almost every MHz that is used by garages. I programmed mine for a commercial building that is quite old.

A list of compatible devices included in the manual includes:
Brand / Type or Color of Smart button / years
Wayne Dalton / Rolling Code 372.5 MHz / 99 - Current
Chamberlin / 9 Position /90 - 92

(dip switches)
Brand / Description / Year
Chamberlin / 9 Position (or 9 Position Canada) / 90-92 (83-89 for Canada)
Genie / 12 Position / 85
Linear Multicode / 10 Position / 76
Chamberlin / 8 Position / 83-89
Stanley/Multicode / 10 Position / 76
Genie / 9 Position / 85
Linear Moore-O-Matic / 8 Position / 76
Chamberlin / 7 Position / 83-89

2.0 out of 5 stars Very short range, September 7, 2008

4.0 out of 5 stars Good product, bad instructions for Genie openers, November 21, 2012
R. Marquez (DENHAM SPRINGS, LA, US) - See all my reviews
This product works great but it took me forever to figure out how to program it. The instructions provided did not include accurate descriptions of programming. So here they are:

Genie Promax: Chain Glide 2 --- model: PCG700ML
1. Press and hold the program button on the remote (located inside the battery compartment) until the light on the remote stays on
2. Press the smart learn button located on the garage door opener. A red light should start blinking slowly.
3. Slowly press the desired button (button 1 or 2) until the red light on the opener stops blinking and turns solid red
(should be 5 times).
4. Wait until red light goes off!
5. Press program button on remote (the one inside the battery compartment)
6. Finished!!

Would have given it 5 stars but would should have taken me 2 minutes, ended up taking me 30 minutes of trial and error.

1.0 out of 5 stars Customer Service Non-Existent, March 26, 2010
Got it to work with the garage door but it won't work with the gate. Range from the garage door is about 15 feet, max.

The directions on the paper that comes with the remote refers people to their website and an 800 number. All the website does is present you with the manual (same piece of paper) in pdf format; when you want the manual, when you have a question, when you go to the support page and request support. Calling the 800 number, the automated voice reads you the same manual (piece of paper). Plan on about 10 minutes of instructions before it offers the option of speaking to a live person, then plan on being on hold indefinitely. I never did get a live person on the phone. The website offers support via e-mail. We're a week and still waiting....

If you buy this and have trouble with it, you can save yourself a lot of frustration by just returning it for a refund. If you want to support a company with this kind of customer service in the first place. Be forewarned, they do the same thing with their garage door opener "support". The lights are on but no one's there, you're on your own.

1.0 out of 5 stars Also Horrid !!, March 31, 2008
Did not work on an older Craftsman door opener.......

Ad says that it works on ALL models......another ad says 99 % of the models out there.....

I guess I'm in the 1 % category......:(

1.0 out of 5 stars FALSE ADVERTISING, March 1, 2012
STOP if you own an OVERHEAD door garage door opener! These are not universally compatible with Overhead Door despite being advertised as such. Older Overhead Door openers will not work with this product as it is incapable of certain frequencies. After buying this and spending a couple hours trying to get it to work/researching online I found mine (a 1000/1000a Overhead Door model) runs at 360 hz and is NOT compatible with this unit.

I now get to eat half the cost shipping it back due to false claims. Don't chance it - it turns out there are specific remote units that are compatible with your legacy Overhead Door product. Open the box surrounding the motor and look for a frequency code (mine was 360) and search for Overhead Door 360 (or whatever your frequency is) to find a compatible remote for YOUR door.

Chamberlain should be paying the return shipping on this one... what a crock.

ARRAY(0xa50b8ccc)