5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect generator for emergency needs
Published on September 2, 2010 by L. Kent

1.0 out of 5 stars Defective with poor support.
Published on June 7, 2011 by Wayne A. Hergert

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect generator for emergency needs, September 2, 2010
L. Kent (Sint Maarten) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Champion Power Equipment 42433 1,500 Watt 80cc 4-Stroke OHV Gas Powered Portable Generator (CARB Compliant) (Discontinued by Manufacturer) (Lawn & Patio)
Bought this generator in the aftermath of Hurrican Earl as we live in the caribbean, followed the instructions and the set fired up with a single pull. Works great, Filled up the tank, attach the fans, lights and TV and worked perfectly. You will need to switch loads as it cannot power all in once, but at daytime we have the fridge running on it, at night we switch it over.

Very recommendable if you are looking for a portable generator which is really portable and has enough power for most equipment.

4.0 out of 5 stars Not bad generator at all, October 10, 2010
The built quality seems to be very good. The only plastic part I see is the oil dipstick and everything else is metal or steel. That should provide sturdiness and should last a long time even with some physical abuse. I placed it on weight scale and it's about 60 pounds, which can be moved around the deck/garage/outdoors without wheels. Weight was a big factor over heavier generators.

I plan to keep the generator for power outages to keep essential lighting on. I took a 15A wire and attached a 3-prong plug at both ends. To test, I shut off the main circuit breaker in the house. Then I connected one end of the wire to the generator and the other end to an outlet in the house. That powered just about everything in the house except the refrigerator. In order for the refrigerator to work, I had to dedicate the whole generator output to the fridge. At least the garage door (1/2 HP) opened while running on the generator, although a little slowly.

My requirement is met, but I wished it had more juice. The title on the product is misleading. Actually, the generator has starting watts of 1500, maximum of 1200 watts and continuous of 1080 watts. Don't believe the product heading because the manufacturer's box doesn't state that.

The things I really liked are that it has 10A circuit breaker to prevent overload or fire and it has low oil shut-off to prevent engine damage. Most importantly, it is very fuel efficient. The noise level is less than a lawn mower. You can hear some noise within 45 feet of the generator. At least the neighbors won't be bothered by it if their windows are closed. But if the power outage occurs during storms, they'll wish they had one of these.

1.0 out of 5 stars Defective with poor support., June 7, 2011
I purchased this generator on 04/04/2011. When the generator arrived it was unpacked and tested. When filling the fuel tank, the fuel gauge stuck at less than 1/4 tank level with the tank full. After starting the generator the digital display was reading the wrong voltage. The actual no load output voltage was fluctuating between 114VAC and 120VAC. A 100 watt load was attached and the measured output voltage was fluctuating between 103VAC and 107VAC.

The seller, RVToast, was notified that the generator was defective and they said to contact Champion Power Equipment, (CPE), for the repairs. Also I asked RVToast why a model, 40005, was shipped in place of the advertised model 42433. They replied "he 2 model numbers are the for the same unit, the packaging from Champion is what differates the number per Champion. Amazon sets the ad and uses the model number and we have no control over that part of it."

The generator was taken to Small Engine World, in Naples, Florida for repairs. When I arrived, an employee said they don't work on CPE Generators or equipment. I returned home and called Champion Power Equipment. They called Small Engine World and talked to the owner reminding them they have an agreement with them to do warranty repairs. I returned to Small Engine World, on 04/13/11, and they accepted the generator for repair. I explained the problems the generator has. The employee I talked to said they don't work on generators and do not know what they could do.

On 05/02/11 I received a call saying the generator was ready. I went to pick it up on the morning of 05/03/11. Before putting in my car, I did some quick checks and noticed the digital meter still was not working. They took it back and said they would order a new digital meter.

On 05/18/11, I called Champion Power Equipment to ask why the excessive delay in getting the generator repaired. They called Small Engine World and were told that the wrong meter was ordered and a new meter was going to be ordered later in the day. I told Champion Power Equipment to forget it as I was going to contact Amazom.com for their A to Z guarantee. He said I should pick up the generator and take it as the generator is ready except for the meter. I could take it back when the new meter arrives to finish the repairs..

On 05/19/11 I picked up the generator and returned home with it. I started it and found that the problem with the fluctuating voltage and frequency had not been addressed. I allowed the generator to run for 10 minutes and drained the fuel and oil from it. The fuel system was hot air purged for 8 hours to remove all gasoline vapors then filled with an inert gas.

On 06/07/11 I shipped the generator back to the seller per instructions from Amazon.com at a cost of $58.57 pain to UPS. I hope I can recover the shipping charges.

Champion Power Equipment does not have warranty repair centers in southwest Florida that can provide prompt and competent service.

A final note is that RVToast is doing the old "Bait and Switch" selling these generators. The generator that was shipped was not a model 42433 as advertised, but an older model 40005 manufactured on 07/05/2007.

In the light of full disclosure, part of my business is repair and maintenance of power generation equipment. Some of my clients have me order and have their generator delivered to me to assemble, test, and deliver to them. However, I do not do warranty repairs for free. The repairs I do are billed on an hourly rate.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very good value, July 12, 2011
After yet another storm which cut our power for who knows how many days, I went ahead and got this generator @ the Gander Mountain store in Geneva, IL. It was an open box. A lady before me returned it that very morning as it wouldn't start for her. The spark plug cable was disconnected. As an open box, I paid $200 for it, brand new, never run, oil and a full tank of gas were already in! :-) Started on first pull, if following the directions.

Can handle:
Right now, I'm simultaneously running on it:
2 box fans
32" flat screen TV, VCR and Netflix box
Mac mini, 24" LCD, speakers, modem, 2 routers, 5 external HDDs, VoIP house phone
Refrigerator/Freezer - it slows down a little when fridge kicks in
...without a hiccup, voltage keeps up @ 125V no sweat, nowhere near choking

Startup:
From my observation, this procedure is the best for cold starts:
1/ unhook all appliances
2/ open gas valve
3/ set choke to full
4/ switch set to off
5/ pull twice to prime the carb
6/ switch set to on
7/ pull once...starts like a champ, when it does, quickly open the choke
8/ let it run for 2-3 min to warm up before connecting any appliances
Warm start after refill is easier, just flip the switch and pull. always disconnect all appliances
When plugging in appliances, plug in the heaviest one first (fridge, running stove or microwave)

Pros:
Reasonably quiet - actually surprisingly quiet, suitable for running in your back yard. Quiet enough for an RV, if kept behind an obstacle. Rated for 63dB
Can keep the basic appliances running in case of emergency
Tiny and light enough even for a woman to pick up.
Recoil pull is very light and smooth, in case you have a bad shoulder or elbow, it's only an 80cc engine, so it won't need much convincing
Has a digital gauge which shows either - Volts, Frequency in Hz or total runtime in hours
Has an EZRead mechanical fuel level gauge on top of the tank
Easy on gas - with TV, fans, PC and fridge, freezer, I can run for 6 hours while nearly maxing it out
Awesome value for summer stormy hot days
Sensitive appliances, such as laptops, routers, modems, TVs and cell phones have no problems with it what so ever!

Cons:
Not really any. For what it is meant to do, it does it and it does it very well.
It won't pull an electric stove and a fridge or microwave all at the same time, but again, it is not meant to. Just swap the appliances around as you need them.

5.0 out of 5 stars Power When you Need it., March 4, 2011
I got this product simply to run a laptop and light,and it is a great feeling to know that I can plug in more with this 1200 watt model.The Carb is E.P.A complient and at half load will run for 10 hours on 1.2 gallons of gas,awesome.With just my laptop running I get 14 hours on 1.2 gallons of gas.Easy set up instructions and oil fill and change is simple with no need to mix the gas and oil like on smaller 2 stroke models which is a pain.Right out of the box it started on the first pull.The low oil shut off feature and digital display of running hours are great extras.Weighing 62 pounds I can pick it up easy enough and move it around.I am happy with this light duty machine and it is not as noisy as I thought it would be.

5.0 out of 5 stars GREAT PRODUCT & SUPPORT, July 17, 2011
I just bought this generator today, and I am impressed. Champion put itself in the shoes of its customers, and delivered on everything.

Easy to assemble: 4 rubber feet and a spark arrester, 10 minutes.

Oil & gas: another 10 minutes.

Manual written in English, English, and not Chinese English (done on heavy glossy stock paper).

They have a 24 hour hotline, and the people are helpful (I called before I bought).

Generator started on third pull (great since there had not been any gas in the thing prior).

I called another company, and asked about the type of spark plugs in their generator. They did not know. If you know anything about small engines, you always buy the exact spark plug they reccommend. First company didn't know, and I have waited for three days for an answer,,,,sorry boys. Champion has several NGK plugs listed for different operating conditions.

Cast iron sleeve, a sign of quality.

After I started the generator, I gave it a tough test. I have a heavy duty worm-drive carpenters saw rated at 13 amps. This exceeds the stated capacity, especially, on startup. I surprized that I did not blow the circuit breaker. Product seems to exceed its rated capacity.

And, as I said earlier, Champion Power seems to have thought of every conceiveable thing relating to this product. A funnel to fill the oil. A socket to remove the spark plug. These guys have their s@#t together.

Great job!

4.0 out of 5 stars Not Bad at All, June 21, 2011
This little generator is not bad at all. Once it arrived in the mail. I added the oil and read the starting instuctions and it started right up without any problems. I ran it for about 2 hours outside and it putted alittle bit here and there, but ran just fine. I wanted to test it , so later that night. I hooked it up in the back on my patio and wanted to see what emergency things it could run. I just got this generator for quick emergency situations and camping.

I hooked it up out back with these things attached. First I had a flood light and then I added two small lamps at 75 watts apiece. Then I hooked up my small LCD TV and the cable box to it and it kept on running. Then I hooked up my alarm system even though it had a back up battery, just wanted to see what it could run. At this time still running smoothly. Last I hooked up my wife's computer and cell phone. This little generator will help you in a quick emergency situation and works well. I;m sure it will work just fine out camping also. ITs not for running awhole lot of stuff in your home.

It is a tad loud, but that's to be expected. If you want something a little quieter, you will have to cough up about $1000 dollars more for a Honda, and believed me for the money its not going to be that much quieter. Yes it will be about 8 to 10 db's quieter, but in a emergency situation who's thinking about how quiet it is. Just give me some power, that's the main thing.

One thing that would be nice and the only reason I gave it a 4, is because of the 10A socket, should be at least 15 or maybe 20 amp fuse. Don't get me wrong, I knew it had a 10 amp fuse and that is ok, just saying would be nicer if it was a larger amp fuse.

I would recommend this product for emergency and camping, its a great and good product with a excellent warrenty.

2.0 out of 5 stars didn't last long, July 26, 2011
bought the 1200/1500 and it lasted for 1.8 hours before the stator went out. got it fixed under warranty. see if it lasts this time.

5.0 out of 5 stars Champion 1,500 Watt generator, August 12, 2011
No complaints from me in any way. This little gem started and ran right out of the box after I added fuel and checked the oil. We used it often the first week because we camp in a 5th Wheel in a remote area using solar power. When the batteries didn't charge because of the overcast or rainy weather, the generator not only did the charging but ran our microwave, lights and fans as well. This is a great piece of equipment.

4.0 out of 5 stars Kind of loud, but works great in extreme conditions, January 8, 2013
Purchased this generator for Burning Man. While it's pretty loud, the price was nice. I was able to create a baffle for the generator which pretty much eliminated the noise. You couldn't hear it beyond 5'. It also ran the entire week (didn't have it running the whole week. But about 60 hours) at Burning Man in the Nevada desert. 100F temps, dust, and elevation were no problem. Only 4 stars because of the noise, but it's bearable. Would love one of those expensive Honda's but this one did the trick.

I ran a large home stereo and surround system, a deep cell battery charger, and a bunch of christmas lights with no problem. Could have put way more on it.

It didn't really smell bad at all. Not a lot of noticeable exhaust.

A good value