on August 14, 2011
Bought this unit about a month ago. I already own 2 champion generators as I live in the country and rely on solar power for my needs. Been using a 4000 watts gas daily for my travel trailer, and a 5000 watts propane whenever I need 220 volts or heavy power to run my contractor's tools. Both have been very reliable.
Wanted something quiet and fuel efficient for movie watching at night without the background noise.
So far, this unit has performed to my expectations.
Same quality as the other 2 generators, much lighter to carry around, easy to understand instructions.If you put gas in it, fill up the oil, and don't forget to turn on the main switch, the gas, and the tank breather on the filler cap, it will start on first pull. ( first time users might have to practice the pull. Whimpy pulls won't do it, and "gorilla" pulls will break the cord . Use common sense. )
On the first night, I powered a 24" TV and a DVD player, + a couple lights in trailer. The generator handled the job in the "economy" mode and was super quiet. It does not make much more noise in the "standard" mode either.
Best is to put it on a foam pad to absorb vibrations and limit noise.
Fuel consumption is less than half of my 4000 watts champion.
I was considering a Honda or a Yamaha at twice the price. Since I use it everyday, money was not the main concern. But Champion is one of the few brands that has good follow up if you need help, and most small repair shops are able to fix them. Parts are available.
Needless to say, either one needs maintenance at regular intervals. Follow instructions, and don't loose the manual.
And don't expect this thing to run your air conditioning ! Read the specs and inform yourself before purchase.

For whatever it's worth, I was a mechanic on aircrafts for 10 years, and after that a general contractor for 25 years. And I use only professional tools.
on September 6, 2011
This review is geared toward people who go "dry camping" with people who don't like "roughing" it...

I recently purchased this generator for my lightweight hybrid camper after debating about it for months. I tend to be long-winded about these things so let me say up front that my only regret with this purchase is that I waited too long. The generator is everything that it's represented to be. I love it.

Now, if you have time, read the following:

I purchased my unit for "dry" camping in the boondocks (no power or other hookups) with a wife who likes her bathroom, her shower, and her kitchen gadgets like the coffee maker.

This unit will not run the typcial RV AC unit, but the fact is you should know that.

Neither the manufacturer nor the retailer ever make that claim. In fact, Champion advertises (recommends) a single 2,000-watt unit for "tent camping." Obviously, you can parallel this unit with a kit and a second unit for more demanding use (like pulling the AC unit on your RV.) Even if your needs dictate that you have to go this route, you'll still end up spending less than buying one of the "name-brand" 2000-watt generators, if you shop smart.

We camp a lot in The Great Smoky Mountains National Park where we don't typically need to run an AC unit, day or night. What we do need (and what this generator is appropriate for) is a two- or three- hour (or more) unintrusive (quiet) charge for our deep-cycle battery sets before they get too low, for a small electric coffee maker, and for small kitchen appliances (like my wife's "smoothy" maker.)

It's also very light weight for a generator (48 lbs, I think?)

If you're using this thing for dry camping and you have a "hot water" wife like mine, this generator will make your trip more enjoyable for a comparitvely small investment. It's as quiet and as light as the "name brand" generators that my buddies carry with them, but cost me a lot less.

If running an AC unit had been the "end all, be all" of my generator purchase I guess I would have just bought a name brand 3000-watt generator. I didn't have the money, and it wasn't that important.

At the end of the day it's your choice. Some say go "name brand" if you have the extra cash. I don't and I've been extremely happy, which begs the question, "Why would you spend more if you don't have to?"

Be aware that the manufacturer has specific engine oil recommendations but doesn't package oil with this unit (at least with mine). If you're planning on starting it up right after buying it, you better get a quart of oil. Be careful filling it... the unit has a low oil shutdown feature.

I hope you enjoy this unit as much as I have mine.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on October 7, 2011
I tested a new Champion 2000 watt inverter generator before buying it. Per its owner's manual, it handles loads up to 1600 running watts or 13.3 amps. My test results below show that it does not provide enough power to support some power tools below 1600 Watts and 13.3 amps. However, I purchased the unit because I expected it to test as shown below and I only need it for light duty tools and pumps. I live in a quiet neighborhood so the generator's relatively quiet noise level (for a power generator) fits the bill for me. I wasn't willing to spend a lot more money for the Honda or Yamaha inverter generators, which clearly deliver the power they advertise. I am giving only three stars for my Champion 2000 watt inverter generator because it does not generate power as advertised. But if you are ok with the power it in fact delivers, then you will be good to go.

Test Results:

Failed - Chain Saw (13 amps, 120 volts, 1560 watts)
Failed - Skill Saw (13 amps, 115 volts, 1495 watts
Passed - Sump Pump (9 amps, 115 volts, 1035 watts)
Passed - Sawzall (8 amps, 115 volts, 960 watts)
Passed - Clothes Washer (8 amps, 115 volts, 920 watts)
Passed - Refrigerator (6.5 amps, 115 volts, 748 watts)
Passed - Brewing Pump (6.5 amps, 115 volts, 748 watts)
Passed - Chest Freezer (5 amps, 115 volts, 575 watts)

Happy generator hunting!

Aloha!
2828 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on August 20, 2011
So this is my 2nd and 3rd Champion Generators. I picked these up from Costco. We were intially saving up for a set of Yamaha 1600's or a 2100, but instead decided on these when we saw them. I just received my parallel kit, and they work great. Start right up, like my 3500 did, and provide enough juice for my Microwave, my AC, but not both. During my tests I was running my fridge as well. They're Champions...Don't expect a bunch of dynamic headroom. They provide EXACTLY what they say they will, but nothing over that. You want headroom, buy a Honda or Yamy. I love them both, but own Champion. Champions are QUIET! Standing in my 2011 Windjammer 3065 with the gens stacked right next to the trailer, I couldn't hear them with the AC on. It will not run both the Micro and the AC at 5200 feet, but either one or the other without issue. I may hook up my O'Scope to see what the wave looks like, but others have reported clean sign wave and frequency and a voltage that is pretty stable. My AC is 13,500 and my micro is 1.2KW.
Please don't hesitate to contact me with questions.
Ct..
1414 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on September 3, 2012
After reading about the Champion Inverter generators I knew they were exactly what I was looking for at the cost I wanted. I picked up two of these used for the price of one at a Costco return warehouse.

We use the generator when tent camping to power any devices we want to bring along (TV, radio, phone/camera chargers, laptop, air compressor, grey water evaporator, etc). With the exception of hooking up the air compressor when 4-wheeling, I never run them at full power, running them at the 25% "econ" setting while managing the wattage of the devices I hook up to the generator. Even though the gas tank only holds one gallon I truly get at least 9 hours of use at the econ setting. They are so quiet at that setting I don't worry about disturbing the neighbors at all. Even at full power it is fairly quiet. Plus it generates much less exhaust than the noisy generators that are equipped on most RVs. When those RV generators are running you can't even hear the Champion.

On a recent trip to a well-known desert art festival we took both generators, one to keep as a backup in case the other failed due to the high heat and/or alkali dust environment (usually we only take one when camping). I used only one of the generators the entire week we were there, running it during the hottest time of the day continuously for 3-6 hours, often in dusty conditions that had us wearing goggles and N95 dust masks. The little Champion powered on without so much as a hiccup.

The only time the generator was hard to start was when when I failed to shut off the fuel following use, basically flooding the engine. If you religiously follow the easy startup and shutdown procedures, ensuring you shut off the fuel after use, the generator will always start on the first pull. This is a great little generator for what we use it for.
on April 9, 2011
We purchased two of these generators along with the optional 30 amp RV plug connecter. The generators are stackable with the 30amp connecter sitting between the two, the generators syncronize thus giving you enough power to run an RV airconditioner and then some. If less power is required then they can stand alone and one would be sufficient to run lights etc. They are very quiet (can have a normal conversation right next to both of them running), very easy to start and are very competitively priced. The price of two, would equal the cost of one of the other Inverter brands. Being light weight they are easily picked up and moved around.
A recent purchase, so cannot comment on their longevity, however very satisfied with them so far.
on July 24, 2011
Well, ..., this was a decision that I really agonized over. There are so many choices some of them very expensive other's very cheap, some Eco unfriendly while other's very Eco friendly. So imagine my surprise when I happened on this unit. The price is 1/4 that of the Honda yet it operates just as well, is Eco friendly and comes in at the same db rating (53-59db) as the Honda. I have compared this generator to a 2000 watt Honda (running) unit and I couldn't tell the difference. I really like the stackable feature of the unit. This is a very useful design feature as it allows you maximize your camping space without having a lot of equipment lying about. Also, the feet raise it an inch off of the ground which keeps the bottom of the unit from resting on the ground.

Now as far as power goes the unit operates at 1600watts of output yielding a burst 2,000 watts (1 - 5 minutes) for startup of motored driven units e.g. a camper air conditioner. 1 generator is not enough to start a 13,500 BTU Camper AC unit. You need two generators and the communications cable (synchronizes the output of the generators). BTW, the synchronization cable and 30A camper outlet integrate nicely into the stacked frame so it looks very nice and not "tacked-on" as some of the other generators do.

To start the AC, the economy mode must be off to accept the current drain at startup. This is due, in my case, to the power drain that my camper / inverter / battery charger places on the system. I'm in the process of examining an intelligent bypass switch that will fix this problem & will update this report later with my findings. For now however, I have to start the AC in 'non-Economy' mode. Once the AC starts I can switch the generators over to Economy mode with no problems.

Both Tech Support from Generators-Plus and Champion have been great and answered a lot of questions (this is the first generator I've ever owned) and given great advice on using the generators. I did have an idling issue (rough idle in economy mode) with one of the generators (this did not affect the generation of power) after I had it a couple of weeks. However, Generators-Plus gladly replaced the unit with no problems. The Generators are easy to carry (IMHO) and start (generally, on the first pull). Maintenance is pretty easy to perform as well.

As a result, I'm very happy with the product. It performs up to my expectations and I recommend it as a great alternative to the more expensively priced inverting generators that you'll find on the market.
66 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on May 3, 2013
First things first, no they r not as quite as the Honda's. They r however real close. I bought 2 of these and a parallel adapter to use for April NASCAR camping. You never know what u will need, heat or ac and I used both. They both started on the first or second pull and had no problems running my 13,500 ac. On the first night I had to use ac. The ac started but drug down a little. Never trapped the overload. They ran n high idle all night and ran out of gas before morning. Needless to say I was pissed. Upon investigation I found that my inside fridge was on electric and my outside 110 mini fridge was on. These two little guys had run my ac, invert and both fridges half the night. I was impressed. Once I pulled my head out of my rear and got my fridge n the right mode and unplugged my outside one they ran with no issues and cycled as designed. Ran one or the other almost continuous for four days. Used about 7 gallons of gas and no oil. All of my friends that went (8 trailers n about 17 people) commented on how quite and efficient they were. Even the guy with the two Hondas. Here is where I need to let you know that at last year's race I used those two Hondas and yes they ran everything bit had trouble starting my ac. Bang for your buck the Champion is a good generator.
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on May 11, 2011
After several recent power outages due to storms, I looked for a small, quiet generator to run our refridgerator, TV and electronics. We have gas heat and cooking. This little unit handles our needs with ease - running in econ mode. It starts on the first pull and is surprisingly quiet. TVs and computers seem to like the clean power from this little inverter.

Even though it only weighs 48 lbs., I bought a cheap furniture dolly to roll it out to my driveway. I also bought a super heavy-duty chain and lock so it wouldn't walk away.

I took the time to wire in two inexpensive, easy-to-install Reliance manual transfer switches (available through Amazon), so now I can be up and running under generator power in about two minutes. I don't have to string extension cords throughout the house.
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on April 11, 2011
I just picked up my Champion Generator today from Sams Club. Paid $500. It fired right up and so far i'm very impressed. The quality seems great for the price. I have been messing with it the past couple of hours trying out different electronics. I plan to use it for our camper. I may pick up a 2nd one if we decide we need the AC unit. It's usually cooler temp. where we go camping. I've used the Honda EU2000 generators many times and this is a very similar generator. When running on eco mode it seems to be just as quiet as the honda. When revved all the way up it might be a little louder but not bad at all. Time will tell how durable this unit is but for now I give it a 5 star rating and would highly recommend it to anyone. I usually spend the extra buck to get something a little better quality but in this case I felt good about the Champion Generator and I think it's a great deal.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...