4.0 out of 5 stars Changes Could Be Better
I've been wearing Champion pants for a number of years. Very comfortable. As my old pants are wearing out, I ordered a couple of new pairs. I would rate them as five stars except for the waistband. Incredibly uncomfortable. Very scratchy. Have to wear a t-shirt tucked in with them in order to be comfortable. Why change a good thing?
Published 6 months ago by David Nickell

2.0 out of 5 stars A Classic Pant With an Uncomfortable 2014 Redesign Flaw
Published 8 months ago by CalKidWilly

2.0 out of 5 stars A Classic Pant With an Uncomfortable 2014 Redesign Flaw, April 28, 2014
This review is from: Champion Men's Open Bottom Jersey Pant (Apparel)
This has been my favorite and most comfortable pant for many years, for lounging around the house and very casual occasions. Unfortunately, Champion has redesigned the pant in 2014, which makes them now uncomfortable for me. As of my purchase in April 2014, Champion now includes a large, 2" elastic waist band on the pants. In previous designs, the waistband has always been covered with cotton that rests against the skin. In the new design, the skin is now directly on the elastic band, with no cotton covering it, which feels like plastic around the waist, cuts in into the skin and is uncomfortable. Don't the designers actually bother to wear these or test them before they mass produce them?

Hopefully Champion will correct this uncomfortable flaw in the next redesign of this classic pant.

Based on the reviews of others, many have found and agree that the waistband on these 2014 style Champion sweatpants suck (Same waist band on the shorts, see the reviews.). I have subsequently tried a few other brands and found these Russell brand sweats to be the closest in design to the Champion pants and they have a comfortable waist band.
Russell Athletic Men's Cotton Performance Open Bottom Pant

2.0 out of 5 stars The old switch-a-roo, May 6, 2014
J. Stanton (Minnesota, USA) - See all my reviews
I ordered the same pants I bought last year. The fabric wore poorly, but the pants were comfortable and looked well. The pants I received seemed to be made of a non-cotton fabric and instead of the fabric being wrapped around the elastic, the elastic is exposed on the skin side of the waist band. NOT okay. On the other hand, when I told Amazon I wanted to return them, they told me to keep them and refunded my money so I was not out time, gas or return shipping.

1.0 out of 5 stars save yer $'s, January 28, 2014
They suck dudes. Stitching fell out after just a couple hours of wear. And WHAT is that waistband made of? Sandpaper?!

2.0 out of 5 stars Pants are hard to put on, June 25, 2014
The waistband is not covered in fabric. These pants have elastic exposed on the inside of the waistband and are difficult to pull on. The exposed elastic also has caused a rash on my skin. Unfortunately we waited too long to return them....

3.0 out of 5 stars good color though, April 22, 2014
jfq (san jose, CA USA) - See all my reviews
it's tricky buying clothes online. for me, these are too long in the leg, but they are for indoor use, so....
I'll keep them, maybe they'll shrink. the fabric of Fruit of the Loom pats is better, with less pilling. just keep looking.

4.0 out of 5 stars Changes Could Be Better, June 4, 2014
David Nickell (Ann Arbor, Michigan USA) - See all my reviews

3.0 out of 5 stars poor quality seamstress!!!, June 24, 2014
these pants have been worn one day and the thread holding the waist band has all come out. I will wear them again tomorrow and see what happens!!!

3.0 out of 5 stars Comfy but a little 'baggy' in legs !, April 16, 2014
Good quality but legs too baggy! Comfortable elastic waist; launder well. Perfect for sleeping but too loose for workouts, in my opinion

3.0 out of 5 stars Ok, but not as good as old version, September 14, 2014
I find these loose cotton pants very comfortable to wear on the right occasions, for example on summer evenings in cooler temperatures, or when the bugs are out. I have several pairs of the previous version, which had a nice soft fabric and a waistband with the elastic covered with fabric for comfort. These however have a wide exposed elastic waistband, and the fabric isn't quite as soft as on the old ones. So a bit disappointing.

But otherwise they are fine. They fit well, they're comfortable (if you tuck your shirt in to keep that waistband off the skin), and seem to be well-made.

2.0 out of 5 stars They changed the waist band, June 8, 2014
One of things my husband and I loved about these jersey sweats was how comfortable they were. The waist band was soft and not to tight, BUT, now they changed the waist band which is somewhat smaller and very, very, very scratchy. I would have put "I hate it" for the stars, but I do like the length and jersey is still nice. Please change the waist band back to the old way!!!!!!! Or else I'm going to look for some new sweats!! :-(

Champion Men's Open Bottom Jersey Pant