Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Champion Men's Open Bottom Light Weight Jersey Sweatpant
Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Pink Floyd Fire TV Stick Sun Care Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer angrybirds angrybirds angrybirds  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro

on April 28, 2014
This has been my favorite and most comfortable pant for many years, for lounging around the house and very casual occasions. Unfortunately, Champion has redesigned the pant in 2014, which makes them now uncomfortable for me. As of my purchase in April 2014, Champion now includes a large, 2" elastic waist band on the pants. In previous designs, the waistband has always been covered with cotton that rests against the skin. In the new design, the skin is now directly on the elastic band, with no cotton covering it, which feels like plastic around the waist, cuts in into the skin and is uncomfortable. Don't the designers actually bother to wear these or test them before they mass produce them?

Hopefully Champion will correct this uncomfortable flaw in the next redesign of this classic pant.

Based on the reviews of others, many have found and agree that the waistband on these 2014 style Champion sweatpants suck (Same waist band on the shorts, see the reviews.). I have subsequently tried a few other brands and found these Russell brand sweats to be the closest in design to the Champion pants and they have a comfortable waist band.

66 comments| 189 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on May 6, 2014
I ordered the same pants I bought last year. The fabric wore poorly, but the pants were comfortable and looked well. The pants I received seemed to be made of a non-cotton fabric and instead of the fabric being wrapped around the elastic, the elastic is exposed on the skin side of the waist band. NOT okay. On the other hand, when I told Amazon I wanted to return them, they told me to keep them and refunded my money so I was not out time, gas or return shipping.
on January 28, 2014
They suck dudes. Stitching fell out after just a couple hours of wear. And WHAT is that waistband made of? Sandpaper?!
on June 4, 2014
I've been wearing Champion pants for a number of years. Very comfortable. As my old pants are wearing out, I ordered a couple of new pairs. I would rate them as five stars except for the waistband. Incredibly uncomfortable. Very scratchy. Have to wear a t-shirt tucked in with them in order to be comfortable. Why change a good thing?
on June 25, 2014
The waistband is not covered in fabric. These pants have elastic exposed on the inside of the waistband and are difficult to pull on. The exposed elastic also has caused a rash on my skin. Unfortunately we waited too long to return them....
on June 7, 2014
I bought 5 pair of these pants; 2 for my father and 3 for my son. I washed each pair just once and the stitching around the waist unraveled on every single pair!! Isolated defect?? I don't think so!! I took back all 5 pair!! The old style with the elastic casing was MUCH BETTER!!

I guess they tried to save money with their "new & improved" design and lost customers!! I'll go to another manufacturer for sure!!
on February 20, 2016
UNCOMFORTABLE WAISTBAND: These pants were unbearable to wear because the waistband is extremely stiff, scratchy, rough feeling, and totally uncomfortable. I bought them for my husband and even though he rarely complains about how scratchy fabric is, and he wears his t-shirt inside the pant, it was still too uncomfortable. I tried them on too, to see if maybe I could wear them instead of sending them back, but the waistband was extremely scratchy – unbearable for sure. The thick band of elastic is exposed and sits against your skin. There's no attempt at all to cover the elastic in the waistband - a ridiculous design, in my opinion. I include photos.

SIZING: My husband normally wears an XL so I bought him 2XL thinking he'd have more room (he wears them mainly to sleep and lounge) but the 2XL was tighter than expected, tighter than 2XL of this same type of pant in another brand we use to buy. We normally buy Russell brand jersey knit open bottom pull on pants, but they’ve been discontinued. Also, you can see in my photo that the tag offers worldwide size comparisons. Not that this helped any during purchase, because this information isn’t offered here in this ad, but it’s worth looking at if you’re unsure about how sizes compare from one area of the world to another.

For those who may still be considering buying them:

FABRIC: The fabric is soft, but not as soft as our favorite brand of jersey pant (Russell, but they no longer make them with an open bottom). We purchased “granite heather” which I call dark gray. It’s 60/40 cotton/polyester. But I believe other colors may be 100% cotton. If that’s important to you, you might want to ask the seller or contact the manufacturer.

STITCHING: The overall stitching appears to be done well, and should hold up to many washings and wearings (except drawstring, see note below).

LENGTH: They were long enough for my husband who is about 6' tall and has very long legs, but if you’re much taller than 6’2” they might be too short for you. The inseam (for size 2XL) was exactly 33 inches right out of the bag (measured while hanging), but that’s without washing and drying. I can’t say if they shrink because I am returning them – won’t be washing them.

DRAWSTRING WAIST: There's a drawstring inside the waist (see photo). The string is very soft (made of a slightly elastic open weave cord, not made of cotton). But after close inspection I can see how the cord may eventually (and prematurely) come apart or out of the band. Neither the cord or the stitching that holds it in place seems very strong.

POCKETS: The pockets are roomy and the stitching seems to be strong.

BOTTOM LINE:
If you can buy Russell brand instead, we recommend you do. We've been buying and wearing Russell jersey knit pants for years and swear by them. Russell is much more comfortable, soft, lightweight (but surprisingly warm), and long lasting. Some sellers and stores still have Russell’s open bottom jersey knit pull on pant (although it goes by different names) even though the manufacturer had discontinued making them. I highly recommend if you find Russell’s brand, buy every pair you find in your size because they’re the most comfortable pants we’ve ever worn for sleeping, lounging, and exercise. And they last for years. Here’s one place on Amazon you can still get limited sizes and colors of the Russell open bottom jersey knit pant at Amazon (not the size my husband wanted): Russell Athletic Men's Cotton Performance Open Bottom Pant, Graphite, XX-Large

Meanwhile, I’m returning these Champion pants and I’ve ordered Russell’s elastic bottom jersey knit pull on pants (Russell Athletic Men's Big & Tall Cotton Jersey Pull-on Pant,Charcoal/Heather,3X) in hopes they’re just as nice as Russell’s discontinued open bottom pants. If they are, I’ll keep them and carefully remove the elastic from the ankle and hope for the best. But I worry Russell may be discontinuing the elastic bottom jersey knit pant too, because I can’t find it anywhere on their website.

So, if you want an extremely comfortable and light weight jersey knit pant, go with Russell jersey knit and buy as many as you can afford – putting them away for a rainy day. That’s what I’ll be doing.
review image review image review image review image
on September 14, 2014
I find these loose cotton pants very comfortable to wear on the right occasions, for example on summer evenings in cooler temperatures, or when the bugs are out. I have several pairs of the previous version, which had a nice soft fabric and a waistband with the elastic covered with fabric for comfort. These however have a wide exposed elastic waistband, and the fabric isn't quite as soft as on the old ones. So a bit disappointing.

But otherwise they are fine. They fit well, they're comfortable (if you tuck your shirt in to keep that waistband off the skin), and seem to be well-made.
on January 26, 2016
BUYER BEWARE: The thread in the waist band is very cheap. The elastic waist is large an uncomfortable, the tie string in the waist is stitched in and the stitching is very cheap and usually falls apart after a few washes. If you snag the waist at all this will cause the waist to fall apart in the wash. Do not dry these pants if you wear a 30" inch inseam or larger, they shrink in the dryer and will become flood pants. These pants are not active wear, at best you can by them to lounge around in. Champion has changed the pants design of the waist band many times over the last several years resulting in a worse product. The only pro's to these pants are that they are cheap, lightweight and have an open hem at the bottom.
review image review image review image
on April 22, 2014
it's tricky buying clothes online. for me, these are too long in the leg, but they are for indoor use, so....
I'll keep them, maybe they'll shrink. the fabric of Fruit of the Loom pats is better, with less pilling. just keep looking.