5.0 out of 5 stars great for emergencies
Published on November 2, 2012 by Old timer

3.0 out of 5 stars Willl serve my limited need
Since I moved our power has been out several times, once for two days and we lost everything in the fridge, Not wanting a redo, I bought his to keep a light and fridge going if needed.
I think for a small engine, its sort of loud. I live in a two family house and afraid it may be disturbing to others.
Its small enough to pick up and move around with just one...
Published 19 months ago by TomC

5.0 out of 5 stars great for emergencies, November 2, 2012
This review is from: Champion Power Equipment 42436 1500-Watt Portable Generator, CARB Compliant (Lawn & Patio)
We own the older version of this generator. The only difference I see is the guage. Our guage is digital & shows voltage, hertz & hours of operation. After hurricane sandy took out our power we used ours to power the sump pump as needed & run the frig & freezer. This is only a 1200 watt continuous generator & will not run lights, frig, sump pump etc. all at the same time. Sump pump & a light - yes. Frig, freezer & maybe a light - yes. The initial surg of power for a sump pump can be 1500 watts. Freezers & refrigerators cycle off & on so are not loading the generator continuously. So yes, this generator can run everything you need, just not at the same time.

5.0 out of 5 stars good in a pinch, March 30, 2013
For the money it is a quiet and easy to use generator. Great for camping , and emergency situations. Being a contractor I have had many, and this one for the money is well worth the investment.

5.0 out of 5 stars Worth Every Penny!, August 12, 2013
I have been an industrial electrician for 30 years and have found that high quality tools are a necessity for work. Don't let this "off name" or "made in china" keep you from purchasing this generator. It is constructed of high quality materials, over head valves and cast iron sleeve and the generator is machined alunimum, not stamped steel. It has double rubber mounts for zero viberation. After 5 hours of contineous use at 3/4 load it used less then one gallon of fuel and the generator body was warm, not hot! It was packaged in 2 layers of very heavy cardboard and foam liner which could handle drops and extreme shipping abuse. I have put several hours on my unit with no issues. It starts easy, makes the transition from no load to full load and back again very smooth. It has the sound of quality, not a cheep sound. Also very quiet and light.
My unit is not the one pictured, it is 1400/1800 watts not 1200/1500 as pictured, it also is 6.2 pounds heavier then described. It has the same motor, but i believe this newer version has a larger generator. It also has a fuel guage. It comes with a large full color seven step easy start guide. If you are considering purchasing this unit make sure what you expect to operate fitts into the watt range, also it is rated for 11.7 amps. Take the time to read the owners manual and follow all instructions and you should get years of trouble free service.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great little generator, July 7, 2013
Length:: 0:51 Mins

Okay I just got this generator yesterday, so I'll give my first impressions. The look of it reminds me a lot of the little Honda generators. It's very quiet. Light enough to carry. The only thing you need to do to assemble it is to put the 4 rubber feet on it. The generator comes with no oil in it. Get yourself a quart of 10W 30. It holds slightly under half of a guart. Put a little gas in it and you're ready to go. I think mine might have started on first pull if I would have remembered to turn the switch on. Anyway, second pull and it was going. Perfect for what I need it for. The video I uploaded sounds like the generator is loud and not running right. The generator is quiet and runs very smooth.

5.0 out of 5 stars 5 years, using many in portable light plants for job sites. Lifespan report on them, April 19, 2014
UPDATE:Parts from the smallest black PREDATOR ENGINE FROM HARBOR FRIGHTNING FIT THIS MOTOR. Making a video on one soon.

I bought 2, then 5 more inside of a year. I built remote light plants for job sights with 85 watt CFL lights ( same as 450 watt incandescent) a ring of 5 in reflector bases. ( 450 watt draw for 7 to 10 hours a day, for years). Lots of tool chargers also were allowed to be plugged in to it.
Was a good little money maker for a while till YEP, You guessed it, our socialisto government added another pile of regulations and POOF, another job gone.
HOWEVER, the little generator is the most dependable I have ever put into such service. We used Royal purple Oil in them, the oldest one died at over 4000 hours use, the newest one is still running and has over 5100 hours on it. They start in ANY WEATHER.

Issues we had with them: Meters for voltage fail after 2000 or so hours ( water or vibration?). The rope pull is good, the rope is bad and will last a few years but is real easy to replace. The rubber gasket on the tank falls apart so be ready to buy some gasket grade rubber at auto parts stores and replace it. The screws do loosen on it. The paint flakes off after 3 to 4 years constant use. The valves DO need correct adjustment as it says in the manual, so when you do this DO NOT over tighten the valve cover like I did to often because it will cause leaks!

Benefits are: INSANE low fuel usage at 50%. Quiet, VERY quiet. Light weight. Durable and dependable. Affordable to own.

I still have 3 of the 7 we bought. they still run, are used as needed and very little maintenance has been done on them since they got retired. Good little generator, beats the Honda models to bits in price and quality,

4.0 out of 5 stars I really like it, July 1, 2013
The little machine works well and powers my sawzall easily. It's lite and I can easily transport it in the trunk of my saturn car.

4.0 out of 5 stars Worth every penny, July 24, 2013
I purchased this generator for a camping trip to run the wants/needs (like ipod charging for the kids, hair dryer for the wife, beer cooler) and the genny ran flawless the entire time. It is a little smaller than I had imagined it would be but that is a positive. The only thing I wish is that it were a bit quieter. It is a bit louder than expected, that's not an issue as long as it's not ran at night (as a courtesy to other campers). I was consdering digging a pit 3 ft X 3 ft X 2 ft to muffle the sound - maybe on the next trip. Some of the reviews said that they wished it had a fuel guage, mine does so I'm not sure if it's a new addition to the model? I'd buy this model again especially for the price/features.

5.0 out of 5 stars The genny gets good ratings for fuel consumption and as long as it ..., April 26, 2014
I live off-grid using solar and wind power but when the sun doesn't shine and the wind doesn't blow the Champion 1500 watt genny is my main source of power. It will run a smaller microwave and most power tools and I use it to recharge my battery bank using a separate battery charger and to run my fridge. The genny gets good ratings for fuel consumption and as long as it is not outside all night in the cold it starts ever time on the second pull.

I put mine on a wheeled cart and roll it inside the cabin at night and outside when I use it. I have had two and this last one has been in almost constant use for over 5 years. the first one only failed because the pulley wheel broke and that is the weak spot on these gennys. Always pull the starter line straight out from the housing to prevent straining the pulley wheel.

It doesn't like to be shut off and then restarted when it is hot. Let it cool down for 10 minutes and then it will restart. I would buy 3 of these for the price of a Honda and be much happier. It is a very good generator!

5.0 out of 5 stars Very happy!, October 23, 2013
This is a well made product. Loads of safety features . I've not run it a full five hours yet,however in the test runs it was great. Bought it as a back up for sump pump,and thank goodness I've not had to use it in that capacity as of yet. Some reviews said it was as quite as a Honda. Nope,no way. They need to start one and listen. However keep in mind there is a one thousand to eleven hundred dollar deference in between the two. The Champion 42436 is agreeably quite. While it's running you can talk,not shout,but talk to another person .

5.0 out of 5 stars Great generator if you don't need much power, December 15, 2012
Robert Sanderson (Stony Brook, NY United States) - See all my reviews
Saved my butt during hurricane Sandy. I was able to run my refrigerator, heater, and a few lights off of it. It was plenty adequate for my needs during a week without power. I should mention that I have gas heat so it takes very little current to run it. Other systems may require a higher wattage generator. If I were to order a generator today knowing what I know now, I would get a higher wattage unit because it should run longer on a tank of gas.

Champion Power Equipment 42436 1500-Watt Portable Generator, CARB Compliant