4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Generator for the Money!
Note: This is a long review. Please click on the blue, "Read more >" link below to see the entire review. Please note latest 23 Mar 2014 comment at the end of this review.

Published 17 months ago by Luigi

3.0 out of 5 stars Disappointed
Started right up first pull. Runs quiet enough, but will not run the AC on my RV, at higher altitude. Not sure at what altitude but will run at 5000 feet but not at 8000. Just where it looses it, not sure. Like the light weight, anything larger and it would be difficult to load. Kind of a waste of money for all my needs.

UP-Date: Called Champion and...
Published 5 months ago by JT

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Generator for the Money!, July 14, 2013
This review is from: Champion Power Equipment No.75531i Inverter Generator, 3100-watt (Lawn & Patio)

Spent a few months debating which inverter generator to purchase. My main priority was the ability to power the 13,500 BTU Dometic a/c unit on my new 2013 toy hauler. Like a lot of folks I did my fair share of googling and visiting various online forums collecting information.

If money was no object, I would have probably purchased one of the Honda or Yamaha 3000w inverter models (or a pair of the Honda/Yamaha 2000's). However, they're more than double the money. I seriously considered the Yamaha EF2400iSHC, but it cost about $400 more. Plus, I'd heard of a very small number of folks that were unable to power a 13,500 BTU a/c with their EF2400iSHC.

In any case, received my new Champion 75531i (3100w max/2800w rated) inverter generator from supergenproducts.com two days after I ordered it. Added some oil and fuel and it cranked up on the very first pull!

First impression? It's a tad louder than I expected under moderate/heavy load (with the 13,500 BTU a/c compressor on). I'd guess around 62-64 db or so (it's distinctly louder on the exhaust side of the generator). When the a/c compressor kicks off with the economy mode turned ON, the engine RPM's (and sound level) drop quite a bit--again, I'll take a guess and say down to around 57-58db. In any case, not as quiet as the EF2400iSHC which I've used in the past. It's rated at 53-60db (25% to full-load conditions). However, it's important to keep in mind the Champion 75531i is designed to compete with the lighter, 80 lb. Honda EU3000IHAC "Handi" generator which has a db rating (of 57-65 db, 25% to full-load) similar to the Champion 75531i. I've heard the Honda "Handi" on several occasions and I believe the 75531i's sound level is very comparable. The Honda "Handi" should not be confused with the more common, much **quieter** (49-58 db), much heavier, 134 lb. Honda EU3000ISAC.

In terms of power handling capability, the Champion successfully handles the Dometic 13,500 BTU a/c compressor surge (LRA rating for this model is 63 amps) with the economy mode turned ON; however, the overload LED does flash momentarily every time the compressor kicks on. FWIW, this was on a 100 degree day with high humidity. Voltage (measured with my Fluke inside the toy hauler) was steady at 124.5 volts with the frig on, converter on (battery fully charged), a/c fan on high, and a/c compressor off. When the a/c compressor kicked on, the voltage readout on my Fluke became erratic for a split second then quickly stabilized at 123.4 volts (again, with the economy mode ON). Of course, with the economy mode turned OFF, there was much less voltage fluctuation when the compressor kicked on; however, the 75531i is continuously 3 or 4 db louder and uses more fuel with the economy mode OFF. Lastly, even though Champion states clearly on the generator's box that the 75531i is not recommended for use with a circular saw, it did successfully power my Craftsman 13 amp circular saw (the overload LED flashes momentarily upon startup with economy mode turned both ON and OFF).

The build quality seems very good to excellent. The two wheels are rubber and not plastic, so it wheels around quietly. The two stationary handles on top are all plastic, but feel more than strong enough to support the full weight of the generator. There's a very large handle on the exhaust side that lifts up and allows you to wheel the generator around quickly and easily. This handle does flex a bit. Not sure how it will hold up with repeated use. The generator I received had a cracked handle and shroud from an overtightened bolt. I called Champion customer service and they've agreed to send me a replacement handle and shroud (added 25 Jul 2013 comment: parts received approx. a week later and installed DIY).

Bottom line, I think the Champion 75531i 3100w max/2800w rated inverter generator is a good buy at its current street price of $850-900. From all indications, it appears Champion does a good job of backing up their products with good warranty service. I called them a few times to get technical info on the 75531i before this purchase and they were always very helpful and informative.

31 Aug 2013 Fuel Consumption Test: 75531i gas tank is rated to hold 1.6 gallons. Filled up an empty gas tank to the "red mark" as recommended by Champion and it took exactly 1.6 gallons. This daytime test was conducted under severe conditions: outside temps of 104-105 degrees, 50-60% humidity, Economy Mode ON, elevation 1200 ft., and an ambient temperature of 108 degrees inside my toy hauler! The a/c compressor was ON for more than an hour straight before cycling off for the first time when inside temperatures finally reached 77 degrees (cooling approx. 140 sq ft). According to my Progressive Industries EMS current meter the a/c was pulling a 13-14 amp load (approx. 60% of the 75531i's rated load) when the compressor was ON. With the compressor OFF, generator load was only 2 amps (fan on high). The 75531i powered the Dometic 13,500 BTU air conditioner (converter and all other appliances OFF) under these conditions for 6 hours before running out of fuel. With lower outside temperatures and pre-stabilized temperatures inside the toy hauler, I would expect longer runtimes (at least 7-8 hours), especially at night. The 75531i is rated by Champion to run 8 hours under a 25% (constant) load. During my 6 hour test, I estimate the average load was much closer to 50%.

09 Nov 2013 Update: Have begun to notice the 75531i, when hot, is sometimes hard to restart. On several occasions, when I turned it off to refuel after a lengthy run (turned it off using the master ON/OFF switch; did not run it out of fuel), it was very difficult to start 5 minutes later. On one occasion it required almost 10-15 pulls on the recoil rope to start(**). Have also noticed a minor oil leak just below the valve cover area. Strangely, it doesn't appear to be coming from the valve cover. Champion tech support suggested I make sure the rubber vent hose was properly inserted in the valve cover and to make sure the oil was not overfilled. The rubber vent hose was completely dry and was properly inserted. The oil was not overfilled; however, just to be cautious, I purposely reduced the oil level to just below the "full" mark (checked oil on level ground using a level). After checking the rubber vent hose and reducing the oil level, oil continues to leak around the black, plastic assembly that surrounds the cylinder.

(**) Picked up this tip from another Amazon reviewer which seemed to work: if you plan on restarting the 75531i within a few minutes of turning it off (while it is still hot), try forcing the engine off by pulling the choke out or on (vs. turning the fuel off or turning the master ON/OFF switch off). Push the choke back in or off before attempting to restart the engine with the starter rope. This procedure appears to force a little extra fuel into the combustion chamber during shutdown making it easier to start when hot.

23 Mar 2014 Update: Sorry to say I sold my Champion 75531i generator. I stand by everything I've stated in this review. However, after using this generator to power my 13,500 BTU a/c on several camping trips, I've found it to be just a tad too loud for my needs. I don't think this reflects badly on the 75531i. In my opinion, the 75531i competes admirably against the similarly designed $2300 Honda "Handi", which has very similar no load/full load sound output specs. After much trial and error, I've decided I need an inverter generator that will produce sound levels of 60 db or less under FULL load (not 25%).

4.0 out of 5 stars Powerful for its footprint and price, July 19, 2013
J. R. "Monkihead" (Space Coast, Florida) - See all my reviews
I needed a quieter generator for my 2000 Roo travel trailer at deer camp. AC power is critical since A/C is needed for Florida hunting. I hear that the gens rated closer to 2000 watts can handle the job, but that is typically when everything is running perfect and your A/C is not drawing more because of age. My trailer is 13 years old and so is the A/C. My A/C does not have the modified starting capacitor. I deliberately did not change it out because I wanted to see if this gen can run with an old unmodified RV A/C. Well, I cranked the Gen up, threw the switch on the A/C on and hussar, not so much as a cough. The generator stayed running and A/C cranked up beautifully and blew ice cold air, while also powering the RV fridge and coach battery charger. So my immediate results with the generator is very satisfying. It is handling the load well and does it quietly enough. I thought it very considerate for the manufacturer to include a specially designed funnel so you can very neatly add oil.

There are a couple of design flaws that are annoying, but not a show stopper. First, the access panel to check the oil has two Phillips screws securing it. I think they should have used some sort of finger friendly fastener like a butterfly bolt. You should be checking the oil each day before use, and it is absurd that you need to fetch a screwdriver to do this. Secondly the luggage styled roller wheels roll easy enough on a hard surface, but they are too close to the body so that when you roll across any damp ground, the wheels will pick up enough debris and start packing it in between the wheels and body, causing the wheels to lock up. This unit is heavy and when the wheels bind, it is like dragging a body. The handle does fold away with use, but when needed, it unfolds to a comfortable length (I'm 6'3" tall) so you won't be needing to crouch down while walking. Keep in mind, since this is a 3,100watt unit, it is not the one handle sized generator that you can easily lift up like a portable radio. This gen is the size of a small cooler and heavy enough to require a two-man lift to pick it up unto a truck bed or other equivalent height.

Neither of the two flaws so far noted, causes me to not recommend, since they are so trivial and the screw flaw is easily solved with a trip to hardware store with $2.00

I will revisit my review with an update after extended use and first oil change (@ 100hrs per OEM) Recommended oil is 10w-30 and it uses .6L to fill. I initially filled mine with 10w-30 Shell Rotella syn blend.

5.0 out of 5 stars Champion 75531i, A Good Brand of Generator, October 14, 2013
Just a few things that I thought about before buying. How big of a generator do I really need? How much generator weight do I feel like moving around? Weight is important and was a significant factor in my buying decision. How much noise am I willing to subject my neighbors to? Where can I put it or what should I build to keep it dry when it rains? I made a list of everything that I will need to power at once. Keeping in mind that bigger generators and powering more stuff, will cost a lot by consuming more gas. A day is not bad, go a week or two and it will rapidly get expensive. Most generators rate gasoline use in gallons per hour at far less than the maximum rated output load of the generator. Looking at what I would need to power, amps multiplied by the volts equals watts. Added together the watts of everything I will need to power at one time. Keeping in mind that refrigerators, freezers, air conditioners, pumps and motors need more power briefly during start up. Some generator sizing charts or calculators can be found on the web. This 2800 watt rated and 3100 watt surge generator should fit my needs and budget nicely. As a foot note; this is a 120 volt generator and cannot power anything that needs 220 volts.

I filled the engine with 10w 30 engine oil, it takes a little over 1/2 of a quart. Added gas, it fired up and ran on the very first pull. You must use the choke when cold. Subsequent starts when hot still needed to be chocked briefly every time on the first pull. By doing this it does start every time on the first pull. Super quiet on the eco or low throttle setting. Still impressively quiet at the full throttle setting. As you add a significant load, (I was using 1800 watts at the time), it gets noticeably louder out of the exhaust. Not a deal breaker but something to keep in mind. I was right next to it, but at a distance of 20 feet or more, It wouldn't be bad at all. This is a multi-pole generator with an inverter. The multi-pole is why it is only 83 pounds. The inverter assures you that the voltage and hertz remain correct. Inverter generators cost more dollars per watt, but are needed more than ever, as opposed to generators that don't have the inverter. Many things you will need to power nowadays have at least one electronic circuit board located somewhere inside. Generators without inverters might possibly burn up that electronic circuit board. Probably rare or maybe never, but if that were to happen, it would be expensive to say the least.

I bought a plug adapter for it so that I can draw the full 2800 to 3100 surge watts from the duplex outlet. If you are only using the standard duplex outlet, you will be limited by the 20amp breaker to 2400 watts. Check out the Conntek adapter, part number 14340, also sold on Amazon. This generator rolls around really easy, using the built in fold out handle. The air filter is a replaceable pleated paper type. No leaks and looking inside it looks to be a very well made quality product. Some made in China engines have roughly cast parts and just in general look cheap. Not the case with this engine. The castings look great and engine overall looks well made. This engine has a cast iron cylinder sleeve for extended life and the crank shaft rides on ball bearings. It is a 171cc overhead valve engine and has a low oil shut down.

One thing to note is that this generator has a spark arrester located in its catalytic converter. Most generators have these arresters, whether they have a cat convertor or just a muffler. After a lot of running hours or if your engine gets hard to start or restart, it may need cleaning. Put something under the plate before you pull the screws so that they don't fall down inside of the generator's plastic outer housing. Remove the two small screws located where the exhaust gases come out. Lift off the little plate and pull the screen out. Clean the carbon off of the screen or replace it with a new one and reinstall. Numerous engines have these nowadays and they are one of the most common reasons people end up taking a unit in for service or throwing one away. Looking at the outside, you can only see one of the screens, you need to pull it to check the long inner screen. Clean it before it gets so much carbon built up that you destroy it trying to pull it out of the hole.

This generator has a 2 year warranty and from what I have seen looking around on the web, they will back it up without any hassle. The manual has a full parts list complete with part numbers which is a great sign. A list of 130 generator parts and an additional 102 engine parts. Champion is located in California and the generators are made for them in China. Other brands of China made generators are disguised and modified versions of a common generator. Champion generators look to be unique, which I take as a good sign, rather than just a slapped on name. If you call Champion for a part, they will ship it out by the next day. If it is still under warranty, the part will be free or they will have it repaired under warranty for you. Some other China generators don't have any parts available. In my opinion, when new, the engine should be run 3 to 5 hours without a load, or limited to a light load as a break in. The manual recommends changing the oil after the first 5 hours. Which would be to get rid of the metal particles that result from the break in. Every 50 or 100 hours after that, depending on the type of use. I have a light weight, 2000 watt Yamaha inverter generator for some of my needs, but I hate to leave it unattended. Generators can disappear, to put it as nicely as possible. So this is a heavier, more power full, less expensive generator and hopefully a little less tempting to others. I can recommend this Champion generator without any reservations. In my opinion, this is a really nice generator.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good Inverter Generator for the Money, February 21, 2013
I have been testing many different inverter generators from borrows, bought then returned. This is so far the good inverter for the money. The 171 cc engine is the copycat version of the Yamaha engine used on their ef2400ishc and ef3000is. It's noisier and not powerful as the Yamaha 171cc. I intend to use this inverter for power backup for my home not for the RV. It can handle the gas furnace, 25.5cu ft refrigerator, some lights, 2 desktops, cable modem, home servers, security systems and bathroom ventilation fan all at same time. The noise level at full load is definitely more than 58db, I think it's around 62db, noisier than Yamaha ef2400 and Honda EU3000IS with 190cc engine but quiet than the Boliy 3600si. One star less for db noise, fuel gauge. I only ran for couple hours but so far so good, no oil or fuel leaking, the fuel hoses / connections seems better built and fit than the other Chinese made inverter gensets.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent value, July 22, 2013
The 3100 is well designed and quiet. Added oil and gas, the gen started on first pull out of the box. After letting it run for about 20 minutes and the Economy switch OFF, I plugged in the RV cord. I started with the outlets, then the microwave and the gen powered no problem. Tested the 13,500 AC separately. The gen revved and the AC ran smoothly for 30 minutes. Turned off the AC, waited 10 minutes and repeated the process. Again, the AC powered up and the gen ran smoothly. The gen is relatively quiet and even quieter in economy mode. It's a bit heavy, but the built in wheels and handle make it easy to move.

I was considering the Yamaha 2400 high current but the manufacturer's literature is contradictory on whether it can/should be used for 13500 AC. The Champion 3100 is similar to the Honda 3000Handi in both design and DB. (Note the Handi is louder than the super quiet Honda 3000.)

Overall the Champion 3100 is a good value, fairly quiet, and powers up a 13,500 AC which is what I purchased it for. It is also CARB compliant 50 states.

5.0 out of 5 stars Champion 3100W inverter/generator works great for me, May 15, 2014
The primary purpose for me buying a portable generator is to provide power for the 13.5K BTU air conditioner in my travel trailer when camping without hookups. Also known as "dry camping" or boondocking.
The surge capacity of 3100 watts is sufficient to overcome the starting load of the A/C unit.
The 2800 watts continuous rating is enough to run the A/C, refrigerator, TV and lights simultaneously.
To run the 900 W microwave, I have to turn off the A/C first.
I didn't verify the noise level, but as advertised, it is comparable to the Honda and Yamaha generators of equivalent ratings.
With the air conditioner running, I could not hear the noise from the 3100W running in the back of my pickup truck which was only 10 feet away.
At 90 pounds, the Champion 3100W is the maximum weight I can lift into the back of my truck. The Honda and Yamaha of equivalent rating are close to 140 pounds, which would require a ramp or lifting device for me.

5.0 out of 5 stars WOW this is great., January 26, 2014
We attempted to get this on lightning deals before Christmas but we were too slow and decided to put off the purchase until spring as our main purpose was to run the 13,500 btu air conditioner in our travel trailer while dry docking during the summer. We actually found it on a Black Friday sale elsewhere. We had not used it and, in the mean time, had upgraded to a larger trailer. The new trailer has a 15,000 btu air conditioner which many people on the web say is too much for this particular generator. I honestly thought that we were going to have to get a bigger generator but yesterday we decided to find out and got this generator out of the box and fired it up. I left it on the economy mode and we turned on the air in the trailer. I was amazed that the generator rpm's increased only slightly and the compressor kicked in effortlessly. We let it run until my wife decided that it was too cold in the trailer at which time we shut off the generator. Our new trailer is a 2014 and the technology behind the air conditioner itself my be improved but we got no "flash" of the overload light on the generator at all. (This "flash" has been mentioned by some reviewers that were using it with 13500 btu units.) I was impressed and pleased that this generator is even more than what I had expected and would happily recommend it to anyone in need of a quality generator for their rv.

4.0 out of 5 stars Impressive power and price point, September 7, 2014
I recently purchased a travel trailer and needed something to run the A/C here in the hot Arizona heat. I was planning on purchasing 2 Honda 2000's and running them in parallel until a co-worker of mine told me about this unit. I looked around the internet at all the reviews and tried to soak up all the info I could. I absolutely had to have this one unit run my 13,500btu A/C with no problems.
I went ahead and purchased it from another online retailer that beat Amazons price quite handily and had it at my front door 3 days later. I filled it with gas and some 10w-30 mobile 1 synthetic and ran it for 5 hours per the instructions. It was kind of a hassle changing the oil but not too difficult with my wife helping me.

(Just for reference my trailer is a 2010 model with a Coleman 13,500 btu unit on the roof and it was 105 degrees outside. Also elevation at my house is about 2500' above sea level)

I rolled the generator out to my trailer which has a 30 amp shore plug and fired it up. I had the generator on economy mode and fired up the A/C. The gen tried to rev up but died out before it could reach full RPM. At this point I had my wife in my ear saying "I thought this could run our A/C?" I was at a loss for words. I went out and reset the unit and ran it on normal mode. Tried the A/C again and it fired right up no problems. At this point it was running the air conditioning, charging the battery, and running about 6 light fixtures with LED lights in them.
About a week later we headed up north to an area just under 9000' above sea level. We didn't need the air conditioning but I had to find out if it could do it. I had my doubts because the manufacturer states 3% loss of power for every 1000' above seal level. I started the generator and switched the a/c on high and it ran like a dream. I was pretty impressed at this point. It was running the a/c, charging the battery, powering the lcd tv/dvd player, and running about 4 lights!
This unit covered all my power needs and some. The only negatives I can give this unit are for the weight and mobility. At around 85 pounds it was a bit heavy for your average user to carry around comfortably. Also the tires were just about worthless on anything other than cement or on very flat surfaces.
Overall this is a nice unit if you don't feel like shelling out 2k plus on the alternatives. Thanks for reading and I hope it was helpful!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great generator for the price!, September 30, 2013
I am new to the generator world and spent a lot of time on research. I was considering both the honda and yamaha 3000 watt or equivalent models. I decided to go with the champion after reading the favorable reviews and couldn't justify the extra $1000 for a few rated decibels difference in noise.

I have used this generator several times now in the last month and so far I am totally satisfied with my purchase. We use it for a small hunting cabin in the woods. It starts in 1 - 3 pulls and is very quiet on the economy setting. I have used it to run power saws and it works great...the engine kicks the power up as needed and then it quiets back down again. I am considering a conversion to propane for longer run time and convenience. The generator is rated to run 8 hours on economy mode on the approximate 1.5 gallons of gas in the tank ...I ran it again yesterday with intermittent extra power needs and it was still running at the 8 hour mark with some gas left in the tank.

It is built sturdy, has a nice flip up pull handle for pulling and is easy to operate. It comes with a nice fill spout for filling it with oil and also a 12 volt accessory cord that plugs into the panel and can charge 12 volt batteries. I would recommend to the supplier - manufacturer to put slightly larger wheels on the unit with more ground clearance for pulling the unit around in the outdoors. With its low ground clearance, it gets caught on any little mound of dirt or stick on the ground. It rolls very nicely on concrete. I would definitely recommend this generator for the price.

5.0 out of 5 stars Champion 3100-watt Inverter, October 19, 2013
The generator was shipped in the factory packaging which included a heavy corrugated cardboard box wrapped with plastic/nylon straps. Inside the box the generator was well protected by form fitted Styrofoam packaging, additional cardboard and a plastic bag. The generator arrived in perfect condition. The materials and workmanship look to be of excellent quality. The unit comes with a 2 year warranty and from everything I have read Champion Power Equipment customer service is very good. I checked everything over, added gas and oil, and it fired up after 2 or 3 pulls. I have listened to a variety of other inverter generators such as Honda and John Deere. This inverter is very comparable in noise to these much higher priced inverters. I plugged my 5th wheel camper into this generator and it effortlessly ran the 13,500 BTU air conditioner and 1,000 watt microwave at the same time. I also ran my portable air compressor on this generator with no problems. I have not used this unit for very long but I feel it is an excellent buy for the money and anticipate many years of trouble free use.

Champion Power Equipment No.75531i Inverter Generator, 3100-watt