5.0 out of 5 stars A powerful work--well worth reading
Published on December 23, 2011 by Alec

3.0 out of 5 stars True Story
Once again we see how many times the system failed to rescue...Its great he found what he searched for...perhaps his writing can save some
Published 21 months ago by customer

5.0 out of 5 stars A powerful work--well worth reading, December 23, 2011
I found this book to be truly wonderful. Steve Pemberton's personal narrative is many things at once: a story of hardship and triumph, sorrow and hope, tragedy and deliverance. However, the use of these familiar terms does not do full justice to the book's main thrust. At a deeper level, this autobiographical montage offers a compelling message that victory over seemingly insurmountable suffering can emerge when one holds fast to an existential goodness by reaching within. To be sure, Pemberton's path as a child and adolescent was riddled with recurrent pain and disappointment--this portion is a heart-wrenching read, to say the least. Indeed, the story becomes all the more potent by its authenticity and brutal honesty. In the end, what emerges is not only victory but also an enduring passion and gratitude for the things in life that mean the most. To paraphrase C.S. Lewis: "The pain then is part of the happiness now." Overall, this is a deeply inspiring and empowering portrait with far-reaching life lessons.

5.0 out of 5 stars A MUST READ!!!, January 7, 2012
Reading Steve Pemberton's story will change your outlook on life. The odds were stacked against him from the beginning. Somehow Steve had the intestinal fortitude to forge ahead through life to create the family that he always dreamed of. All of my family and friends have read this incredible story within 2-3 days of receiving the book. You won't be able to put this book down because the story is so compelling AND well written. You will realize that you don't have real problems and you will gain a new perspective on life. Please buy it, read it and recommend it to your family and friends. Or buy it for them.

5.0 out of 5 stars A search for an identity, facing up to challenges, January 13, 2012
As soon as you open the book, you realize an amazing struggle against overwhelming odds. The imprint that is made on Steve's life is unimaginable. The inner strength that guides the author through this harrowing childhood journey, as he faces uncertainty, evil, and challenge at every corner and is pulled along as if in a mystery novel is a rare combination of character, perseverance, and drive. Critically, the book pulls the reader chronologically, slowly, through the epic struggles of a child with an open mind as he selects life decisions that have severe consequences. The identity that he seeks is just beyond his grasp until he realizes that he has the willpower and courage to define his own identity. Despite tendencies to be pulled into an even darker existence, Steve is able to fixate on kind traits, unexpected support, and the power of the written word as he turns to his books for salvation. This book is a powerful story that will move you to understand and feel the power of freedom and the torment of bondage. The revelations arrive one by one as Steve discovers his past, and through this can define his future. An exceptionally written text that will keep you glued to discover retribution of past misdeeds, miraculous surprises, and true valor. You'll be rooting for him all the way through!

5.0 out of 5 stars A wonderfully heartwarming story about resilience, January 18, 2012
I am so thankful to have read this story. Once I started I couldn't put it down. I think that the author, Steve Pemberton, is an excellent example of resilience and courage. This story shows how the very smallest of gestures whether they be our words or deeds can make such a huge difference in the life of a child. Our words can do so much good, yet also so much damage. He is a wonderful example of a man who didn't let his childhood be his reason to fail, but yet his reason to succeed. I am so thankful that he made it through and that he didn't let his past or the people in his past destroy him. I would hope that every foster parent, every social worker and every child that has ever been in care would read this. And for all those that have no idea what children are going through in our country I would hope they would read this. I am very thankful and blessed to have read this book and I am thankful that he has decided to share such a touching story... which is his life.

5.0 out of 5 stars Inspiring and Emotional, January 2, 2012
An inspiring and emotional story of triumph and resilience. Steve will help you to understand that "we are not measured by what happens to us but how we respond to it". A must read for the entire family.

5.0 out of 5 stars Overcoming all odds- A great read and teaching tool!, December 27, 2011
Steve Pemberton bares and shares in this story of his childhood and the systems that failed him. He is a staunch advocate for equality, finding one's path and hope in the world.

The book will offer hope and a kindred heart to youth in care. It will be a great tool for professionals who work with youth in care to share as an example of overcoming obstacles and telling one's story to move onward and upward on the journey.

Take a few days to read the book.
If you have adolescents, have them read the book- it is a look into the world of foster care and youth who don't have support systems in place.
It is real and uplifting!
There is so much that we can all do when we pull together to touch lives of others and Steve touches upon this over and over in his book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best book ever., February 26, 2012
toni (SANTA BARBARA, CA, US) - See all my reviews
Without giving anything away, this book is an insightful (and incredibly sad) look at our foster care system, the resilience of a young child and his ability to live through it. I highly recommend this book. Mr. Pemberton will move you to tears; make you smile; you'll cheer for this child; and you'll understand the true meaning of perseverance. Additionally, it will be hard for anyone that reads this book to ever feel sorry for themselves. I read this book in 24 hours--even through my son's rugby game. You won't be able to put it down. Note to Mr. Pemberton, you are an inspiration, sir. May you live a long and HAPPY life.

5.0 out of 5 stars Just what the World NEEDS right now! I am inspired., December 28, 2011
An inspiring and amazing story! This biography truly lets you know with determination and a vision anything can be achieved. This book is for all generations and will be an inspiration for all families years to come.

5.0 out of 5 stars Enduring Long Suffering, February 14, 2012
I am going to write another review but this book is awesome. I just want to give this little boy, young boy, teenage boy, a big bear hug and lots of kisses. I want to rub hid head and massage his back while he falls asleep. I just have love for the little boy that never really got to have a childhood. I am inspired that even though I am only a 3rd of the way through this book, I have nothing but praise and respect for this little boy who had to endure all he had to endure with a system so corrupt it makes me want to run for office. Inspite of his circumstances, he was on the honor roll in school all the while living in a modern day slave environment. I admire that little boy, young boy, teenage boy in an awe inspiring way. Read this book and be encouraged!

5.0 out of 5 stars Powerful, raw, inspiring and well worth reading!, February 7, 2012
In order to understand what love is, we must know what hate feels like.

This book was inspiring and powerful. Steve Pemberton executes the rawness of his feelings and tramatic times he had to endure like no other. The way he writes and tells his story is just incredible. I read this book in 3 days.

It's moving in a sense that no matter what, Steve fought and fought and fought. Even though he did not have that family he always yearned for as a child, it pushed him and motivated him to even greater heights.

ANYONE would be proud to have Steve as thier son, brother, husband, and father.

Because of this book, I am looking into fostering children. Hoping to give them the love and attention my parents instilled in me and that I am currently passing down to my twin boys. Children are gifts from God. Steve Pemberton was no exception.

My favorite exerpt from the book (don't worry, no spoilers) was the woman who told Steve God was not through with him yet.

He still isn't Steve! Look at all the people you have inspired and all the lives you have changed!

A Chance in the World: An Orphan Boy, A Mysterious Past, and How He Found a Place Called Home
$15.99 $12.89