Truck Month Textbook Trade In Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_cbcc_7_fly_beacon $5 Albums Fire TV with 4k Ultra HD Grocery Mother's Day Gifts Amazon Gift Card Offer ctstrph2 ctstrph2 ctstrph2  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Fire, Only $39.99 Kindle Paperwhite AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop Now Learn more

*****
This latest book by author Joyce Meyer is life-changing, literally. Like every Joyce Meyer book, it is clear, simple, very inspirational, and fully of hope and blessing. It is a book written for Christians, and in my opinion, deeply needed by the church. It is very realistic and practical, not a stereotypical "positive confession book", although it does advocate speaking positively and it does advocate confessing Scripture to walk in faith. It never advises denying reality. Instead, the author champions the concept of "speaking with faith instead of fear", which she explains that "...that doesn't mean that we deny our circumstances, but we do deny them the right to rule over us." In short, this is a balanced book, through and through.

The chapters explain so much about how our thoughts and our words are related to the quality of our lives--and about how we can take control of both our thoughts and our words and then speak and think in agreement with the Word of God. The chapters cover topics like: speaking with hope, speaking foolishly, when and how to speak about our problems, dealing with anger, "fasting our words", complaining, encouraging, loving people with our words, deep listening versus surface listening, self-talk (this was my favorite), gossip, giving our opinion, keeping our word, and so much more.

The author is very transparent. She writes that one key reason she wrote the book was to help herself. She gives many examples of the challenges she has faced, and how much time and effort it took to overcome them; she also admits some problems that she still struggles with. The book includes lots of illustrations of the points she makes in memorable and moving stories.

The book also addresses the challenges in the world of cyberspace and the changes in communication patterns brought about by technology.

The book ends with an appendix of Scripture verses for various difficult life situations, formatted and organized in a way that they can be read, believed, and said both in your heart and with your lips.

The author prays that this book will be a turning point for the reader, and I think it will be, as it was for me.

Highly recommended for Christians who want to live an empowered and obedient and joyful Christian life.
*****

UPDATE 9/15/12: I originally read this book on the Kindle. I ordered a hardcopy too, because it is just that good. I wanted to mention that the font in the hardcopy is happily quite large--about 14 points or so--easy for these older eyes to read! The paper can take a highlighter without undue bleed-through as well.
44 comments|141 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on October 23, 2012
"Sticks and stones may break my bones, but words will never hurt me." That old saying must be one of the biggest lies ever, right?

We all know that words have the potential to hurt us --- not physically, but emotionally, mentally and spiritually. Words have the ability to lighten our mood, make us smile or burst into tears, or even cause resentment and bitterness to seep into our hearts. As Proverbs 18:21 tells us, "Death and life are in the power of the tongue." (KJV) As the Bible also reveals, it is virtually impossible to tame the tongue. This is proven by the fact that, even though sermons about the effect of our words are presented from pulpits all over the world, we still continue to gossip, complain, criticize, and lash out at others. But what is impossible to do on our own is possible with God. Not easy, but possible.

Joyce Meyer understands the power of words. She admits that she alienated and hurt many people over the course of her life. Because of the abuse she endured as a child, she had plenty of reasons for her negative attitudes, critical spirit and harsh demeanor. But she eventually realized that this behavior wasn't producing positive results. More specifically, as stated on page 12 of her book, she learned that, "If a person continually sows negative thoughts, attitudes, and words, he will produce negative results in his life. Likewise, if he sows positive, life-filled thoughts, attitudes, and words, he will see good, positive results." When she began to study God's Word on the subject and applied the truths she found there, she gained major victory in this area. Meyer shares her wisdom in her latest book, CHANGE YOUR WORDS, CHANGE YOUR LIFE.

In her usual straightforward style, Meyer teaches us how to tame our tongues, how to stay strong through the storms of life, how to speak faith, not fear, and when to listen and when to speak. She includes chapters on complaining, speaking words of encouragement, keeping our word, words that grieve the Holy Spirit, how to speak gentle words, fasting our words, how to defeat our enemies, and learning to say what God says. In fact, speaking according to God's Word is the main point driven home throughout this book. As Meyer tells us in Chapter 3, "We cannot say what God says unless we know what He has said, and that is why we must study the Word of God diligently."

At the end of the book, there are over 20 pages dedicated to providing "A Dictionary of God's Word," listing specific Bible verses to recite and meditate on when facing difficult life situations. You'll find verses for times when you feel that you don't have the strength to go on. When you're angry and bitter. When you need confidence. When you're discouraged or depressed. When you're afraid. When you need healing. When you're lonely. When you need financial help. Peace. Forgiveness. Justice. Wisdom. And many more. This is a wonderful tool, giving us positive words to speak and/or pray when we're tempted to complain or simply talk about our problems.

Because words are such an important part of our everyday lives, and because they have such an impact on our relationships and our own mental health, CHANGE YOUR WORDS, CHANGE YOUR LIFE is a must-read. With the multitude of scriptures, real-life examples, and Meyer's personal testimony, this is a book to keep on your nightstand and refer to time and time again. As quoted in the book, "All change begins by facing truth and not making any excuses for wrong behavior." If you're willing to get your toes stepped on a bit, and you have an open heart, ready to change how you think and speak, then this book truly does have the potential to change your life.

Reviewed by Lynda Lee Schab
on November 13, 2012
I have never been rude or ugly to other people.. but I have definately been mean to MYSELF. Almost every word I spoke to myself, either in my mind or out loud, was negative. My life has been a virtual mirror of Joyce's life. Sexually abused by father and mother was an alcoholic. I always thought that I could fix them if only I was the perfect daughter. Of course , no one is perfect, so I have lived a life of shame, guilt and utter misery. I am learning so much from Joyce who I believe has an annointing from God to teach us HIS word and to teach us how to LOVE ourselves and others regardless of their faults. I thank God every day for her teachings and helping me grow in my relationship with myself and God.
Joyce Meyer, one of the world's leading Bible teachers with her TV and Radio Broadcast, delivers a presentation on the power of words and how our own words can have a positive or negative effect on our future. The author clearly portrays the importance of words, and how the difference can also change your life. In addition, she evaluates how words can control our emotions and thoughts, why we should use guidelines to ensure we are using constructive words, and how healing and healthy words produce good results. Included with her topics of discussion are ways to be happy, keeping your word, when not to talk, and much more. There are also scripture verses and healing words included in this comprehensive and concise presentation. Interesting, inspiring, and uplifting!
on September 28, 2012
I am the Grandmother of 10 beautiful grandsons and four great grandchildren. One of my grandsons has chosen the wrong path and spent his 19th Birthday booked into Orange county jail in Orlando, FL. I recently traveled to Orlando to a family reunion with most of our family, however, Cody couldn't be there so I went to the jail to visit him. I had never been to a jail before so I took one of my other grandsons with me, he is the same age as Cody. I prayed, and read Joyce Meyer's book, Change your words, change your life, all the way down on the plane. This book helped me to know what to say to Cody without getting emotional. It is a constant reminder to stop and think, before I talk. I loved the book.

Joy
on March 3, 2015
I've only just begun to read this one - have quite a few of Joyce's books. Already, this has done miracles for me. Truly. She is so articulate. True. Intelligent. Giving. Devoted to God's Word and to paying it forward. I am so thankful - to be thankful. One of the wonderful things about her works is that she makes us aware that we all have a soft place to land in the process of learning, growing, falling down and getting up again. We are always being unconditionally loved and supported by our Father. He's always there, always loving us - even when he doesn't love what we do. I've never really known what that was until I read her Beauty for Ashes. This is just more of the same - how can be better serve God and others by watching what we say. Boy, that's a good one for me... Anyway. Any of her works are invaluable resources for tapping into the Strength and Love of God, The Father, Son, and Holy Spirit.

The more that I am reading, the more and more that I am thankful. What an incredible gift. I am always surprised by her writings. She surprises with insights rendered truthfully, faithfully, reverentially and faithfully to the Word of God - that's not the surprise. The surprise is that she always seems to say something in such a way that I did not anticipate it; and, without exception, it is something that I needed to hear, to take in, to meditate on. My goodness. What a tremendous gift Joyce is. I am eternally thankful for her, her ministry and all that she gives.

Update: This is SUCH a powerful book. This one, I think more than any other of hers, has had the most profound affect on my thinking, feeling, praying, behaving. She speaks with not merely authority, but humility, sincerity, clarity, passion, humor, all of it - and an obvious love of the Lord, and an unswerving belief, faith in what we can accomplish through Him. Beautiful.
on October 12, 2012
I know you've heard the saying before, "you are what you say!" Yet how often do we take the time really to consider just what we are saying most of the time. It reminds me of another saying when dealing with others, I used to hear from my mom, "If you can't say anything nice, don't say it at all!" How true those sayings really are.

Just the other day a great friend of mine got some incredible news that would mean the world to her family that was facing huge financial difficulties as well as some health issues for her husband. When God came through for them in a very powerful way, I was the first person she called. I was super excited for her because I knew what a burden had been lifted off their shoulders. Then she told me something interesting. She said she was also having doubts that perhaps the reason these things were happening was because the health issue facing her husband was going to turn out well and that's God's way of preparing her for the worst. How funny the enemy is when in the midst of God's glory he is still trying to plant seeds of doubt when we should be celebrating the joys. I reminded her to simply trust God and take it one day at a time. I also reminded her that the words that we speak because the water for the seeds we plant in ourselves. So what you want to grow will become the words you speak, we in fact are watering those seeds of doubt instead of the seeds of joy in this particular situation.

These are just a handful of the insights you will glean from Joyce Meyer's new book, Change Your Words, Change Your Life. There is actually an entire chapter devoted to just what my friend was encountering and so the advice and words of wisdom I shared with her, really hit home. It changed her perspective and really made her think about what she was saying. Joyce reminds you that what you think becomes what we often say. Instead of speaking those negative thoughts which we know don't come from God, we are breathing life into the lies the enemy is planting. This book will really help change your life. It always begins in our minds, our thoughts which eventually become our words, so which seeds will you begin planting today? What kind of fruit are you looking to harvest for God's kingdom and glory?

I received Change Your Words, Change Your Life by Joyce Meyer, compliments of Faith Words, a division of Hachette Book Groups for my honest review. There is so much to help you on the path that will literally change your life in this wonderful hardcover book. Some of the chapters deal with "How to Be Happy," "When to Talk and When Not to Talk," "Speaking Faith and Not Fear," "Do you Really Have to Give Your Opinion?" The Corrosion of Complaints," and so much much more. We all know how hard it is sometimes to hold our tongue when someone offends us or we get upset in fact the Bible is clear we are instructed to do just that. With this book as your guide, and Joyce's straight to the point message, you are bound to find improvement with reading this and applying it to your daily life. I rate this one a 5 out of 5 stars and will be referring to this one A LOT!!!
on September 21, 2012
I normally do not read this type of book, but I must say, this book is compelling. Joyce Meyer's did a superb job on this book. I highly recommend this book to everyone. It actually brought me back to reality.
on March 15, 2016
This book got me through a very difficult time. I enjoy all over her stuff and always get something out of it, but this one in particular really helped. I have recommended it to several others. Gives you a lot to think about and helps the reader reflect on their own thinking, actions, and attitude. My personal favorite. Her best.
on May 14, 2015
All of Joyce's books I've read (about 5) are excellent, insightful and helpful. My favorite is The Secret To True Happiness. This book about changing your words, so far, has been very good. I recommend it.