Winter Driving Best Books of the Month Men's Leather Watches Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon $5 Albums Explore Home Audio All-New Amazon Fire TV Beauty V-Day Valentine's Day Cards Bring a little greenery into your home Amazon Gift Card Offer girls2 girls2 girls2  Amazon Echo All-New Fire Kindle Paperwhite Winter Sports on Amazon.com SnS

Format: Kindle EditionChange

on October 4, 1998
Claudia Black has an inside track of what it feels like to be a family member in a family where addictive behavior is going on. She is able to write in understandable fashion the complex dynamics that go on in addictions and recovery. She never fails to understand the heart and soul and the sheer pain involved in addiction; she also provides insight and solutions for healing. Great work! All her work is very insightful. This is an author who cares about those who read her books.
11 comment48 of 52 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on April 8, 2009
This book helped me understand why I struggle with some of the things I do and helped me take responsibility for how I live my life today. I especially appreciated the 'exercises' wherein you are given the opportunity to reflect and respond to what is being discussed which truly made me become involved in my own healing process. So many 'self-help' books I've read were just a passive read. This one invited and encouraged me to take action and gave me the direction to do just that.
on April 5, 2010
Although I do not come from a family of drugs and or alcohol, we had other serious issues that caused symptoms so common in families of alcoholics. I felt this book was written for me. I made sure to do all the exercises in the book and it was the best thing I have ever done. These exercises took me deep into my issues, gave me clarity of why I kept getting certain results in my relationships and gave me the opportunity to make corrections that were holding me back from leading a happier life. Claudia Black is truly a master on the subject. I highly recommend this book if you are serious about turning your life around.
on July 2, 2011
The author really has an excellent grasp of the dynamics of a dysfunctional family. She not only helps you to see how your childhood defenses helped you to survive in your family of origin, but she shows you how to heal from the wounds that were created thereby not repeating the same patterns. I highly recommend this book if you came from a dysfunctional family and want to understand what happened.
on December 16, 2010
I have done a tremendous amount of reading on PTSD, family history, abuse, etc. This is one of the most helpful books I have ever read that broaches these subjects. It approached the reader with dignity and gives real insight into what a good life could be for yourself, despite a very sad family life in the early years. Very inspiring to me!
on October 30, 2010
This book is one of the best self-help books I have ever picked up. I work as a counselor and have recommended this book to many of my clients. The effect is remarkable. When people are able to gain understanding and closure to their past, they can true "live" in the present. EXCELLENT BOOK!!!!!
on December 12, 2010
A must read book for adult children raised in dysfunctional families. It was as though someone had seen inside my childhood and written down in a book. I had no idea how non-functional my family was. So many things happened in my family which I had still considered "normal"; but they weren't. It opened my eyes and pointed me towards finishing the past. No longer will my decisions be tainted by my childhood. Thank you Claudia Black!
on December 7, 2007
This book I found to be exceptional in helping you to determine what issues you are dealing with, as well as very practical and workable solutions as to how to begin making some positive corrections to your own life and the way you deal with the difficulties.
0Comment10 of 13 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on July 28, 2014
I have purchased several books on this subject and found this one to be the best. One bit of advice, however, order it in hard copy (not Kindle) because you will be working with charts and tables fir which you cannot increase the font and the font showing up on the Kindle will be so small you can't read it without a magnifying glass. Also, you'll need to flip back and forth to some of the tables at the end of the book. Very well written, author knows her stuff. Highly recommend this book to those who are trying to live a good life but keep having childhood abandonment issues influence their thoguhts and choices.
on October 17, 2012
This book takes you to uncomfortable places that we tend to try to pretend didn't happen but this book encourages us to go there for a short time so we can heal from our pasts. It does not leave us in a place of hurts but gently nudges us to be brave and work thru so that we are not stuck in our old behaviors that have molded us but bring us to an even better version of ourselves so we can learn how to act and react in ways we were not taught before. Healthy, productive ways.