4.0 out of 5 stars nice addition to winter wear
Published on February 1, 2011 by ciocio3

3.0 out of 5 stars Not enough room in the nose area
The only problem I have with this balaclava is that it smashes my nose. I ordered the XL but still too tight, but it is not bad enough to return. I wish the nose area was made of a softer more stretchy material rather than a stiff material. Of course I realize this area is made of a stiff material to break the wind but the trade of is that is compresses my nose...
Published on December 11, 2011 by S. Steeley

4.0 out of 5 stars nice addition to winter wear, February 1, 2011
ciocio3 (New York City) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Chaos -CTR Chinook Multi Tasker Pro Micro Fleece Balaclava with Windproof Face Mask (Apparel)
I just started using balaclava-type headgear this winter because the extreme cold can wreak havoc with my asthma. I also own a microfiber UnderArmour balaclava and there are some pros and cons to each. The UnderArmour fits more snugly, is a little easier to breathe through, slips out of place a little more easily, and is not as warm. You can pull down the facemask part but it feels like it's strangling you if you leave it around your neck. The Chinook (the product being reviewed here) was less expensive, made out of microfleece rather than microfiber, so it's warmer, doesn't fit as snugly, and has a mesh hole that you're supposed to wear over your nose and mouth to breathe through. If the mesh hole slips out of place it can be suffocating and very hard to breathe through the fleece material itself. Because of the asthma, I prefer the UnderArmour for when I have to walk around in cold weather with a large backpack because of its breathability, even though it's not as warm. If I'm driving or if I'm walking around without heavy packages, the Chinook is better for the warmth, because it's softer and easier to adjust when I'm not carrying anything. The neck on the Chinook also extends downward further than the UnderArmour so it provides a little extra warmth around the neck base. I tend to double up on scarves over these balaclavas, too - a hooded scarf over the top of my head, and a regular scarf to cover the nose and mouth. Regular winter hats fit more easily over the UnderArmour because of the microfiber.

4.0 out of 5 stars works, December 11, 2011
This is my first balaclava. I wanted to commute by bicycle for a longer time into the winter. This keeps my face almost too warn till at least low 40s to 30s. It does fog up my glasses a bit when breathing through the mouthpiece if I am not moving. Over all its great for keeping the face warm in winter in chilly Boston.

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect., March 19, 2013
I wasn't sure at first because it was fleece but after trying it on and messing with it, it's great. It looks great, feels light and breathable, which for me equals comfort. You can roll the top portion back if you want and just leave up the face portion. My favorite part is that it's the only Balaclava I've had that I can really cover up everything except my eyes and the mask doesn't sway, move or shift out of place and it never gets in my line of sight. If a friend of mine was looking for one of these this would be the one I would recommend.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant design, April 19, 2013
Ordered this after not being satisfied with cheapo-china brands and having sizing trouble with the N-Ferno 6823 (the 6827 model is fine). Although the head areas is slightly roomy on me with an average-sized, round head (22-inches) for an adult male, it wasn't troublesome because you can just pull it down slightly from the rear to keep it from going down over your eyes. And that's part of what's so great; you can get the above-the-eye part all the way down on the eyes if you want, and the below-eye part all the way up to your eyes, so if you choose, you can just have a tiny slit you are looking through. Once you have it in place, it doesn't shift around under a motorcycle helmet, so that's a plus. Breathing mesh is good/easy, well-placed. The entire layout is accurate anatomically, from chin to mouth, to nose, to under-eye length to hinge angle which allows double-covering of ears. Perfect score for me. Warmth is upper-medium.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not enough room in the nose area, December 11, 2011

I bought this to use on cold weather bike commutes and to wear at night on cold weather camping trips.

4.0 out of 5 stars Micro Fleece Balaclava, November 29, 2011
Melody R (Mertztown, PA, US) - See all my reviews
Item arrived quickly. Very nice. Size seems to be true. I usually wear XS helmet and this item is a bit loose on my head. Would definitely purchase another one if needed.

5.0 out of 5 stars I want one for myself, October 22, 2013
I bought this for my husband's trip to ND for work. I know I gave the product 5 stars, but the only tiny complaint I have is that I really thought there was some sort of mesh cloth that would cover the eyes - NOT. There is a complete space for the eyes. That was fine with me, but the picture makes it look like a full head to neck covering and that's just not the case. It fit well, the length was good. My husband has a typical "man like - big head" and it didn't squish his face or ears. I want one for myself!

4.0 out of 5 stars So warm...I'm Spoiled, December 17, 2011
This balaclava is amazing for biking home on a Minnesota winter night...it keeps my neck, forehead, chin, and cheeks warm and cozy and allows me to breath through my mouth. This brings me to why I took away one star...lets say you have the sinvels/runny nose and sniff cause you don't want to stop... well you can't really get any air in through your nose so you have to pull it down which is chilly....this though is they only problem I have with it and I take it everywhere I go! I'm so spoiled that now when my neck gets cold and I am walking I put this on... Its so warm and compacts nicely into my bag when I am not using it! Definitely worth the money.

3.0 out of 5 stars It's OK, October 14, 2013
The overall fit is not as snug as I expected based upon the picture - although there are no issues with it smashing my nose down like others have said I wish it was tighter around my entire head and not so baggy (I have a normal size head and ordered the Large size). At first I was concerned about the color - even though the description says black, the photo appears somewhat dark green; but it is indeed black. It is definitely for outdoor use in cold weather, only a few minutes of wearing it inside and my head was getting hot from my own breath. I guess it's ok for $15, but I would have paid $20 for better quality and put this current style in a $10 range.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fleece Balaclava, March 18, 2013
DCL "Kutiepie" (St Louis, MO USA) - See all my reviews
GREAT! I am cold natured and wanted to attempt to ride some in cold weather. I was worried I would be too cold to enjoy the ride, however with heated gear, a full face helmet and this balaclava, I was able to enjoy a short ride (approx 2hours) in weather below 40 degrees. It didn't cause any excess sweating and my face and neck stayed warm, not cold air excaped down into my jacket. This provided me with good solid coverage

Rate and Discover Movies