4.0 out of 5 stars pricey but quality cost $$
Published 15 months ago by nessavig

3.0 out of 5 stars Not enough room in the nose area
The only problem I have with this balaclava is that it smashes my nose. I ordered the XL but still too tight, but it is not bad enough to return. I wish the nose area was made of a softer more stretchy material rather than a stiff material. Of course I realize this area is made of a stiff material to break the wind but the trade of is that is compresses my nose...
Published on December 11, 2011 by S. Steeley

4.0 out of 5 stars pricey but quality cost $$, October 20, 2013
This review is from: Chaos -CTR Chinook Multi Tasker Pro Micro Fleece Balaclava with Windproof Face Mask (Sports Apparel)
I purchases thr sm/md size... im typicaly a sm/med in motorcycle helmets. I bought this for fall/winter riding. Do far so good. First.. my head crown measures 57cm AND if i measure the middle of my head including my Italian nose it measures 60cm.. this measurement is important! If your head w nose measures MORE than 60cm you shoild by the larger size if you intend on wearing on your nose... becuase the sm/md fits my nose but applies slight pressure but if my nose was even a 1/4cm longer, thevpressure would be too uncomfortable for longer than 15min. It fits the crown of my head perfecly and could stretch to a slightly larger crown. Just pay attention to my nose measure of 60cm.. everyonr has a differnt face lol. It fits great and comes on/off easily w my fullface helmet. I really like that its soft fleece all around but also has windgaurd material in center of neck. Easy to breath in. Also comfortable in all positions. I was originaly going to just get a full mask.. but decided on this becuase i can also weat it when im not riding my motorcycle... so i can just wear it aroind my neck w a cuter winter hat and not worry about a scarf flapping around. Also changes positions easily so if i step in for a coffee... can simply slide down so i dont look as if im commiting a robbery... i really like this. A ton of uses and im very pleased i spend the extra money on it instead of buying a neck tube then full mask seperatly. Hope my measurements helped everuone.

4.0 out of 5 stars nice addition to winter wear, February 1, 2011
ciocio3 (New York City) - See all my reviews
I just started using balaclava-type headgear this winter because the extreme cold can wreak havoc with my asthma. I also own a microfiber UnderArmour balaclava and there are some pros and cons to each. The UnderArmour fits more snugly, is a little easier to breathe through, slips out of place a little more easily, and is not as warm. You can pull down the facemask part but it feels like it's strangling you if you leave it around your neck. The Chinook (the product being reviewed here) was less expensive, made out of microfleece rather than microfiber, so it's warmer, doesn't fit as snugly, and has a mesh hole that you're supposed to wear over your nose and mouth to breathe through. If the mesh hole slips out of place it can be suffocating and very hard to breathe through the fleece material itself. Because of the asthma, I prefer the UnderArmour for when I have to walk around in cold weather with a large backpack because of its breathability, even though it's not as warm. If I'm driving or if I'm walking around without heavy packages, the Chinook is better for the warmth, because it's softer and easier to adjust when I'm not carrying anything. The neck on the Chinook also extends downward further than the UnderArmour so it provides a little extra warmth around the neck base. I tend to double up on scarves over these balaclavas, too - a hooded scarf over the top of my head, and a regular scarf to cover the nose and mouth. Regular winter hats fit more easily over the UnderArmour because of the microfiber.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant design, April 19, 2013
Ordered this after not being satisfied with cheapo-china brands and having sizing trouble with the N-Ferno 6823 (the 6827 model is fine). Although the head areas is slightly roomy on me with an average-sized, round head (22-inches) for an adult male, it wasn't troublesome because you can just pull it down slightly from the rear to keep it from going down over your eyes. And that's part of what's so great; you can get the above-the-eye part all the way down on the eyes if you want, and the below-eye part all the way up to your eyes, so if you choose, you can just have a tiny slit you are looking through. Once you have it in place, it doesn't shift around under a motorcycle helmet, so that's a plus. Breathing mesh is good/easy, well-placed. The entire layout is accurate anatomically, from chin to mouth, to nose, to under-eye length to hinge angle which allows double-covering of ears. Perfect score for me. Warmth is upper-medium.

4.0 out of 5 stars works, December 11, 2011
This is my first balaclava. I wanted to commute by bicycle for a longer time into the winter. This keeps my face almost too warn till at least low 40s to 30s. It does fog up my glasses a bit when breathing through the mouthpiece if I am not moving. Over all its great for keeping the face warm in winter in chilly Boston.

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect., March 19, 2013
I wasn't sure at first because it was fleece but after trying it on and messing with it, it's great. It looks great, feels light and breathable, which for me equals comfort. You can roll the top portion back if you want and just leave up the face portion. My favorite part is that it's the only Balaclava I've had that I can really cover up everything except my eyes and the mask doesn't sway, move or shift out of place and it never gets in my line of sight. If a friend of mine was looking for one of these this would be the one I would recommend.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not enough room in the nose area, December 11, 2011

I bought this to use on cold weather bike commutes and to wear at night on cold weather camping trips.

4.0 out of 5 stars So warm...I'm Spoiled, December 17, 2011
This balaclava is amazing for biking home on a Minnesota winter night...it keeps my neck, forehead, chin, and cheeks warm and cozy and allows me to breath through my mouth. This brings me to why I took away one star...lets say you have the sinvels/runny nose and sniff cause you don't want to stop... well you can't really get any air in through your nose so you have to pull it down which is chilly....this though is they only problem I have with it and I take it everywhere I go! I'm so spoiled that now when my neck gets cold and I am walking I put this on... Its so warm and compacts nicely into my bag when I am not using it! Definitely worth the money.

5.0 out of 5 stars I can't feel my face. Oh wait, yes I can., December 1, 2014
Jogging in winter season? What are you nuts?

Jogging through windchills during winter season? Not a chance,

Jogging through windchills during winter season bare faced? It reminds me of that one time I had a little too much to drink...

So I decided to invest in a mask to keep my face warm while I jog. This was the mask that I found that had a good price range and good reviews.

I wouldn't recommend putting this mask on at night jogging in a security patrolled neighborhood...but almost any other scenarios would be fine to use this.

The mouth area does tend to get moist from condensation through breathing whether it be from your nose, your mouth or both.

Just be aware of this.

This mask keeps my ears WARM, my face WARM, and winter jogging tolerable.

These also wash great but make sure you dry them NOT using a dryer.

I couldn't be more happy with this purchase.

5.0 out of 5 stars Lightweight But Warm, January 21, 2014
I love the design of this balaclava. It is a lightweight fleece, so you don't get overheated when running the way you would in a wool one. At the same time, the hinged design means that there are two layers of cloth over your ears where you need the most protection. The top and bottom can be closed all the way to a tiny slit if that is what you want. The mesh front cuts the wind, but still allows for easy breathing.

I've been running here in Michigan in 20 degree weather (Polar Vortex!) and it's perfect.

They are pretty snug, so I bought the large/x-large size, and that worked fine.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fleece Balaclava, March 18, 2013
DCL "Kutiepie" (St Louis, MO USA) - See all my reviews
GREAT! I am cold natured and wanted to attempt to ride some in cold weather. I was worried I would be too cold to enjoy the ride, however with heated gear, a full face helmet and this balaclava, I was able to enjoy a short ride (approx 2hours) in weather below 40 degrees. It didn't cause any excess sweating and my face and neck stayed warm, not cold air excaped down into my jacket. This provided me with good solid coverage