Truck Month Spring Reading 2016 Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_cbcc_7_fly_beacon Sixx AM Fire TV with 4k Ultra HD Beauty Mother's Day Gifts Amazon Gift Card Offer ctstrph2 ctstrph2 ctstrph2  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Fire, Only $39.99 Kindle Paperwhite UniOrlando Shop Now SnS

on June 19, 2011
I have really enjoyed the preceding three books in the Tide Lords series and was looking forward to a crescendo that successfully resolved the many complex plot lines.
WRONG!
What I got almost reminds me of an awful TV show in the 80s that said the entire previous season had been a dream.
<SPOILER>: Instead of resolving the complex lives and interactions of the Tide Lords not at the palace in Jelidia when the rift is engaged, Fallon takes the cheap way out. She simply obliterates Amyrantha. Poof. Multiple unresolved plot lines taken care of. And the remaining Lords are catapulted into a near-future dystopian Earth.
Really? I expected far better.
Dint waste the time on this one.
on June 15, 2009
The Chaos Crystal.

I read 3 books to get to this and was so disappointed.

All this reading and it's like the author just couldn't give a damn what happened, she just wanted to wrap up the story.
So many things wrong with this fourth book, from repeating the same story over and over from varying characters perspectives, giving away the juicy plot point (the whole rift idea) early in the beginning, to the horrible ending where the world you'd come to love and characters you'd thought were decent are destroyed by monstrous characters you never really cared about because they were so unlikeable.

And then there is the Arkady phenonemon. 'Thank you' for the thorough explanation as to her sudden reappearance and immortality?! Why isn't this explained? It's the end of the book and you can't just leave it like that and expect the reader to be satisfied with a cliffhanger ending that is never going to be resolved and that makes absolutely no sense whatsoever! How is she immortal now, how, how, HOW? Yes we can speculate, but that's not how these things work, they need to make legitmate sense when we have been reading these books and come to understand YOUR rules as to what laws govern the realities of this universe you created. It's a terrible cop out to quickly sum up a book, just to give it an ending that works in your head but certainly not the readers.

Such a tragic disappointment to someone who loves fantasy and especially Aussie fantasy writers.

I know writing books is hard, but you just can't do this to your readers, no matter how confident you feel of your style. We dedicated our imaginations and time to your story and you give us this really, really bad ending that kinda makes me angry and so disheartened.

The first three books were quite good so thankyou for allowing my imagination to see these worlds and characters and fascinating ideas of immortality and how people would deal with it, but the fourth is a failure and thus ruins the series.

Thankyou for writing the first three, but you shouldn't have written the fourth as you did, you should have known better and you should have just not written it if it was going to be like this or at least spent more time getting it right.

So sad it sucked.
oh well. Thankyou, but Next..
1212 comments|18 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 3, 2012
This series began well, and I enjoyed the first three books in the series, I really love the ideas and structure behind it all, but this book was a total cheat. The ending seems quite false, kind of glib, and too easy.

Could the story have come to the same end in a different way, without making me feel cheated? Yes, but the author didn't take any of those paths.

Why create this world, these characters, only to have them come to this ending? Ugh.

Now that I know how the series 'ends' I have no interest in ever re-reading this set of books, which to me is a really bad sign.

Well written stories, well crafted series are worth reading again and again. Not this one.
on June 16, 2012
I so enjoyed the first three books in the series. I was looking forward to the final book and an amazing ending. That was, sadly, not to be! The final book is a COMPLETE letdown. I read ALL the time and I would have to say that this book rates right at the top of 'my most disappointing reads of all time'. I enjoy fantasy novels of other worlds and to have this one start so well and end on EARTH??? With SO many unresolved twists to the plot, so many characters that just disappear from the scene with NO explanation? I am SO sorry, Jennifer Fallon, but, in my opinion, you REALLY blew this one!!
on October 17, 2011
I fortunately was able to read all four books back to back as each had a cliff hanger ending (major dislike for me in a series.) The first three were enjoyable enough to read the next. The series is based on an interesting premise with bits of thought provoking script on religion. Sadly, plotwise, the fourth book started out off key and slid downhill to a hugely disappointing resolution. It was a disgrace to the characters and to the readers and left me with a bad taste in my mind. If the author wants me to read any future books she would have to redo this one first. It just left me saying, "Eww!"
on February 15, 2014
I really enjoy Jennifer Fallon's writing. She has good character and plot development and it is really nice to purchase knowing you won't have to wait for the next one to be published! A good read for fantasy afficianados.
on December 19, 2012
So, I love the books and enjoyed the series. But the ending...
SPOILER

The ending is horrible. I don't expect good to win the day every time, and I certainly would not expect a complete victory here, but to have everything that the characters have been working towards end up literally blowing up in their faces and the "bad" guys completely winning on every level - makes me feel like I wasted my time on the four books.
on August 8, 2014
In a previous review I read that THE LAST BOOK of The Tide Lords series was a "let down, a sort of dream sequence idea"... We all wake up and POOF NEVER HAPPENED OR.??
I am glad to say that I do not find that to be the case... Rather Fallon has done a FAST FORWARD WITH LOOP-dee-looooooooos, that satisfies this reader, willing to accept that while loose ends are NOT tied up, for the most part the loose ends have been snipped and addressed.
on June 19, 2014
Just as much of a page-turner as the first 3 books! I was worried when I saw other negative reviews, but I loved it - series became more ambitious as it went along, which is a good thing!
on January 22, 2009
Ok, so I bought this and was enraptured. So much so that, like an idiot, I bought the other 3 books in this series from Australia (where they are published as of 12/08). Very rich and detailed, full of twists and turns, and political machinations, plus the whim of bored and jaded immortals, hoping for a little bit of entertainment....sounds great, right? Yeah, all the way up to the last 3 chapters of the very last book. The ending of this series was a total cop out! It was sooo wimpy and cliche that I wanted to throw all of the books in the fire place! Maybe, when they are all published in the States, there will be a rewrite of the ending, but if not, scores of people will be disappointed with the attempted wrinkle (which, IMHO, failed completely) at the end of the series. Disappointing, because I really like Jennifer Fallon. She must have run up on a deadline to try to pass of the drivel of the last two paragraphs in what is supposed to be the culmination of this series. Don't say I didn't warn you!