4.0 out of 5 stars Solid and Consistent Fifth Album by Songz
Published on August 21, 2012 by Michael Brent Faulkner, Jr.

3.0 out of 5 stars Typical Trey
You get what you pay for; I'll say that much.

Published on August 25, 2012 by Tempestt

4.0 out of 5 stars Solid and Consistent Fifth Album by Songz, August 21, 2012
This review is from: Chapter V (Audio CD)
R&B singer Trey Songz releases his fifth studio effort, 2012's Chapter V as a follow up to 2010's Passion, Pain & Pleasure. The artist continues in a sensual and sometimes salacious direction on Chapter V, highly inspired by his idol, R. Kelly. Songz doesn't tread too far from the formula of his most recent albums, though that doesn't impair Chapter V's consistency in the least.

The intro, titled "Chapter V" sets the tone of the effort. "Dive In" starts the effort strongly, given its slow tempo and sensual sensibilities. Songz does little to differentiate this from say "Neighbors Know My Name" or similarly veined cuts, but `if it ain't broke, don't fix it' is not a bad adherence here. The salacious "Panty Wetter" proceeds, finding Songz sounding edgy and emulating R. Kelly both thematically and vocally. Risqué without being too raw, Trey controls himself.

"Heart Attack," the promo single co-penned by R&B hit-maker Rico Love, is a highlight. Characterized by big drums and a hint of synths, Songz sounds exceptional overall: "In too deep, can't think about giving it up/but I never knew, love would feel like a heart attack/It's killing me, swear I never cried so much/cause I never knew love would hurt this bad..."
"Playin Hard" finds Songz returning to his days as an MC. A bit odd and even clunky at first,
"Playin' Hard" eventually unfurls its magic. The production serves as a sound backdrop for Songz's `spitting' and `crooning,' though falls short of the glory of "Dive In" or "Heart Attack."

"2 Reasons" is a "Bottoms Up" remake, though a downgrade at best. Production is the cut's solid point, T.I.'s downgraded swag shows on his clumsy, indecipherable verse. No more corny is than the Trey's hook: "I only came for the ladies and the drinks..." "Hail Mary" atones with it's hardcore sound. Jeezy and Lil Wayne assist solidly. Catchy and enjoyable, "Hail Mary" works well. Staying in hip-hop sensibility, Songz adds Rick Ross on "Don't Be Scared," another solid, though not `earth shattering' cut.

"Pretty Girls Lie" is a pleasant surprise as it gives Songz a different sound than the audience is accustomed to. "Pretty girls lie/lipstick in her smile/make you want to believe/but pretty girls lie/pain so deep inside/she can't even see/pretty girls lie...," Songz sings in heartfelt fashion. Add an well composed key change and Songz instantly shows more range and credibility as an artist.
"Bad Decisions" a Drake-styled R&B track follows. Songz sings well here, but the song feels a bit static even given Songz's musical prowess.

"Forever Yours" allows Songz to reference `undies' once more, a topic that seems `near and dear' to his heart. The use of synths and electronic sensibility is tasteful and balanced. A sensually-contrived interlude, "Inside Interlewd" precedes the football-referencing "Fumble."

"Fumble" finds the tempo slow and Songz's vocals crystal clear. Characterized by excellent nuance and high emotion, "Fumble" is an `ace-in-the-hole' type of cut for Songz. "Without A Woman" proves none too shabby itself, finding Songz drawing more comparisons to his musical `daddy,' R. Kelly.

"Interlude4u" proceeds, followed by the ok, but not great pop-R&B crossover "Simply Amazing." Penultimate cut "Never Again" sampes Curtis Mayfield and perhaps is a shade better than "Simply Amazing." "Check Me Out" adds Meek Mill and Diddy and can be characterized as `clubby.'

Overall, Chapter V is solid and enjoyable. It is not the best R&B album of the year per say, but it is consistent, solid, and entertaining by all means.

3.0 out of 5 stars Typical Trey, August 25, 2012
Tempestt (North Carolina/Louisiana/England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Chapter V (Audio CD)
You get what you pay for; I'll say that much.

LOL; I honestly have no clue when this guy is going to figure out that even his most diehard fans are tired of repetitive sex songs. I really don't see him ever topping 'Ready' and definitely not his debut album (I have his first; it is vastly underrated and actually had some substance behind it -- not to mention very few people were checking for him as he had braids when they were beginning to become played out and was pitifully scrawny). Still -- here are the standouts, for me:

-Playin' Hard
-Don't Be Scared
-Pretty Girl's Lie
-Bad Decisions
-Forever Yours
-Fumble

2.0 out of 5 stars Cocky and comfortable., September 19, 2012
This review is from: Chapter V (Audio CD)
this is my least favorite CD and I got them all. he took us in a direction that is ridiculously so far away from love music. I originally got the explicit version which I could not tolerate the p word, n word, f word in Love music?? I hate that this mess went to number 1 and it was on the strength of his fans buying it sight unheard. he is cocky and comfortable and it shows in his music, interviews, etc. the only good thing is the 1-2 CLEAN love songs. I should have only bought singles.

2.0 out of 5 stars Didn't like this one as much as his others.., August 21, 2012
H. MCGEE (Apopka, FL USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Chapter V [Explicit] (MP3 Music)
I really can't put my finger on it but this album did not have the same feel as his others. As an artist I love his style, love his nice flowing slow songs but I couldn't find any on this one that grabbed me like his previous albums. Even his mixtapes had awesome tracks on them that I loved. I will give the album another listen, then go back to his other classic albums. I guess you could say I am a little dissapointed cause he had set the bar so high in his previous outings.

3.0 out of 5 stars Mixed Feelings About Chapter V (Deluxe Copy), August 31, 2012
This review is from: Chapter V (Audio CD)
Granted, while I'm proud of Trey Songz for scoring a #1 album on the Billboard Top-200, this album has to be my least favorite of his. The album has high points, Trey continues his traditional sexy sound with songs like: Dive In, Panty Wetter, and Heart Attack. There are songs on the album like that deal with personal pain/failed love: Fumble (my fav), Bad Decisions, Without A Woman, and Pretty Girl's Lie are promising tracks. The only negative, when I listened to 'Ladies Go Wild' -- I heard this electronic-dance sound coming through my speakers. Not to say electronic-pop is bad, but there are certain artists and genres who should leave it to other artists to mess with. The reason why I loathe it is because other favorites of mine--Usher and Chris Brown--have made their home too much in that sound, which have somewhat made them abandon their R&B roots (hope Trey isn't following the same path). Overall the album mixed in my book. The lyrical content isn't as strong as 'Ready' or 'PP&P'. Trey's voice is still pretty good as usual and makes several of the songs work in his favor because of it. The features with T.I., Young Jeezy, Rick Ross, and Lil Wayne are favorable.

Rating - 3.5/5.0

2.0 out of 5 stars one two tracks worth listening too., June 12, 2013
P. (CHICAGO, IL USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Chapter V [Explicit] (MP3 Music)
I want my money back! I am so tired of artist putting out sub par music. Having one track on the entire cd is just not worth it. Come one dude You trying to be better then Kellz then please put out some good music cause this aint it. This cd is really boring there is no good music on here. Trey just a pretty face with average talent.

3.0 out of 5 stars Do Better, January 20, 2013
This review is from: Chapter V [Explicit] (MP3 Music)
he could have sang all the same songs and made the same statement without all the cursing .>>>>>>>Sing peaceful songs into the atmosphere. Mr songz

3.0 out of 5 stars Trey Songz dropped the ball., October 25, 2012
This review is from: Chapter V (Audio CD)
This album was highly promoted. It wasn't as good as his other albums. He has just a few songs on the album that I like.

3.0 out of 5 stars Chapter V Review, September 7, 2012
This review is from: Chapter V [Clean] (MP3 Music)
Good album, but not as good as the "Passion, Pleasure, Pain" album. A lot of the songs seem to have similar melodies, making the entire album sound "rushed".

4.0 out of 5 stars Good R&B Album, August 29, 2012
This review is from: Chapter V (Audio CD)
This is a good R&B album, ever since I heard the song Heart Attack this album was highly anticipated by me and it did not disappoint. Not every single song on this cd is perfect but the songs that are perfect make this album worth every penny of the $9.99 that I spent when I purchased it at Target the day it came out. I miss this kind of R&B, to me Trey makes the type of music that Usher used to make back in the late 90's/early 00's when he was really awesome. Songs like Panty Wetter, Dive In, and Pretty Girls Lie are where Trey is at his best. He also enlists the King of the South T.I. on the song 2 Reasons and Young Jeezy and Lil Wayne ride with him on the track Hail Mary, The Boss Rick Ross is on the track Don't Be Scared and Diddy and Meek Mill are on the club song titled Check Me Out(which happens to be one of my least fav on the album). Trey is the man when he sticks to his formula of sexually themed lyrics it works for him and he should stick with that but he is also really good when he pours emotion onto the track with songs like Heart Attack and Simply Amazing. In my opinion this is a good follow-up to his previous album Passion,Pleasure and Pain and I am not disappointed with my choice to buy it. If u luv excellent R&B then this is definitely worth checking out, Treys voice is so smooth and nobody makes R&B music like he can right now. Enjoy the album.

Chapter V
Chapter V by Trey Songz (Audio CD - 2012)