4.0 out of 5 stars great grill for the price
Great grill for the price!
Pros: Sturdy, looks great, locking caster wheels, four-burner, built-in thermometer, electric ignition, very nice side burner with built-in cover, affordable quality, met expectations (You get what you pay for).
Published on May 8, 2011 by happy customer

2.0 out of 5 stars pretty outside, but a rust magnet on the inside
Published on May 6, 2009 by John P.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

2.0 out of 5 stars pretty outside, but a rust magnet on the inside, May 6, 2009
John P. (Redmond, WA United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Char-Broil 4-Burner Gas Grill, with Side Burner (Lawn & Patio)
Don't let the pretty stainless steel on the outside fool you into thinking these things are weatherproof and long-lasting. The inside of mine (burners and grate) rusted out in a year. The worse thing here is that these parts have a 10 year warranty and Char-broil denied my case. I keep this grill covered and against my house when not in use. Very disappointed all around.

1.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful piece of attractive JUNK!, September 13, 2010
My wife and I bought this grill with our tax return money. After spending 4 hours to assemble the grill we decided to cook on it. Instantly, we had regulator problems and had to reset the regulator. This is fairly normal for first post-assembly usage, but the regulator would reset itself every single time we tried to use it. Keep in mind that this grill sits on our back patio and is chained to a stake placed in the ground. This grill never moves, and even an extremely strong wind could not move this grill with its current setup. I spent $499.99 for my grill. Aside from the constant regulator problems, it actually cooked fairly well for about 3 times that we used it. Gunk gets built up on the surface of the "infrared grill plates" and once that happens, say goodbye to your heat, and your cooking potential. We tried to use it about 12 more times, each time working through the regulator resets, and the low heat. I repeatedly tried to clean the "Infrared grill plates", but they are near to impossible to clean. I even rented a power washer to try to clean them. Finally the last time I tried to clean the plates, they almost disintegrated they were so corroded/rusted. I contacted the company and told them that the "Infrared plates" had completely fallen apart, and asked them if they would replace them for me. They told me that the replacement grates would cost $24.00 each +s/h and that I could order the 4 that I needed. They said that I should have chemically cleaned the grates every time that I used them and applied a small amount of oil to each one. Give me a break! I have a $34.99 Weber charcoal grill that I have used regularly for 3 years that hasn't corroded and it doesn't even have the $50.00 cover that I put on this gas grill. I pleaded with customer service to have them stand by their product but they refused. I told them I would not buy replacement "Infrared grill plates" and that I would just sell this grill in a yard sale. I also told them that I would be certain to blog about my experience. Please do yourself a favor and do not buy anything from Char-Broil. Their customer service and their products suck. Go with Weber instead. I am just trying to help you save money, and I wish someone would have done the same for me before I bought this grill. Thank you.

1.0 out of 5 stars I should have got a Weber......, August 26, 2009
My young children "bought" me a grill for Father's Day, 2008. It's a Char-Broil very similar to this one and was a decent grill - for the first 6 mos or so. Although even from the beginning, the hot spots are unacceptable. A difference of 2-3" on the cooktop can mean 2x the cooking time. Once I figured out where the hot spots were and learned to move the food around frequently, the grill was at least usable. Sort of.

So, here we are 14 months later. My grill does sit outdoors, but is covered religiously with an outdoor-specific cover. My cooking grates are rusted to the point of falling apart and the galvanized drip tray under the firebox has rusted so badly, it has broken away and is hanging underneath. I contacted Char-Broil customer support and explained my situation. They claim these grills are designed to last 20-30 years. Yet, when mine rusts to pieces after a year - they refuse to stand behind a obvious product malfunction. Parts to repair my grill is $200 with shipping - nearly 75% of the original purchase price. After pleading my case and arguing with a supervisor, we've reached no resolution. The only explanation I've been offered for the rust is that I "didn't wash the grill down with water frequently enough." Yes, because MORE water is always the solution for rust. What a joke.

So, I'm now rolling my 1 year-old Char-Broil Grill to the curb to be picked up by my friendly garbage collectors. I guess I'll chalk this up as a an expensive learning experience and am writing this review to hopefully save you the same pain.

DO NOT BUY A CHAR BROIL PRODUCT - JUNK!!!

1.0 out of 5 stars Cruddy Grill, June 6, 2009
Matthew Asnip "bibliophile" (Atlanta, GA United States) - See all my reviews
Pro: The grill looks very pretty when first bought

Con: It rusts quickly. It has the hallmarked Char Broil lack of quality. The gas regulator activates too quickly. It never really heats hot. The maximum it gets to even when the gas regulator is working (which isn't too often) is around 450 degrees.

1.0 out of 5 stars A Beautiful Piece of Junk, September 27, 2009
It looks great,,,but it is the pits.
I cannot understand how this product has such a poor outer surface. Cheap paint?? Rust??...Customer support,the worst.. They choose not to talk to you or return yor e-mails. I should have went with my gut and got another Webber.
This Spring i will after this one sits on the curb with a "Free for the Taking Sign"

1.0 out of 5 stars Beware, May 7, 2009
Beware. The warranty does not cover cosmetic flaws to their stainess grills. Even if you use their own products to clean it. Cosmetic stains look horrible.

4.0 out of 5 stars great grill for the price, May 8, 2011
Great grill for the price!
Cons: So far just the amount of time for assembly. It took about an hour and a half (Three times longer than their estimate)but not terrible. The instructions were easy to understand and the parts were adequately labeled, but it actually took about 15min. just to unpack. can't really complain about that either though since all the parts were well protected from damage and arrived totally intact, thereby saving me all kinds of time trying to get replacements. Worked great, heated awesomely on its maiden voyage, we'll see how it fares in the future...
PS. I actually picked mine up at a local retailer called Fred Meyer (Parent company is Kroger)on sale for $200.00! I'm ordering my cover from Amazon for sure $20 instead of $34.99 from Char-Broil's own website!
Thanks Amazon!

1.0 out of 5 stars Do not buy Char Broil, June 14, 2010
mark reed (Oak Park, IL United States) - See all my reviews
Consumer Reports recommended this piece of junk. My grill came out of the box with uneven burning. Char Broil's solution was to keep sending me different parts (3 times) and then eventually gave up figuring it was my fault. Terrible product and terrible customer service.

1.0 out of 5 stars Another piece of Char-Broil crap., November 9, 2010
Do not buy Char-Broil unless you are the one who wants to get burned. Total crap,all models, look pretty however don't be misled by the looks, watch it rust away including stainless steel parts ? CHEAP_CHEAP purchased at Lowes.

1.0 out of 5 stars Rust Bucket, April 13, 2011
We've had this grill for not quite two years (in Austin, TX) and the thing has almost completely rusted apart. The entire bottom of the firebox is gone (rather, it's in pieces all over our deck), the starter stopped working a long time ago, and the grill grates are rusted and splintered. There's no way to recommend this one.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›