Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Char-Broil Performance TRU Infrared 480 3-Burner Gas Grill with Side Burner and Cabinet
Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Pink Floyd Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer showtimemulti showtimemulti showtimemulti  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro

on September 1, 2013
I bought this grille at Lowes, in a box, and took it home to assemble. It was only $280.00 then, and was a replacement for another brand that was recalled. I agree with the other review, it is a challenge to assemble, around 1 hour. But when you get it finished, hook up the gas, and turn it on, it is hard to beat! My brother went for one shortly after seeing mine, and he is even happier than me. Excellent grill, have not had any problems with it, is not rusted out, but I must say, it is important to keep it clean. The 3 burner tops come out, and you need to take them out and clean them regularly. My brother taught me that! All in all, it is a great grill and has lasted longer (burners not rusted) than any other grill to date. I noticed that there is a 500 square inch one, they might be different, but they look exactly alike and would have 20 square inches of difference (One Hamburger Patty) which is 4"x5". Happy grilling!
on April 6, 2015
This grill was amazing for about 6 months. I live in Houston. I kept it covered and it was under an overhang. After a year the "lifetime warranty" burners decayed and needed to be replaced. The igniter went out about the same time. Shortly after that, the porcelain cook top decayed and needed to be replaced. I ended up having to spend over $200 on replacement parts after a year and a half. The bottom is completely rusted out after a year and a half.

The infrared grids get gummed up quick and it requires a lot of maintenance to keep it running well. I was too lazy for that and paid for it later. You can prepare to clean the infrared grids after every use to keep it in working order.

If the igniter goes out, there is not an easy way to light the grill. You need to lift the cook top and infared grid to get to the burner. A fire stick will not fit through the holes in front of the grill.

I was hopeful when I bought this grill and loved it at first. I would not even consider getting another. I paid $400 for this grill when I bought it and ended up putting good money towards bad to keep it running. I am now looking at a Weber which is way better built and last longer. This is my 2nd Charbroil to decay so rapidly. I am done with them completely. I learned not to throw good money at bad this time.
on December 31, 2013
I have used this grill four times since purchase. I am very pleased with it performance. There is no flare ups like most grills. Meat cooks evenly across the grill plates.
on February 25, 2014
This is a solid grill. I'm happy I purchased it through Amazon. It arrived in 2 days and only took about 2.5 hours to assemble. There are definitely a ton of parts and a lot of step to follow, but overall it was fairly straight forward. I was able to assemble it all myself, but the main part of the unit is one big piece which is fairly heavy. I'd recommend having another person help with lifting that part (and the directions will recommend that as well).

So far it has worked well. It definitely gets really hot and seems to give a more even heat than my past CharBroil grill which I used for over 7 years.

A COUPLE COMPLAINTS:
- There are 3 thermometers installed just over the temperature knobs. I do not believe that these thermometers give off acurate readings. Within minutes of being turned on, all thermometers read about 600 degrees. Even if I turn 1 or 2 burners off and the others down to low, it will typically never drop below 500 degrees.
- Also, on past grills there was a range that each knob let you adjust the flames (from high to low). On my other grills I was offered a wide range and you could tell the difference between high and low to a great degree. On this grill the range is fairly small (only about a 1/4 turn of the knob). So the result is that I don't see much difference in the high setting as compared to the low setting - or at least not as much as I would like.

Otherwise, I am happy with the grill.
on April 22, 2014
This is a wonderful grill. One note though this had some of the worst directions I've ever come across. Once I finally
got it all together it really does cook wonderfully.
on May 23, 2015
For 15 months this grill was outstanding. Little did I know that the heat shield was rotting away and would fall out during the 17th month of ownership. Char-Broil did stand behind their product and shipped a new firebox to me under warranty. I have owned several Char-Broil grills over the past 20 years and use them heavily, but I have never had one rust apart on me. When attempting to install the new firebox, only half of the screws were not rusted into place and I have found several other rust areas in the cart and shelving. Off to buy another grill and my brand loyalty is waning fast.

Update -- The replacement firebox's heat shield is beginning to rust at the rivets after a year of use. I really wanted the replacement parts to be of better quality, but they are not. Unfortunately, this grill is too pricey to be buying a new one every two or three years and rebuilding it is just not practical.
on December 20, 2013
When they say "even" heat they mean it, I took a thermometer and placed it all over the grill same temp. every where.and the meat relly does seam moister. Great for cooking a cut up chicken you can adjust the temps and cook the whole thing at 1 time, you dont have to wait for the larger portions to cook. great grill
on November 15, 2015
I've owned this grill for a couple of months now and have ran 2 bottles of propane through it. I'm very impressed with the performance of it. The infrared grates are really an amazing feature and I don't think I'll ever buy another grill that has your standard grates on them. They really do prevent flare ups, I haven't seen one yet. It's nice to be able to fill the grilling area full of burgers and not have to worry about some becoming scorched from flare ups. I've cooked pretty much every kind of meat on it and it's all turned out great. It does cook faster than most other grills which I consider a plus.

The entire surface area of the grill is pretty much evenly heated. I've had it full several times and have not noticed any low temp or hot spots. The infrared plates are kind of a pain to clean but it's not too bad as I only have to do it every 3 or so times I cook and it's a nice trade off not worrying about flames coming through. I haven't used the side burner so I can't comment on it but it makes a pretty good flame so I'd assume it's on par with all other side burners.

The overall fit and finish of the grill is pretty good, but it also has the reasons why I don't consider this grill perfect. Mine came with paint already removed and bare metal showing in 2 spots on some of the black areas. Another thing which stumped me for awhile was that the 2 side panels that connect to the back panel did not have their holes drilled in the same spot from the factory. On one side the holes were a whole inch higher. I had to drill my own holes to get it to assemble properly. Not something you need to do on a $300 product. Quality control was really lacking on the fit and finish department of my grill.

Another problem I occasionally have that seems like a common problem is that when I go to light the grill the auto igniter won't make a spark. You have to twist the battery compartment till it will catch right and ignite.

Overall I would still highly recommend this grill. If Charbroil would take the quality control a bit more serious I would consider this grill to be perfect. I'm sold on the infrared plates and will never own another grill without them.
review image
on June 8, 2015
Love it! I received this grill as an early Christmas present and, as I couldn't wait, I read the reviews, saw that putting it together was somewhat challenging, and then found this video on YouTube re: assembly: https://youtu.be/UAYb7wON6cQ. Once I received the grill, the combo of the video and the written instructions were extremely helpful.

So far, I've grilled chicken breasts and hamburgers and they were so moist! I was stunned, especially since the burgers accidentally came out well-done. I'm not yet used to how fast this sucker cooks meat but, nevertheless, the results were outstanding.

Why four stars? The ignition switch broke off after only 2 uses. I perused the Char-Broil site and saw that this is a recurring issue with no apparent resolution besides ordering the switch again and again. I'm waiting for my replacement switch as I write this. It seems to be a simple fix but apparently Char-Broil has not implemented any solution. However, customer service has been phenomenal (they also quickly sent out a replacement left door that had been bent in transit) so my actual review would be 4.5, if Amazon allowed.
on June 18, 2015
We finally retired our 7 yr. old Char-Broil grill. We were debating between the Weber and this TRU Infrared. We wanted to keep our expenses down, so we chose the Char-Broil! So glad we did! With a bit of help from my husband, I assembled it in approx. 1 1/2 hrs. The instructions could have been better, but if you take your time, you won't have any problems. Once it was completed, we grilled a couple of filet mignons and they were the juiciest we've ever tasted from the grill!