4.0 out of 5 stars The essential first smoker
If you're looking to get your first smoker, look no further. Since it's a horizontal-style smoker, it can also double as a BBQ pit/charcoal grill. Plenty of room, very versatile. Treat it well and it will give you a decade of use.

Published on February 25, 2006 by mbrennan

2.0 out of 5 stars I was underimpressed
I was looking for a grill/smoker, and I had some experience with Charbroil in the past, and was not disappointed. This grill/smoker did not impress me. Here's what I liked:
1. Both the grill and side firebox come in the same package and are designed to work seamlessly together. And they do work well together.
2. It does have an attractive price.
3. The...
Published on July 9, 2007 by CBMTTek

4.0 out of 5 stars The essential first smoker, February 25, 2006
This review is from: Char-Broil Silver Smoker (Discontinued by Manufacturer) (Lawn & Patio)

The reason I can't give it 5 stars is because of the thickness of the metal. If it were a little thicker, there would be much more heat retention. You can buy smokers with 1/4"+ thickness, but expect to pay at least $600.

This is easily the best smoker in its price range.

Make sure you season the inside of the smoker similar to how you would season a cast iron pan. As with any smoker, before use, paint the interior of the smoker with shortening or vegetable oil, then start up the smoker and let it smoke for a couple or few hours.

Also, you should almost always keep the chimney vent all the way open. Use the intake vent on the firebox for temperature control.

4.0 out of 5 stars Perfect for the Rookie Smoker, May 6, 2006
Christopher J. Cross "Byff" (St. Louis, MO United States) - See all my reviews
I got this grill last year as a father's day gift. I'd never smoked any meat in my life but have been a grill-man for a looong time. This smoker makes it easy. I've done ribs, brisquet, pork steaks, chicken. All turned out great, that brisquet especially! Make sure you cure the inside of the grill before cooking anything in it. There are instructions in the box. Also, if your model doesn't come with the built-in thermometer, make sure you order one from the char-broil website. Using a standard oven thermometer wastes time and precious heat.

2.0 out of 5 stars I was underimpressed, July 9, 2007
CBMTTek (Anchorage, AK) - See all my reviews
2. It does have an attractive price.
3. The side firebox is to the left. Being stubbornly right handed, I prefer to have my tools handy to the right, not the left.

What I do not like:
1. Thin metal used on grill body. Does not retain heat well.
2. The opening to the main grill area covers only about 1/2 of the grill surface. What that means is that you will have to reach into the grill to get to any items that are near the back. That gets hot, and makes it difficult to get that nagging hamburger that just will NOT get on the flipper.
3. I just do not see this grill lasting me for years, and if I need to replace it in 3-5 years, the attractiveness of the price just disappeared.

So, I sold this on Craigslist, and bought me the Char Griller Super Pro and Side Fire Box (sold seperately) for not too much more. That I would recommend.

4.0 out of 5 stars You know what you're getting, March 24, 2009
As a grad. student in Tennessee I didn't have the funds to purchase a great smoker, but for under $200 it does the job. I do tons of ribs, and after about five batches I'm constistantly churning out quality pork ribs. I don't really mind the thin metal, that is easiely compensated for, my biggest complaint is that the door isn't tight enough, which makes heating the other side of the grill area harder. But for under $200 I don't expect creme de la creme, I expect something that works, and it does work.

3.0 out of 5 stars Don't buy propane!!!!, May 9, 2010
My husband owns this smoker. He has just gotten into real authentic BBQ. He has done a lot of research regarding this smoker and has made all the appropriate modifications. He uses the Minion method of fire building and has no problems controlling the heat. This is a good beginners model to start learning about real BBQ. His results with this smoker have been awesome and he would recommend this smoker for anyone who wants to do real BBQ and isn't afraid to do some work to the smoker.

3.0 out of 5 stars Too Cool, October 28, 2008
The only problem with this type of smoker is controlling the heat. As hot air naturally rises,you will find that the heat is much greater near the fire box and then travels upward accross the top of the grill and out the vent. Requires much repositioning of the meat.

1.0 out of 5 stars Long Time User - WORST of the bunch, May 28, 2007
Have been using smokers for over 15 years and last one - by another competitor - was looking well worn but still functional. Decided to surprise my husband and buy this one...surprise was on me. Out of the box this seemed to have a few nice features especially for the price...$199. It included larger wheels and a stainless vegetable rack which was nice. During first ignition the paint and finish began to peel in HUGE chunks so the plain metal is showing in giant gaps. Finish on competitor brand looks better after all these years than first use with this one! VERY displeased. Finish was ultra thin, peeling and cracking everywhere with first use...fire was NOT that high either. Will be returning for refund but save your money and go with something else. JUNK.

5.0 out of 5 stars Char Broil Silver Smoker, August 13, 2007
R. Miller (Muscatine, IA USA) - See all my reviews
Delivery time was short and product arrived without damage. Assembly was fairly simple with excellent directions. I have two other smokers, one small Smokey Joe and Bradley electric digital smoker, which I really love. I purchased this larger smoker for more smoking space and to get more intense smoke flavor. After seasoning unit, I smoked 4 full slabs of pork loin ribs, a 14 lb. turkey, a 6 lb. whole chicken, and 8 large chicken breasts. All turned our really great with exception of 1 rib that was too close to the smoke chamber. I didn't follow directions..it was my fault. I was very pleased with this purchase and look forward to new smoking adventures.

4.0 out of 5 stars very good entry level smoker, July 9, 2010
reviewers who are intent on modifications (extra $) and criticizing the metal thickness (extra $) should alter their perceptions of what a cheap and effective smoker is/should be (i.e. you can put an oven thermometer inside instead of making your own).

i have used this smoker for four seasons now and it has yet to let me down. i regularly prepare pork shoulders, once smoking 4 shoulders and 1 chicken on it simultaneously.

compared to other smokers (especially at this price), this one has a long smoke chamber, allowing you to place your food farther away from the heat.

2.0 out of 5 stars It's a challenge, February 13, 2011
We got this grill from a neighbor\friend who couldn't abandoned it in place. All we had was a Weber and a gas grill, so it was a nice change. You can definitely do some good cooking on here, no doubt about it. Steaks, burgers, chicken, brisket and even a couple of 30-40 lb pigs.

Pro's
- It's charcoal
- Enables user to use direct and\or indirect heating methods
- Good for smoke chips
- Versatile

Con's
- Thin metal- you lose a lot of heat through the body, and it is prone to breaking. Screws need tightening every so often
- Need's to be babied if it's going to last
- Top heavy and prone to falling (We BBQ in even the most inclement weather)
- Must be babysat if you want your food to come out well. That means 8-10 hours for a pig. Which is ok, but the beer and cigars get expensive!

I wouldn't recommend for a first timer, the reason being is that it really requires some determination to continue after several failed attempts at making food. It isn't really operator fault as much as it is just trying to regulate temp and smoke while rapidly losing heat through unsealed lids and thin metal. The dampers work effectively, but as previously stated, needs some TLC.

Spend a few extra $$ and get something, especially a beginner, can get the hang of rapidly.

Char-Broil Silver Smoker (Discontinued by Manufacturer)
Used & New from: $250.00