5.0 out of 5 stars Char-Griller Patio Pro
I love to BBQ and I have had my 22 ˝" Weber Charcoal grill for the last 5 years. The issue was for day to day grilling when I did not have any guest over, the Weber was just a waste of charcoal and time for light cooking.

Published on May 31, 2008 by Customer

3.0 out of 5 stars You'd better be an "Assembly Pro"
Published on August 1, 2007 by M. E. L.

5.0 out of 5 stars Char-Griller Patio Pro, May 31, 2008
This review is from: Char-Griller 1515 Patio Pro Model Grill (Lawn & Patio)

I wanted something way smaller for my deck for only 1-2 people. Requirement had to be charcoal (of course). I searched around the market for a while and found that Weber and several other manufactures had mini charcoal grills. The issue was that most of them were low to the ground. They were all selling for $20-$30 depending on the brand. I then discovered the Char-Griller Patio Pro. After seeing the build material (cast iron) and the sturdiness of the support frame in which the cooking box sat on top of, I knew this was the product that would meet my expectations.

Delivery:
I ordered the product from Amazon and received it within ~ 4 days. The correct package arrived on time and undamaged, so the ordering experience was perfect. I arrived from work around 7 pm and saw the package at my doorstep and I was excited to grill that night. However, I had read the review of other customers who ordered this grill and I knew assembly was going to be a nightmare. Sure enough, assembling the grill was absolute HELL!! Needless to say, I was not able to grill the day the product arrived.

Assembly:
The grill will arrive with all the pieces for it within the actual grill box. Everything is sticky as it has been coated with oil from the factory, so make sure you assemble your grill in the proper location. The grill has numerous screws and mini pieces which are not clearly identified at all in the instruction manual. The instruction manual is absolutely worthless as its measurements for the pieces are inaccurate and in my particular case, I had less pieces that what the manual said I needed, yet I still assembled the grill without running out of pieces. I will spare you the agonizing details of my assembly experience and summarize it as: Assembling the grill is going to be the ONLY bad experience in owning this product.

USAGE:
With that said, the actual functionality of this grill is EXCELLENT. It is PERFECT for its intended cause...cooking for 1-2 hungry men, or 1-4 average people. The grate is made out of cast iron and requires to be initially coated in vegetable oil over 300 degree fire for 2 hrs (according to the manual). I recommend doing what I did to get the grill ready for use...in order to burn off all the factory oils and "crap," I just filled it to the rim with charcoal and left it to burn...when I came back, all the oil's, crap, and "new stink" disappeared and the cast iron grates were seasoned and ready for use.

The first time I grilled was excellent. The air ventilation system allows for even heat distribution so you can control your fire. Another excellent feature of this product is the cast iron grates...they get so hot and leave an awesome grill mark on your meat...something I could never get with the grate on my Weber.

In addition, the little tray on the side is a HUGE convenience factor when cooking. You can actually put pretty heavy things on it without worrying it will break. During assembly, when I felt the wood material that was used for the tray, I was extremely concerned because I thought when the grill would get hot, they would burn away. So far, this has not been the case, however, time will tell how long they last. But at the present moment, they are perfect. Not shown in Amazon's picture for this product is three little hooks that you have to manually screw into your tray, which will allow you to hang your cooking tools...another cool convenience factor.

Cleaning:
Cleaning is pretty easy too as the charcoal tray box easily slides out and you just dump the ashes into a trash bag.

Overall quality is excellent and I am pleased that the grill does not wobble. In my opinion, aside from the assembly experience, you will not find a better mini charcoal grill with all the features that this grill has [...].

5.0 out of 5 stars Great small grill, December 13, 2007
This review is from: Char-Griller 1515 Patio Pro Model Grill (Lawn & Patio)
Great small grill- if you don't have a lot of room, this is the grill for you. The iron grates are great (pun intended) for even heat distribution. It is too small to use charcoal baskets, but if you scrape the coals to both ends you can do some indirect grilling. It's just big enough for a 5-6 pound beer can chicken. The assembly instructions are terrible, but as a guy that's half the fun. Be sure to properly season it before use- coat all surfaces with vegetable oil and fire up enough coals to burn for a few hours. It'll burn off all the excess grease, paint, etc. used in manufacturing.

5.0 out of 5 stars Compact 'N' Rugged!!!!, July 1, 2010
This review is from: Char-Griller 1515 Patio Pro Model Grill (Lawn & Patio)
I purchased this grill a few days ago after I saw it on display in a box at a retail store. This grill is built to last, and what I mean by that, is that the materials (steel, etc.) are going to endure both the elements, as well as any rough handling. I also did some research on the manufacturers, and from what I've seen, they make only HIGH QUALITY products. This is just one of their lil babies, next to their other portable grill, which has the same size cooking area, and can be carried around easily.

The only fault I see with this grill is that the instructions and illustrations leave too much room for guess work. I'm sure these folks make enough money to put a better manual together, or, better yet, an online video demo for each grill. C'mon people this is 2010 already, utilize the technology!!

As mentioned before, there are (3) lock-washers for this grill. One goes on each of the damper vents (there are two), and the other one goes on the latch to keep the drawer from opening.

The bottom rack should be assembled after you've put both legs together. Once that's done, then place the rack on top and line up the downward hooks of the rack with the holes in the legs, now stand the legs up (very important step).

The little black hooks (they look like question marks), can be hand-screwed into the wood panels for the side-rack, they've made starter holes on the bottom of these already so they go in easily.

Finally, that heavy lil black thing (made of cast-iron too) that looks sorta like an "S" with the strap on it, that's for picking up the cast-iron grates when they are hot.

Additionally, the drawer grate, as pointed out, surprisingly, in the illustration, is for wood-chips only. So, I'm assuming that you place the charcoals in the drawer itself, and use the grate only when you want to add wood-chips. I'd would suggest lining the drawer with heavy-duty aluminum foil (before each use) to add to it's longevity.

I'll also like to add, that since this grill comes with "cast-iron" grates instead of the usual chrome, steel or metal grates found on MOST other grills, that you should be very careful in how you place your charcoals. Because cast-iron retains heat extremely well, this grill WILL cook your food very fast, and unless you're intentionally trying to sear some kind of meat, I'd suggest putting a small amount of charcoals off to one side of the bottom grate to establish an indirect method of grilling. Trust me, it works VERY WELL!! :)

5.0 out of 5 stars Not the first review of this, August 2, 2006
This review is from: Char-Griller 1515 Patio Pro Model Grill (Lawn & Patio)
This is the bomb. The instructions for assembly are poor but well worth the effort. Once you see the quality of it you'll understand. Cast iron grates that need to be seasoned will last a lifetime and beyond.

3.0 out of 5 stars You'd better be an "Assembly Pro", August 1, 2007
M. E. L. (Santa Fe, NM) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Char-Griller 1515 Patio Pro Model Grill (Lawn & Patio)
The grill itself performs well, once you figure out how to put it together (and I'm a retired architect). The manual is in chinglish, and there are MANY loose parts.... some incorrectly identified. Assembly required half a day. One of the wheel hubs came broken, so one wheel is now held on with a large rubber band. Since it was made in China, I despair of getting a replacement, and I'm certainly not going to take it apart and send it back at this point! (the wheel is one of the last things to go on.)

5.0 out of 5 stars A few more assembly tips for this Rockin Little Grill, March 15, 2013
Ricky McG (Atlanta, GA USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Char-Griller 1515 Patio Pro Model Grill (Lawn & Patio)
This little baby was delivered in one day via Prime. I was so excited, I started putting it together late last night, went to bed and finished it before sunrise. It is, by far, the most adorable (my wife's words) and functional little grill I've ever seen. Very practical. Very small. Just perfect for our needs. I've yet to cook on it, but, considering it's just a steel drum on wheels with some vents and cast iron grates (along with an ingenious ash drawer), anything that might go wrong is going to be user error. For the price, I say take the complaints elsewhere.

That said, like many others have experienced, assembling it was a bit trying -- even for me (and I like assembling things). So here are a few tips to help you on your journey:

Tip #1 - be prepared to fight when you attach the leg portions together. The holes in the upper halves are not finished well on the inside, and I had to twist the bottom halves back and forth with a degree of effort to wear down the metal edges and work them past the openings.

Tip #2 - a couple of the other leg screw holes had "hanging chads" on the inside, which kept the screws from pushing all the way through. Easy to solve by pushing the screw in from the other direction first (to break the chads), then putting them in the way you want.

Tip #3 - DON'T tighten any of the base screws until you firmly attach the firebox to the base -- that way you can adjust the base and get it squared up and level.

Tip #4 - A few people have mentioned not getting enough lock washers (two or four short). IMHO, I think that's because THE DIRECTIONS ARE WRONG! They tell you to attach the front and side handles with lock washers. I see absolutely no reason to do that! The bolts already have ridges to grab metal. The lock washers only come into play for the parts that need to turn -- the vents and ash drawer lock (not the handles). That being the case, the three lock washers provided are all you'll need.

Tip #5 - Speaking of directions, it seems like the manufacturer has listened to customer feedback and updated the instructions -- not quite far enough, but pretty darn close. You'll still need to use some deductive reasoning, but that's what beer is for. ;-)

Tip #6 - After completing the work (successfully!), I've come to the conclusion that many of the instructions are still after-thoughts, thrown onto extra paperwork, plastic wrap, the box, etc. It's probably worth your while to inspect everything before you do anything. EX: The box reminds you to remove the plastic film from the logo on the firebox lid. The film itself tells you to do that (although you can't read it). The instructions don't, but another buyer wrote about it... I still forgot. :-)

So that wraps it for me. Right now I'm seasoning the cast iron grates (using Flax Seed oil, per web searches for the best process). Then I'm gonna light it back up and throw on some fish.

Stop by, if you're in the neighborhood! I'm sure we have enough for one more! ;-)

5.0 out of 5 stars Good quality grill for those who prefer charcoal over gas, February 8, 2008
This review is from: Char-Griller 1515 Patio Pro Model Grill (Lawn & Patio)
I wanted a grill with a strong metal body and most of all that was easy to remove the ashes out of. The slide out drawer makes dumping out the ashes a quick and easy task. Plus the cast iron cooking grates are excellent (be sure to season them as per the instructions prior to cooking on them). I would say if you are looking for small grill with exceptional quality for the price, then look no further. This grill is just the right size for my wife and I and even about four more. It will hold six steaks max., but I have a larger grill for bigger cookouts. Now comes with good instructions on how to assemble. This grill is a cut above those discount store grills for about the same or less money.

4.0 out of 5 stars Cool Little Dude, May 8, 2009
This review is from: Char-Griller 1515 Patio Pro Model Grill (Lawn & Patio)
As others have complained, the instructions are lousey. But does anything come with good instructions these days? I assembled mine in about 2 hours,(that was with a beer in one hand) The parts list quantities do not coincide with the actual amount of nuts, bolts and washers that you will need, but don't fret!, there will probably be enough to do the job. I made 2 mistakes that I will let you in on. #1 Be sure to connect the bottom wire shelf to the leg assembies before you connect the legs to the barrel, and #2, a common sense thing that I missed, attatch the wheels BEFORE you assemble the legs. This makes it much easier and then be sure to put on a washer next to the wheels before you put the cotter pin and wheel cap on.
Now the good part. Let's BBQ ! This is almost a perfect design. My only complaint is that the lid is too small. This makes it difficult to flip food on the back of the grill without hitting the top of the barrel. With all of my gripes out of the way Let's talk possitives. This cast iron grill business is new to me. I seasoned my grill plates twice with vegtable oil. Once, when I did a dry run with charcol and another at 250 degrees in the oven for a couple of hours. When I finally got to grilling, the food actually slides on the grill! No more wire brush. When I was finished cooking the grates were practically clean! And and the beautiful thick lines that sear onto the meat are picture perfect.
The slide-out coal tray coal tray is Genius! You don't have to touch the grills to empty ashes, or start your fire!
I really like this little grill. I have a large barrel style smoker which I will continue to use for larger gatherings, but for 2 to 4 normal people this is just the right size.

4.0 out of 5 stars great product for the money, August 5, 2007
This review is from: Char-Griller 1515 Patio Pro Model Grill (Lawn & Patio)
We wanted a small charcoil (not gas) grill and after exensive research we got Char-Griller Patio Pro Model. Arrived quickly and was relatively easy to put together (although the instructions were not extremely helpful).
It only takes a handfull of briquets and about 30 min to have it ready for cooking. I only wish you could adjust the height of the grates (that's why I'd gave it 4.5 stars instead of 5) but is not a big deal. Incredibly easy to clean. We use it now at least 1-2 times a week and have a great meal for 4-6 in no time.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Grill for medium range activities, February 9, 2008
This review is from: Char-Griller 1515 Patio Pro Model Grill (Lawn & Patio)
This is an excellent grill for small or medium size family. Doesn't require a huge pile of coal. I have used it for about 5 times since I bought, very easy to clean ash.
It's heavy duty and provides excellent temperature control.
The only issue is the assembly, where the instructions are not well written. If the company can provide better document to do that then it's a six star grill.

Char-Griller 1515 Patio Pro Model Grill