4.0 out of 5 stars Great Grill for little $$$$!
I've done plenty of research and seen many grills before picking the 'Char-Griller Pro 3001'. I think if you really want a solid grill that lasts forever, get a Weber. For me paying $700+ for a similar Weber isn't an option. You also should beware of the inexpensive stainless steel grills (anything under $400). Their not stainless, the metal is thin & flimsy and they...
Published on June 29, 2009 by givemerock

2.0 out of 5 stars get what you pay for.
Originally bought from Lowes. Had no trouble assembly, but instructions were not good. Having assembled a few grills in the past sort of know how things went together. The grill cooked well and everything was easy to regulate etc. The sheet metal that formed the base was bent in one area but I made it work...this metal was very thin and it showed it when the full...
Published on December 7, 2011 by J. Saenz

‹ Previous | 1 2 326 | Next ›

2.0 out of 5 stars Grillin Pro 3001 at 3 years old, May 3, 2013
This review is from: Char-Griller 3001 Grillin' Pro 40,800-BTU Gas Grill (Lawn & Patio)
Purchased 3 yrs ago. Always been stored and used under patio roof. Everything still works (yes, even the igniters!!) I like this unit except... in spite of being sheltered and used only twice a month on average, the flames shields and their mounting brakets are crumbling already. Replacing these parts will run about $100.00. It would be nice to get more than 3 years service from a $200.00++ product. True, I've had similar issues with other bbqs but my previous one lasted over 5 yrs. And why are these basic relacement parts so expensive?

4.0 out of 5 stars Good for the money, June 15, 2009
Eric Nagel (Buffalo, NY USA) - See all my reviews
I also paid $189 for this grill at Lowe's. Having it pre-assembled at no additional cost was really nice. It's a good grill, but missing some features I liked on my old grill (even if I didn't know they were there)

First, the cooking grate is 3 separate pieces. I preferred the single piece of my old grill. I see myself losing some food down there in the future.

My biggest complaint is there's no lip on the back of the grates, so when I try to slide under a burger, if I end up pushing the burger back, there's nothing to stop it. I have to be very careful when lifting those rear burgers.

My old grill had some spaces that I was used to hanging my tongs off of, which are all closed up on this grill. A minor annoyance, but frustrating when I was cooking last night.

I feel the side burner is just a novelty, and unless you have a table nearby, you'll need both sides of the grill to hold your plates and grilling utensils.

For $189, this is a good grill. However, knowing the grate is in 3 pieces and there's no lip on the back, I would've looked for something else.

5.0 out of 5 stars Smokin deal.........................at Lowe's, June 3, 2009
I actually paid $189 for this grill at Lowe's, and it is a great grill.
I cooked 15 burgers, and 8 brats in about 15 mins.

4.0 out of 5 stars GREEEEAT Grill.....IF the price is right (Updated), June 16, 2012
Ted L. (Manasass, VA) - See all my reviews
[Edit 09/13: I took one star away from the grill, leaving it at 4 stars. After close to two years of frequent use, the ignitor stopped working (NOT THE BATTERY) and the grill lid has began to rust (minor). I could replace the ignitor for $25, but I just keep a long lighter next to grill. The rust on the grill is currently pretty minor, and I'll probably sand off the loose paint/rust and re-coat with some hi-temp paint. I'll probably keep the grill for another year or two since it does actually cook food pretty well. But the bottom line is that I'm going to upgrade to a weber. I would have like to have bought a weber to begin with, but at the time of purchase, I didn't have $400+ to spend.
Honestly, I've come to a point where I view a grill as large kitchen appliance. Seeing as how I cook on the grill 2-3 times per week, I can justify spending as much on a grill as I would on a kitchen range. I wouldn't buy a $200 range. So I shouldn't buy a $200 grill either. But thats just my personal philosphy. Sorry for the additional ramble.]

First off, this grill can be had for $160ish at the local big box. Amazon often sell it for $199 w/ free shipping. Given the quality and performane of this grill, $199 shipped is reasonable. However the current (ao 06/2012) $250 asking price from the Amazon affiliate is laughable. You might as well pay the extra $50 for a Weber.
With that said, I got my Chargriller from Lowes for $150. I upgraded from a $99 no-name grill. [Word of advice: Don't buy $99 gas grills!! Uneven heating, poor quality, gas leaks, and other forms of endless frustration].

The chargriller is everything I needed and wanted in a gas grill. The three burner set-up works well. I use high heat for most of my cooking and this grill gets HOTTTT!! Even better, the temperature among the entire (very large, cast iron) cooking surface stays fairly consistent. You DO need to get to know the grill though as certain spots do get SLIGHTLY hotter than others. Easy to work around once you know where they are. Experiment with hamburgers and hot dogs immediately after purchase.

I do occasionally like to use low, indirect heat for pulled pork or brisket. No problem here. I set the far right burner on low heat and the grill maintains a nice, easy *250.

The side burner is also a nice feature. I honestly didn't think I'd use it too often, if at all. As it turns out, I use it regularly. I make a lot of fajitas, and the side burner is a great place to sautee the veggies in a skillet.

Nice features:
Side prep table- Its kinda small, but sees plenty of use. There are hooks mounted on the side table to hang the included grate lifting tool or cooking utensils.

Side Burner- See above

Lid mounted Thermometer- Mine reads about *15 high. Not really an appreciable discrepancy in my world. Good n'uff.

Cast Iron Grate- Pretty thick and heavy. Nice quality. Puts beautiful grill marks on the meat. Easy enough to clean and resists sticking when properly oiled/seasoned.

Cooking Surface- As mentioned, cast iron. MORE than large enough for most average joe applications. I rarely use more than 50% of the cooking area to feed my family of five.

Three Burners- I use the left and center burners simultaneously for about 75% of my cooking. I don't use the right burner very often, but its nice to have when I need it. See above comment about indirect cooking. The burners offer incredibly high heat but can be toned down to medium-high and low heat fairly easy. A "true" medium flame is hard to dial-in on my grill. It seems to go from med-hi and directly to low. Higher-end grills seem to work better in this regard, but a premium price will need to be paid.

Easyish assembly- I've had the grill for several months now, but I don't remember it being too terribly hard to assemble.

Availability of accessories: Rotisserie spindles, side grill/smoke boxes, covers, etc are offered for this grill. I bought a factory cover for my grill for $20. Works/fits great.

What could this grill use??:
Smoke Box- Some higher-end grills have a small, integrated tray which allows wood chips to be smoldered while cooking. I simply drilled a few holes in a metal pencil box and place it directly on the grill when cooking.You can also lightly wrap wood chips in tin foil and place it on the grill too with the same effect. Either works fine.
I personally like using hickory chips, but mesquite and apple are widely appreciated too.

Bottom line is that I'm thrilled with this product. I was tempted to buy a $300-400 Weber. I'm sure I would've loved the Weber, possibly even more than the Chargriller. BUT, the Chargriller fit into my budget a lot better and has consistently exceeded my needs and expectations for performance, features, and quality.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great value BBQ, cooks great!, October 5, 2013
Kyle Peterson (Rancho Cucamonga) - See all my reviews
So far, so good. Wanted to get a sub-$200 BBQ to serve as a stand-in until we got a built-in BBQ island at our new home. This BBQ is sturdy, feels like it is made of heavy-duty materials, and heats up and cooks great. In fact, the materials that make up this $165 BBQ are of a thicker gauge than my old $400 Kenmore BBQ. This thing is solid.
I've used it 4 times and it seems like the heat is evenly distributed, with out any dead spots. Assembly was ok. I was watching a movie while assembling, so it didn't bother me that it took about 2 hours. Instructions could have been a little more clear about orientation of some of the pieces, but I figured it out through the trial & error method. In all, a great value BBQ.

5.0 out of 5 stars Have been using the grill for a year now, it is fabulous., June 5, 2013
This is the one you want! The key to a really good grill is to make sure that all the surface will heat equally and evenly, some grills do not have the flames arranged for this to occur. And some grills simply do not have enough places with flames for the grill to ever be able to have an all over surface temp, in other words you will get hot and cold spots. It is easy to determine if a grill meets the criteria. Simply remove the grill plates ( or in this case, review pictures carefully) and examine how many flame jets there are, if the jets extend close enough to the other jets and outward enough to provide that even, equal heat over the whole surface area. This grill meets the criteria perfectly. This grill is dependable and provides the perfect cooking results time after time. Assembly was no problem, I did have to use the instructions in a couple of places though.

2.0 out of 5 stars Rusted out after two seasons, March 17, 2013
T-Racer (Dublin, Ohio) - See all my reviews
Worked great for the first season. Heats up very quickly and got very hot. Season two, the grates were falling through due to rusty edge of the base, as were the covers over the burners. I junked it already and bought a Weber Genesis. As another put it, "You get what you pay for." Basically, it is a flimsy Chinese, disposable gas grill.

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice grill for the money., May 17, 2010
We recently purchased this grill from a local home improvement store for $189 and I am impressed with it. It seems to be well made and has some nice features such as the side burner, all-metal parts except for the wheels and knobs, and an electric starter for the main burners. The grill has a three piece porcelain coated grate, which is really nice for cleaning purposes because a large single grate can be somewhat difficult to tote around and clean in the sink. If you normally grill small amounts of food like my wife and I do, I can just cook on one section, pop out that single grate, and the other two stay in the grill. Probably what I like about this is the amount of heat it puts out. After putting it together, I turned on all three burners and let it run for a few minutes to burn off any oil left on the grill. It was showing almost 700 degrees in less than 10 minutes and that was with the two chimneys on top. I have not used the side burner, but it looks plenty powerful enough to do some decent cooking such as heating up beans or boiling corn. The side shelf is very sturdy and has hooks for hanging grilling tools. The LP tank is smartly placed on the wheel side, which makes moving the grill much easier and the tank is held securely with a long screw that extends through the holes in the bottom ring of the tank. It has a nice warming rack that stays secure, and has the capability to have other accessories added including a rotisserie.

I saw some reviews online that complained the grill is hard to put together, but I had no trouble. With minimal help from my wife to help line up holes, we had it put together in less than an hour using a screwdriver and an adjustable wrench. It would be quite a bit more difficult to do by yourself, but could be done.

As far as complaints, I really only have a couple. First, some of the metal parts were bent a little bit out of the box. This may be a result of handling after it left the factory, but I don't think so. The problem was minor and not noticeable after assembly. Second, the grill is made in China, which is just a personal gripe and not necessarily a dig at the product itself.

Overall, we are both happy with the purchase, especially considering it came in at less than $200. Yes, a Weber would be a much better grill, but it will also cost you more than twice the price. With minimal maintenance such as cleaning it and keeping the rust off, it should last many years.

1.0 out of 5 stars Terrible design and quality, June 30, 2014
My father bought this grill in the fall for what he thought was a good deal. I didn't get around to assembling until a few weeks ago. He thought he was buying a Char-Broil, but this is clearly a Chinese impersonation. It was clearly both designed and manufactured in China, or at least Asia. The instruction were terrible. The design is equally awful. It caught on fire on the third use...luckily my mother was not standing nearby, and she was able to shut off the gas before it became a bigger problem.

Amazon agreed to give credit, because Amazon is awesome. Save yourself the time and effort. Spend a little more money on quality and buy something better.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Grill - once it's put together, June 15, 2010
After seeing so many stainless steel grills begin looking nasty after the first year, I did some hard looking through Amazon reviews to find this grill. And with a few exceptions, I'm not disappointed.

First the good:
The grill is very heavy and very stable. I've used it extensively for a month without cleaning out the bottom - including hosting our housewarming party where I cooked numerous burgers and brats - and I can't say that I've had the fire issue others have mentioned. The grease seems to drain into the grease bowl pretty well. The fire is hot, flare ups are kept to a minimum, and the temperature is very even accross the entire grill.

The bad:
1. Make sure you buy a cover. I'm not sure if this is normal or not, but after the first rain, the igniter went out. Additionally, mist is getting into the thermometer. No need to buy the official grill cover for this though.
2. The box is heavy. As such, when my grill was delivered, soem of the parts were bent.
3. Worst of all, the instructions for assembly of this grill are horrible. If you do buy the grill, make sure you're good at putting things together. Additionally, they don't tell you what direction to put many of the parts on, so make sure you read multiple steps ahead to ensure you are putting things together properly. Throughout the first 10 steps, there were at least two occasions wher eI had to take things apart and rebuild them due to the instructions not telling me which way to put the item.

As far as customer service goes, I can't complain. I called to ask for a replacement igniter module as well as two pieces I had to break to take the grill apart rebuild it, and they are sending them. Don't ask for support via email though...I'm still waiting for a response to that.

Would I buy this grill again? Well, I'm not afraid of doing work to get a good value...so I would. I am quite handy and do most of my own work around the house, yet if I would've known the headache of assembling this grill, I probably would've tried to find it in stock at a store and had them assemble it.

‹ Previous | 1 2 326 | Next ›