5.0 out of 5 stars Mike who?
Published on December 28, 2007 by G. Ribal

3.0 out of 5 stars We love Huckabee - the book was very informative
We love Huckabee - the book was very informative!
Published 4 months ago by same

5.0 out of 5 stars Mike who?, December 28, 2007
This review is from: Character Makes a Difference: Where I'm From, Where I've Been, and What I Believe (Paperback)
I have to admit that I did not know much about Mike Huckabee until recently. Mike's book is a great insight into the man and his thoughts. The book was written years before he became a presidential candidate - so it is a great source for understanding who Mike is and where he is coming from. I highly recommend reading the book so you can be a better informed voter - but even if Mike was not running for public office, the book is worth reading because of the wisdom that Mike shares.

5.0 out of 5 stars Everyone in America should read this book, January 27, 2008
This book is very well written and comes across as sincerely from the heart. It's a great perspective at an event in recent history where you can hear "the rest of the story", or at least the behind the scenes part. Mike Huckabee just comes across as that guy we've all been searching for who embodies the values missing in our present society and spotlight today. If the phonecall from God dosn't push you off the fence, Character Makes a Difference will.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Insight into A Man of Character, November 24, 2007
Great insight into the life of a man in the spotlight. Being in the spotlight brings out character. Mike is very transparent and humorous as an author. His humble beginning and his strong Christian values have greatly influenced his decisionmaking and impact on politics in Arkansas as evidenced in this interesting and thought provoking book. Character Makes A Difference gives an insightful look into the life of a key actor in today's political arena.

5.0 out of 5 stars A real compassionate conservative, March 6, 2008
First let me say I'm a Democrat who was raised by social-conservative Republican parents in Texas. That being said I didn't know what to expect when I picked up this book last year, but I was half expecting a self-serving bit of prose from a man who was expecting to run for the presidency the following year. But, with summer reading largely consisting of romance novels and cookbooks, I thought I'd give this one a try. I'm glad I did.

Governor Huckabee doesn't pull any punches in telling you where he came from. He embraces his religious roots, talks about his human weaknesses as well as his strengths, and talks openly about the political bickering that goes on in churches and how exposure to such an atmosphere prepared him for a career in politics. Due to his humble beginnings he has a real empathy for the little guy. I think that's why he scared so many neocons when he had some early success in the Republican primaries. A REAL compassionate conservative??? The national Republican party can have none of that! A FAIR tax??? Life isn't supposed to be fair unless you're a CEO!

Mr. Huckabee could be the future of the Republican party given his natural likability and gift for oratory. However, his religious views will no doubt scare off the secular Northeast and West Coast. I'm sure he realizes that, yet he doesn't shrink from his background nonetheless, which is a sign of character in itself. Compare this to Mitt Romney, the blow-dried poll-tested candidate who went down in flames. If you've wondered just what makes Mr. Huckabee tick, try this book. I think you'll come away admiring him regardless of whether or not you agree with his legislative goals.

5.0 out of 5 stars Making a difference with proven character, September 9, 2007
Mike Huckabee has such a unique combination of quick wit, intelligence, patience and proven leadership qualities. He has, as Governor of Arkansas, a predominately Democrat state, been able to work through political differences and actually MAKE A DIFFERENCE. What an outstanding man. "Character" not only describes Gov. Huckabee's personal and political life, it inspires ALL OF US to go forth and do likewise. Please, if you don't usually read "political" books (especially from another perspective) - give this one a try. He's genuine.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Book, Great Author!, July 4, 2007
This a great book written by a great man and Republican Presidential Candidate! If you want to know about the great character that motivates Mike Huckabee buy this book.
He writes about his ascension from the pulpit to the Arkansas Capitol. He talks about the people who influenced him throughout his life.

5.0 out of 5 stars History Repeats Itself, June 27, 2009
This is America's eleventh hour! Our democracy is morally, politically, and economically bankrupt.

I suggest we stop hiding behind "trashy best-sellers" and pore over Mike Huckabee's book. If for no other reason, at least to grasp a sense of ominous reality and sobering history.

As a former Cuban refugee (50 years ago) I see so many similarities between my former country before Castro's revolution and the US today, that sometimes I think I'm re-living a nightmare.

Andrew J. Rodriguez
Award-winning author: "Adios, Havana," a Memoir

4.0 out of 5 stars Beyond the Politics, March 23, 2008
Governor Huckabee seemed to have come out of nowhere during the campaign season, to have won Iowa in the Republican Primary. Sometimes that success gets credited to the media (or even to Steven Colbert, Conan O'Brian, and others whose shows he frequented- and who jokingly fought over who "created the Huckabee phenomenon"), but after reading this autobiography on Mike Huckabee, you will understand how he got where he is, why he won Iowa, and how he would lead. It is obvious from reading this autobiography and learning where Governor Huckabee comes from, that he will continue to be a major player in politics.

4.0 out of 5 stars One for Two Formula Books Included in My Four-Book Look, January 5, 2008
I bought four of Governor Huckabee's books, and spent much of Sunday going through them. I've decided to do one review posted four times, to provide anyone visiting one of the four books to see four snapshots in one place. I am NOT looking for multiple votes. This is my bottom-line over-all assessment of one of the three people I believe is qualified to b;ring our Nation together, the others being Senator Obama, and Representative Paul, who will not win but could demand electoral reform when Congress returns. The two formula books lose one star each but in no way does this discredit the substance within each.

1998, Kids Who Kill: Confronting Our Culture of Violence is his first book and also the most earnest. I like this book, very much. The Governor weaves a rich tapesty of a culture of disrespect, too many bad laws, not enough community and faith, and I for one buy into his message: our society has fragmented and we reap what we sow. See also my reviews of:
Rage of the Random Actor: Disarming Catastrophic Acts And Restoring Lives
The Cheating Culture: Why More Americans Are Doing Wrong to Get Ahead

2000, Living Beyond Your Lifetime: How to be Intentional About the Legacy You Leave. I find this book equally earnest, with a very strong consistent appreciation for God and faith and community in faith, for stewardship. Like the first book, I give this one five stars. I now include this book with other positive books on religion, see my reviews of:
GOD'S POLITICS: Why The Right Gets It Wrong & The Left Doesn't Get It (H)
The Left Hand of God: Taking Back Our Country from the Religious Right
Faith-Based Diplomacy: Trumping Realpolitik

2007 this book, and 2007 From Hope to Higher Ground: My Vision for Restoring America's Greatness are both formula books, somewhat contrived, but earnest and sufficient to come to at least two conclusions:

1) This citizen is not going to let go of God or faith. He is completely different from Milt Romney, whom I consider to be just a little too slick about his Mormon loyalties (CIA officers who were Mormons would fall asleep at their desks because the Mormon church had them up working all night).

2) This is a sincere good man (I based this on seeing him elsewhere as well). I frankly think that he brings the right respect for faith and God, and we need some of that in the White House, not lies and treason documented in Tempting Faith: An Inside Story of Political Seduction and American Fascists: The Christian Right and the War On America. As an estranged moderate Republican and Methodist, outrages by the crimes committed in our name, I think its time we had a moderate faith in God back in the White House.

The latter book touches on various "mandate for change" issues, and one has to be somewhat dubious on his record, since more than one person from Arkansas has told me they lost income and the schools lost funding during his tenure.

We need change. I'd like to see Mike Huckabee lead a dialog with all congregations on God's Politics, the Left Hand of God, and Faith-Based Golden Rule morality in all our policies at all levels. Barack Obama is energizing the young, but still severely handicapped by his elderly advisors who are out of touch with global reality.

In my view, as a person who cares deeply about the Republic and has spent the last 15 years obsessing on global reality and a strategy for saving the Earth for seven generations and beyond, I would like to see Mike Huckabee being the evangelicals back into the fold, without the attendant lunacy and criminality that characterized the Bush-Cheney White House.

Please do not vote for this review in more than one place.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, July 5, 2014