Your Garage botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it PME Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer WienerDog WienerDog WienerDog  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis Segway miniPro

on October 20, 2007
This is truely a must have for everyone! It opens doors on the art that charcuterie is. Michael Ruhlman is truely on of the great food writers of our generation and with the help of Brian Polcyn he brings us this great book. If you have any interst in things like meat emulsions, bacon, or confit this is the book for you. I give it only four stars because there are very few pictures and I would love for this book to be more visual. Overall a truely awsome book a must have!
on November 7, 2010
I ordered this book on a whim because I was curious how to make sausage links. Turns out this was an excellent purchase as this books also teaches you how to make bacon, the different types of curing (smoking, dry cure, wet cure, etc.) and how to stuff sausages without buying an expensive machine. I have already made a batch of Mexican (non-cured) Chorizo and have bacon curing in my refrigerator. This is an excellent book for anyone who wants to learn to make cured meats, fresh sausages, or anything in between.
on January 21, 2011
The instructions were detailed, easy to understand and fun to read. Very helpful aid for those who want to try their hand at curing meats and smoking foods. Very detailed instructions for home made sausages. More "down home" recipes would have been welcome, but for those whose interests lay in exotic or fancy dishes, this is the book for them. I thoroughly enjoy reading this book over and over since I learn something new each time. Try making your own bacon, it's super!
on January 18, 2007
For those who want to learn about curing meats, there is no better introduction. It begins with the basics, such as making fresh bacon, and then expands its scope to smoking, making sausages, both fresh and dried. For those who would like to try their hand at producing these products at home, this book will provide the know-how to get you started. Highly recommended.
on December 27, 2010
This item was purchased for Christmas by my oldest son, for my fiance, from my wish list. My fiance is the chef in our home and loves to grill, smoke, preserve, and cook. He didn't put the book down all weekend now, and is dying to try a lot of the recipies in the book. There are a lot of resources in the book for cultures and seasonings. He will be making a lot of sausages and yummy treats for us all to enjoy. I highly recommend this book!
on December 3, 2010
We actually rented this from the library and was so in love that we had to buy this one for ourselves. So far we have made 2 batches of bacon, 2 batches of sausage, duck confit, and one duck proscuitto. The book it really well written with easy to follow instructions and illustrations. If you enjoy taking the culinary long way around, this is a great book for you. Just be prepared to want to turn everything in to bacon.
on January 19, 2011
Almost done reading this book -- great, easy read. Very detailed. Reputable, accomplished authors -- one knows one is getting instruction from some of THE best in the country. Beautiful line drawings -- which leads me to my only complaint -- it would be great if there were photos (although they are not necessary). Easy-to-follow instructions for all the traditional recipes. (I have not yet tried any of them yet).
on February 10, 2011
I am a professional chef, and within two weeks of recieving this book I have made two types of bacon, pancetta, venison sausage, duck prosciutto and chicken sausage. Usually when I buy a cookbook, I just get some inspiration and use very few recipies, but this has been inspiring, and a great refresher for me.
on August 29, 2007
I'm a home cook that just likes to "play" with food. Hadn't done much with sausage, etc. until this book. We even purchased a copy as a gift to a friend. We are both cooking our way thru the book. The best part isn't the recipes (they are good) but all the knowledge that is in those covers. We are learning as we go and that's important to us.
on November 14, 2009
This is not a cookbook, the book has great stories as well as recipes but most of all it teaches you the craft of curing your own meats at home. Most of the techniques are done with equipment you already have at home or could easily attain. It's written in a way that makes it easy to read cover to cover as a novel.