A Charge to Keep
Format: HardcoverChange
Price:$20.70 + Free shipping with Amazon Prime

on November 29, 1999
Format: Hardcover
After hearing so many positive things about George W. Bush, I decided to find out if this man is for real. This book confirms that George W. Bush is a compassionate conservative, committed to helping Americans succeed. After reading this book, I feel as if I know him personally. He is passionate and fervently fights for what he believes in. I highly recommend this book for every voter in America in order to personally get to know George W. Bush.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on September 25, 2001
Format: Hardcover
I read the other reviews and thought I should post my own. One review griped about the "shallowness" of the book. Come on, He isn't William Faulkner. It was a completely readable and enjoyable book. I was wavering on whether to vote for him or not last year (I would have chosen a third party candidate) until I read this book. I saw a man that has strong convictions. He is not influenced solely by the opinion polls. He will do our nation proud as its president. I am glad that I read this book and have been his supporter. I will continue to do so.
on March 24, 2001
Format: Paperback
I located a hard copy of this book and decided to just hear what the then Gov. Bush had to say. It was a few months after the rollercoaster of the presidential election.
To be honest, I can't figure out why this book has received such low ratings. I went into the book with an open mind (I was one of those who were on the fence this past election and opted for who I thought was the best man). I had concerns on some of the views and stances Mr. Bush took as Gov. of Texas.
I found this book extremely easy to read and follow. It was almost like spending a weekend in conversation with someone while touching a vast array of topics in getting to understand the person. It was rather enjoyable, especially if you embarked on reading this with an open mind. I have read far worse and/or "dry" books.
I suggest if you would can open this book with an open mind and would like to hear President Bush's thoughts, rational and stances that the reader could come out with more insight to George W. I don't think the book itself would have swayed me during the election but I appreciate the openness of discussing various topics. On hindsight, maybe had I been open enough to have read the book, I would have had an easier time making my presidential decision this past election.
To me, this book deserved a three plus star rating but I have no qualms recommending it to interested readers and giving it a four star rating, in my opinion.
on February 12, 2001
Format: Paperback
George W. Bush demonstrates that the lessons learned as a son of a 'blue blood' family, one who has stumbled and recovered, and a business man are important in true leadership. Clearly few had to work so hard to address the raw bias that exists, including the host of adverse book reviews cited here (note the states of orgin!). But this book serves well as a navigational map of where George W will lead the country. Full of substance and inspiration
on August 21, 2010
Format: PaperbackVerified Purchase
This book is phenomenal! I came across this best seller for the first time while trying to secure a copy of what I thought would be George W. Bush's first book, being released later this year. In the end, I was glad not to have read it when it first came out because now I have an opportunity to read without wondering whether the author really meant his words, or was simply painting a convenient picture so as to influence the reader with deceit.

Every American that cares about truth and about being fair should read this book. In A Charge to Keep, our 43rd President shares the road and set of values that took him to hold office as the 43rd President of the United States. You will learn about the principles that guide him, such as honesty, persistence, fairness, as well as his ups and downs in business ventures and much more. All this is presented with a frank, fresh sense of humor that will have you not wanting to put this book down for a minute and laughing to your enjoyment while being inspired by President Bush's view of himself and others.

Having held President Bush in the highest regard since I first heard him laying down his vision for America, and saw that straight-forward look on his face, so uniquely his, I still didn't have a factual, from-the-horse's-mouth understanding of him, just my feelings and perceptions. A Charge to Keep gave me the factual insight I was missing.

In a Charge to Keep you will find that there was always a deep conviction behind his decisions and policies. I gathered that his recognition of the dignity in every individual is what guides everything that he does. Standing by policies that encouraged that dignity to the forefront was his way of making us all aware that we all have something to contribute as individuals and should therefore put that something to work for the common good.

In sum, this book is full of personal and political stories through which you will be able to capture a clearly honest picture of the world as he sees it. In the end, you will be sad to know that you have reached the last page. But then, right there, there is a big surprise, something that will keep you thinking and reflecting, putting the mirror right in front of you--Can't tell you what it is, though. Go and find out for yourself. A Charge to Keep is at the top of a list of books to pass on to my beloved nephew as part of a character-building inheritance for him to treasure.

I am one of many Americans who agree with the President's decision to invade Iraq and also believe we are better, safer, because of it. You don't like Mahmoud Ahmadinejad's menacing speeches against Israel? Well, I didn't like Hussein's menacing threats, and attacks on his neighbors and his own people year in and out. We paid a costly price for it, but we did it under his leadership and children being born in Iraq these days have a better chance to live a decent life in freedom.

When some political strategists dare to ask, "Do you want us to go back to the Bush years?" hoping that the mindless and ill-conceived noise that existed around us towards the end of 2007 still cloud our good judgment, my immediate response is, "Yes, please do let me." Please do take me back to the time when there was a fragance of dignity in the air, a pursuit of what was good and right, of hope, of expectation from the individual to put their dignifying worth at work, to contribute, to be part of something dignifying. I do remember the Bush years. I do remember how he kept the economy going during time of war, in spite of us being attacked in our own land, his leadership got us through much better off than any other celebrated leaders. He was a man for history. History was what he made; the good kind, that is.

If you are one of those people who may not have honestly agreed with President Bush, or have not heard much good about him, and perhaps have jumped in the "I hate Bush" wagon for the fun of it, without giving it much thought or study, I suggest that you get off the wagon, read A Charge to Keep and reconsider whether with a just heart you deem it appropriate to get back on the wagon. I do believe that you will end up walking firmly with your own two feet instead, on the road dictated by your own judgment.

We all should celebrate each other's dignity and I don't think we have been fair to President Bush in this regard. So, read A Charge to Keep and get to know the man I so highly respect to call my living hero. You don't have to call him so, but after reading this book, I am sure you will be inspired and remember what we had during the Bush years and proudly ask for more. Go and find out what our 43rd President is doing these days and you will find the same man, trying to keep his charge, as we all should be doing along with him.
66 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on December 15, 1999
Format: Hardcover
I found this book to be very insightful. The media is limited to only a minute or two in all of its reports on the race for the White House. You can not gain a true understanding of who these men are, who are campaigning by simply turning on the television. That's where this book comes in. I enjoyed this simple text and recommend it to anyone who wants to find out more about George W. Bush - the person. He reveals what items are of most importance to him and he offers some suggestions to the problems facing America today. Whether you are already a Bush supporter or not, this book will at least educate you to what is on the mind of the Texas governor.
on February 9, 2002
Format: Hardcover
This is the best autobiography from George Bush I've ever read. It clearly shows Bush's side of his struggles with Alchoholism, Cocaine abuse and Business failure. His surprisingly fresh sense of humor neatly balances his harrowing accounts of the action and bloodshed in Vietnam that he witnessed on T.V. while safe at home in the National Gaurd where he trained to fly out-moded jets. George is a hero for our age. Who better to represent our country in it's declinig years than an illegitimate "president" with a third-graders grasp of our world. God DOES have a sense of humor.
on January 11, 2000
Format: Hardcover
This is not a monumental piece of literature, but it was not writen to change the world. The books job was to tell the people who George W. Bush is, and it accomplished this job very well! It covers his life from childhood to today. And most importaintly, is clearly states his political beliefs and convictions, so you KNOW the man well when you finish. No psychobabble, no theories, just cold, hard facts on the content of his character. By the way, conserning his "Jesus Christ" answer as his favorite philosopher in the debate...if you think that a part, even a very small part, of that answer was political positioning, you NEED to get this book! This is not a boaring preachy read, just a good man shareing his past and present self, as well as his optimistic view of the future.
Format: Hardcover
In this book, President George W. Bush describes his remarkable early life and subsequent rise to the most powerful position on earth.

The book begins with Bush's idyllic early childhood in Texas, and the remarkable story of how he personally discovered his father's first oil well in the Perm Basin by devising a simplified scent technique to smell surface fossil fuel particles in the dessert. In addition to providing the Bush family with it's first oil fortune, this discovery landed the youthful Bush a Nobel prize making him the youngest recipient ever of the world's most prestigious award.

Bush spent the next four years in high school at the prestigious Philips Andover Academy where he was top of his class, four-time varsity baseball and football champion and the youngest president of the local Temperance Union. In this capacity Bush spent evenings and weekends volunteering to lecture children about the perils of drinking. One night after counseling a distraught fourteen-year-old alcoholic, Bush volunteered to undergo the symptoms of alcoholism himself in order to better understand the pain and suffering around him.

Bush spent the next four years at Yale University where he again excelled in all varsity sports and all of his academics. Bush triple majored in public policy, environmental studies, and economics citing these as the great problem areas of our age. Classmates and professors alike already speculated that Bush would make an amazing president.

Immediately after graduating from Yale, Bush joined the navy and volunteered for active duty in Vietnam. After two years of training as a Navy Seal, Bush was deployed in the Hue and Natrang area where he built several schools and numerous roads while simultaneously crushing all Viet Kong resistance in that area. Many of Bush's missions from this time are classified, but he is credited with having rescued John McCain and several other POWs from prison and from having saved the life of future Georgia Senator and triple amputee, Max Cleeland. In 1969 Bush is believed to have undertaken a daring journey up the Mekong River to assassinate North Vietnamese president Ho Chi Minh. While Ho is believed to have died of natural causes, "A Charge to Keep" indicates that Bush personally slew him with a machete before calling in an air strike and then taking Ho's personal papers back to Ohio where his son could read them.

Following the war, Bush attended Harvard Business School where he formulated three new macro economic models and theories of fiscal disbursement, which earned him his second Nobel Prize. Upon graduating from Harvard, Bush turned down requests from both political parties to run for President and instead determined that his father deserved to run first since he was older. In the interests of fairness, however, Bush insisted that other candidates, such as Carter and Reagan should be given a chance first. It was these self-effacing and humbling actions on the part of the nations' most brilliant and accomplished warrior that earned Bush the moniker, "Young Cincinatus" after the Roman general who upon saving his country quietly retired to a life of farming.

Bush spent the next five years touring the United States on a motorcycle in order to really know the American people. During this time, Bush went to every poor household in America to hear the problems of the people, and offer his compassionate conservatism.

His travels were interrupted when he met and married a philanthropist, beauty queen, and successful businesswoman named Laura who bore him twin daughters.

After enrolling his daughters in MENSA, Bush asked the American people to vote for his father for President and was frequently told that "Yes, but only if you run later."

In 1995 when Texas was nearly destroyed by invading lesbian anarchists, Bush quietly repelled the invaders and was immediately elected governor. As governor of Texas, Bush eliminated all pollution, and made Texas the safest, wealthiest, and most crime free state in the union.

In 2000, the American people finally got their wish and elected Bush in a landslide victory. Bush's first act as President was to call forth his terrorist expert Richard Clarke to brief him on a little known threat known as al Quaida. Bush's diligence in this area paid off on September 11th 2001 when he personally commanded anti-terrorist forces that prevented catastrophic terrorist attacks on New York City. Immediately afterwards, the twin towers of the World Trade Center were renamed "W Towers" by a grateful nation.

The most frustrating part of "A Charge to Keep" is that it ends too soon. It does not tell us of how Bush prevented evil dictator Saddam Hussein from launching multiple nuclear weapons against the United States, how he single handedly prevented terrorist attacks from taking place in Saudi Arabia, Madrid, and London, and how he brought the American economy to record surplus and employment levels at an all time high. I am also dying to read about the details of the Iraq military campaign which was personally lead by Bush himself who piloted several missions against Saddam's air force and who personally captured a Platoon of elite Fedayeen fighters.

My guess is that like all good books this one will have a sequel. Hopefully it will be called "A Charge to Continue."
66 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on October 16, 2012
Format: Paperback
A waste of paper...the dishonesty, the media manipulation, the immorality, the application of situational ethics continue in this poor effort to influence the way history will treat his presidency.