Customer Video Review     Length:: 5:24 Mins
Published 12 months ago by M. Erb

3.0 out of 5 stars Nice concept, Prohibitive price
Published 11 months ago by Heidi Anne Heiner

4.0 out of 5 stars Pocket sized Flashlight & Powerbank. Multiple ways to charge it., January 22, 2014
Length:: 7:03 Mins

UPDATE: March 27, 2014 - My original flashlight had an annoying flicker. I notified the company and they replaced my flashlight and I'm happy to say that the replacement does not flicker at all. That flicker was my major complaint with the original flashlight and since the replacement doesn't flicker I'm quite happy with the flashlight. I will leave my original review just in case other people have the flicker issue. If you do, contact the company. Otherwise everything else in my original review holds true. I've also added a new beginning to my video review to address a skeptic who did not believe me when I stated the it can fully charge my iPhone5s and have enough left in the batterypack to give me a partial second charge as well.

In many ways I'm very happy with the NOCO ChargeLight. It's extremely well-made, provides a substantial amount of light and is also a capable powerbank for charging your smartphone, mp3 player or other lower powered devices. It's not really designed with enough capacity to charge an iPad or other larger device. However it has a significant flaw that makes it a deal-breaker for me.

The ChargeLight is nicely packaged and comes with the following accessories:

➢ Dock
➢ Wrist Strap
➢ 40" USB to MicroUSB cable
➢ AC charger with 2.1A output. 100/240V, 50/60Hz

Battery capacity of the ChargeLight is 2600mAh. Depending on the capacity of your Smartphone the ChargeLight may or may not be able to fully charge it. My iPhone5s has 1570mAh battery in it so that provides about 1.5 charges (there is up to a 30% loss of capacity due to the charteristics of Li-ion batteries.

In addition to the powerbank function, it also has a 5 mode flashight:

➢Mode 1- 100% brightness - 250 Lumens - 4 Hrs runtime
➢Mode 2 - 50% brightness - 125 Lumens - 8 Hrs runtime
➢Mode 3 - 10% brightness - 25 Lumens - 72 Hrs runtime
➢Mode 4 - Strobe - 250 Lumens - 120 Hrs runtime
➢Mode 5 - Off

What's really convenient about the ChargeLight are the different ways you can charge it. You can use the provided AC adapter (100-240V, 50/60Hz, 2.1A output), or you can use the charging base. The charging base does double-duty since it also has a USB output port. You can also charge the ChargeLight directly using the provided USB to Micro USB cable. I like using the charging dock simply because it keeps the flashlight charged and also has a USB output to allow me to charge another device. That's great.

The ChargeLight is solid since it is made from a high grade aluminum casing. It's very smooth though and almost feels a little slippery in the hand. I'd prefer a knurling of some sort or rubberized coating that would make it more grippy.

The end of the ChargeLight has a Micro USB port for charging and a 1A USB output for charging another device such as a smartphone or other USB chargeable device.

The top of the ChargeLight has a small power button to turn the powerbank on/off. Above that is an LED indicator that blinks red when the powerbank is being charged.

Charging normally takes about 3 hours depending on the output power of the charging source. The LED also has several modes that help you determine the amount of charge in the battery:
➢ Green = Fully charged
➢ Red = Partially discharged but still able to provide power
➢ Blinking Red = completely discharged

Towards the flashlight end of the ChargeLight is the on/off button for the flashlight. It's a larger sized button. Both buttons are flush with the case and not that easy to accidentally turn on or off but even so, the ChargeLight has an excellent lock feature that will prevent accidentally turning on the flashlight. To activate the lock feature you simply hold both buttons down for 3 seconds. The LED will flash red 3 times to indicate that the lock in enabled. To turn off the lock you simply press the two buttons again for 3 seconds and the LED will flash green 3 times to indicate the lock feature has been disabled. Love this lockout feature because it ensures you won't accidentally discharge your battery during periods of non-use.

I like that the flashlight can stand on its end and also love the fact that because it is square, it won't roll when laid on a less than flat surface.

The deal-breaker for me is that the LED flashlight has an annoying, really annoying, flicker. The flicker is most noticeable at the 10% setting but is very obvious at the 50% setting also. Minimally noticeable at 100% brightness. I own about 10 other tactical LED flashlights. None of them exhibit even a minor amount of flicker at any brightness level so what I am observing in the NOCO is just unacceptable.

Other than fixing the flicker, about the only thing I could wish for is a better indication of the amount of power left in the ChargeLight. As it is right now, You only are given a very imprecise gague of how much power remains.

This is a beautifully designed flashlight/powerbank and the ease of operation, multiple charging options and the lock feature makes this a versatile and useful device to have around. It's a great emergency flashlight that is equally useful around the house, camping or just to throw in the glove box of your vehicle. If only there was no flicker in the LED flashlight this would be a much more appealing device. For now, I'd pass.

I was provided a sample for review.

5.0 out of 5 stars The ChargeLight is one of the best portable chargers I have used, July 16, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
The ChargeLight is one of the best portable chargers I have used. I use it to charge my iPhone and Samsung Tab 3. I haven't had any problems with the ChargeLight and I have been using it for several months.

Pros
- Small and Lightweight, I don't notice it in my purse
- Holds a charge for weeks
- Super bright flashlight with 3 dim modes along with a flashing emergency mode
- Multiple ways to speed recharge: USB, Charging dock
- Can recharge itself while charging another device

Cons
- My son keeps sneaking this away from me for his use

5.0 out of 5 stars Impressive, January 20, 2014
Spudman (Pasadena, MD United States) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 50 REVIEWER)
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Is this unique looking product a light that also charges or a charger that is also a handy light? The NOCO does both and does both well. Looking at the sticklike contraption, one wouldn't think it would have such a tremendous light output. I sampled the flashlight outside soon after opening the box and before charging the unit. Even at that point I was impressed. After actually charging the unit, I was blown away by the powerful light with such a wide swath of useful illumination. At one point I put my hand within an inch or two of the bulb; the light was so intense on my hand that I had to look away.
By pressing the control button, the user can cycle through the various strengths of the light from brilliant to night light intensity.

The charger is also a great feature. The NOCO is so small that it's no problem carrying it around in a pocket or purse for the inevitable cell phone recharge. After using the light feature for several walks with the dogs, I charged my phone. There's still enough charge left to power the flashlight.
A small charging dock is easy and convenient to use, insuring that your ChargelLight is always ready for duty.

One other thing to keep in mind is that this small light is so intensely. blindingly bright that it can be used for self defense. A bad guy will quickly be disabled by a beam of this light to the eyes. It can cause temporary or even permanent blindness, so one should be very careful when using it. Definitely don't put this in the hands of young ones.

UPDATE - Even with over 20 flashlights and lanterns in the Spudman household, the NOCO has become our go to light for the daily after dark walks with the dogs. The ever fussy Mrs. Spudman is quite impressed with this light and has declared it our best.

3.0 out of 5 stars Nice concept, Prohibitive price, February 27, 2014
Heidi Anne Heiner (SurLaLune Fairy Tales.com) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Okay, so this is a fine portable backup battery pack. It charges a phone or a Kindle to full capacity and even provides some extra juice, about 20-30% for a laptop. But there are other chargers out there that do that for a much lower price, roughly $20 on Amazon or at your favorite local retailer. The bonus here is the flashlight function as well as the charging base and plug pack. Those are usually not included with the $20 pack, only a USB cord usually comes with those. So that justifies the price a bit.

Then there's the flashlight. It's a fine flashlight and stronger than expected with a longer life of a few hours--I didn't test to the stated 4 hours on highest light. But there are just as good if not better flashlights for a much lower price once again.

So this is nice for travel if you need both types of functions (charger and flashlight options) and could benefit from another universal plug pack--let's face it the charging station is worthless for anything but this device. But it's nice to be able to charge it in the base. I travel and try to travel light but I don't think the combo justifies the price point. I'm not quite a backpack traveler so I would be happy to carry one of each, perhaps ones with more light and more charge capacity.

So am I happy to own and keep it? Yes. Will I buy another for the current price? Nope. Would I consider it for a lower price point, say $30? Yes. But not really more than that. I can get

3.0 out of 5 stars Blinding bright, March 17, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Impressive packaging, well made/high quality product.
Right out of the box, the instructions are a bit tedious, but detailed.
The wrist strap broke immediately. I have found myself missing this option, so I ended up finding one of my old camera straps and using that.
The charging dock doesn't have a snug fit & needs to be fiddled with to get it to charge.
An indicator light would be nice, to let you know just how much juice is left in the charger. The flashlight flickers near the end of its charge life.
The flashlight itself is ridiculously bright, the brightest one I've ever owned. I've actually had to switch down to a lower lumen just because the brightest bothers my eyes that much.
For the most part, I keep the light in my glovebox. It came in handy once while out and about and my phone was dying. It also came in handy to charge my mp3 player. It's a nice little gadget to keep handy. I would have purchased another for dh, since he likes it, but I'm waiting for a price drop.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Flashlight and charger source., September 12, 2014
RR (Bellevue) - See all my reviews
Being a flashaholic this is a excellent addition to my collection. Appears to be a excellent quality flashlight and charger. Yes it is on the expensive side however having the flashlight and the ability to charge one's phone is a Big plus. It would make a great gift.
The instructions state to not leave the flashlight in the charger for more than one week so do not leave it at home on the charger for periods exceeding one week. The type of battery used in this flashlight will retain it's charge for a very long period of time so there really is no need to leave it plugged into the charger. I am very happy with the purchase!

5.0 out of 5 stars Got it for the car but use it more than I imagined, March 3, 2014
This review is from: ChargeLight CL3 Red Bundle: USB Charging Station + UltraBright USB Flashlight + 10W USB Speed Charger (Automotive)
I am very happy that I got this. I have a similar device - about 18 months older that does not have the light. It just charges my phone. This NOCO CL3RD charges my phone AND has a useful light. I like it so much that I use it to get around the house at night, dark hotel rooms, and outside for late night walks. The charging unit at first seemed a bit touchy, but that turned out to be my anxiety more than anything else.

At home, my bedroom does not have electric power at night, so I have this light to get me around as needed. It charges rapidly during breakfast. Then it is in the car with me.

On hikes, it charges my phone and still has power for the light.

5.0 out of 5 stars Terrific light and battery pack!!, March 1, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
This is a terrific back up USB battery pack with a built in LED light. Unlike many LED light/battery packs, this one can actually be used to light your way with adjustable lumen output. With a maximum brightness of 250 lumens in a very clean wide flood, this is a great light for emergencies. You won't be shining it down the street, but the flood aspect of it will light up your living room in a power outage.

The battery pack is charged by either a micro USB cable which is included or it can be charged in a handy dock. The pack itself contains a cell that is 2600 mah. It's not a large one, but it will charge most cell phones with enough juice to keep you going for awhile. Remember that this light/pack is thin and light and will easily slip into a pocket or purse/glovebox. Excellent product and I may get a couple more as gifts.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Idea and Great Execution!, February 28, 2014
givpilot (Groton, MA USA) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
While the NOCO Chargelight may not be unique, it is a very well thought out and constructed device. As the name implies, it is a combination flashlight and charger for small battery powered devices.

The Pros:
1. Nice feel and quality metal construction. It just feels solid.
2. Very strong focused flashlight with controllable intensity plus a strobe setting
3. Charging base also has a USB output port for charging a separate device
4. Can be charged via the charging base or directly from the AC adapter
5. Charge level indicator
6. A 3 foot USB to micro-USB cable is included

The Cons:
1. The charge level indicator is not very precise, the only indications are 100% or almost discharged
2. At the lowest light output, the flashlight sometimes flickers a bit towards the end of a charge

My overall reaction is very positive. I travel with this device often; it's great to have a handy, reliable, high output flashlight with the added capability to keep my other electronic items alive until I can charge them properly. Great idea and great execution!

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent design, quality components, well thought-out, February 25, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I'm not going to list all the features of this item because unlike many other products, this seller has given a full listing of the important features in the item's Description section(s). One thing not listed in the Description section, however, is the ability to 'lock' the unit, keeping it from accidentally turning on & depleting the battery. Other reviewers have mentioned this already, but it bears repeating because it's such a useful feature, which shows that the product creators have really put an exhaustive amount of thought into this. I can't give it 5 stars, though, because of the price & some reported quality control problems. I'm looking forward to the next-generation of the ChargeLight.