4.0 out of 5 stars Anker is my new go-to company for computer accessories
Published 2 months ago by The Headhunter

3.0 out of 5 stars Convenient, but could be better
Pros:
-Six USB ports provide much needed expandability to my MacBook
-High speed USB 3.0 ports are fast enough to keep up with all my devices
-1.2A charging port charges my phone more quickly than a standard USB port

Cons:
-DC wall adapter is very large
Published 8 months ago by Ben Perkins

4.0 out of 5 stars Anker is my new go-to company for computer accessories, September 4, 2014
The Headhunter (Lebanon, NJ United States) - See all my reviews
I used to buy accessories like this from another major brand. Not able to get the "other brand" USB expansion unit I needed a few months ago, I tried an Anker unit. I was very surprised -- top-quality construction and materials, nice design, thoughtful features. So when I needed a USB and Ethernet expander/adapter for my new Microsoft Surface 3, I looked up Anker's products. Lo and behold -- better features than the competition, and slightly better pricing. I like that the main USB cable on this unit is detachable -- makes it easier to store and carry. I also like the two LED lights on the Ethernet jack -- not necessary in a small component like this, and the competition doesn't have them, but it makes a difference. I like to know the connection is working.

The product info says you'll need to install a driver for Windows 7 or 8. I didn't need to - the unit was instantly recognized and it just worked. It drives a 1GB Ethernet connection from my router to the Surface 3. No interference when I connect my old, old USB mouse. It's all plug-and-play.

This all shows me that Anker is determined to have the best-designed products in this market. Even the packaging is top-quality and well thought-out. I'm not one of those that Anker sent a review unit to -- I found it and bought on my own. I'll be buying more Anker accessories. They've shown me they make good products. Highly recommended. Great stuff. And it's nice to see a manufacturer paying such attention to detail.

5.0 out of 5 stars 2 great products in one, August 7, 2014
Over the last 12 months I have bought and reviewed some Anker products. They asked me if I would look at and give an honest review of their 3 Port USB hub and Gigabit Ethernet converter - so here goes:-

Anker appear to have a cunning plan - they keep producing useful PC accesories and make them to a high specification and don't charge too much for them.

In the box is the hub itself, a short USB cable to connect the hub to your PC and a little printed instruction book.

This USB hub is nice and compact, just under 4 inches long and about 1 inch wide. It is a smart combination of high gloss white and black - looking neat on the desktop rather than my old hub which had the appearance of a small brick !

Although the instructions suggest it may need a driver, it worked plug and play with both my PC and my 2011 Macbook pro.

I have tried 2 separate portable USB3 hard drives and the data transfer seemed very fast. I transferred a 4GB video file from the PC to a portable hard drive in around 2 minutes. I have also tried my mouse and a memory stick at the same time and everything works fine.

A little green LED gives a reassuring "on" indication and I think I will make good use of the hub.

I have been thinking about the other part of the hub - the Gigabit converter and how I would use it. Now I don't have a macbook air but was thinking about the fact that the air doesn't have an ethernet socket and that this would allow a user to connect by Ethernet for data transfer. Building on this - a lot of smaller devices don't have the abilty to connect by Ethernet and this would appear to be a great way to overcome this at low cost.

With data transfer of photos and short videos I have always found USB 2 or 3 to be fine, but thinking about transferring say 250GB of data from one machine to another, using the Ethernet converter would make transfer about 15- 20 times faster.

There is an 18 month guarantee with the hub, but having now tried 6 or 7 Anker products, I have found them all to be reliable and nothing yet has stopped working. I have also found that when on 2 occasions I have contacted Anker technical support for advice they have replied within a day on both occasions.

I can strongly recommend both this product and the manufacturer. I have no connection with Anker other than as a product user.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Hub. The best I've used., February 27, 2014
Peter (Bridgewater, NJ) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Anker® USB 3.0 7-Port Hub with 1 BC 1.2 Charging Port up to 5V 1.5A, 12V 3A Power Adapter Included [VIA VL812-B2 Chipset] (Personal Computers)
I've long been an Anker fan of their products. Excellent support, top notch customer service and a quick response time whenever I've had inquiries or issues.

As an IT Director I recently I had a need to purchase a few hubs for my job. We have a lot of ultrabooks, PC and Mac, that are very short on USB ports and needed a solid solution for our build center to allow for more peripherals. Webcams, microphones, Skype Headsets, speakers, data cables and other charging ports are always at a premium especially these days when laptop systems are so stingy on the ports to allow for the thinness in form factor.

I've owned a ton of USB hubs at different jobs over the years, as well as for home use. Most have been pretty cheap in quality and function but not in price! I ordered the Anker USB 3.0 7-Port Hub to ensure that I'd have plenty of ports, be able to take advantage of the USB 3.0 speeds, especially for external hard drives for imaging purposes. It was very important to have charging port at a higher capacity for the multitude of smartphones used at this company.

So far this Anker product has been excellent. It's well constructed, sturdy and does exactly what it says. In the past I've had some issues with cheaper hubs giving device conflicts in Windows XP, 7 and 8. No issues to date with Anker's product, and I love it so far.

Make sure you plan out enough ports for all your devices before purchasing and always opt for a few extra ports in case you add peripherals over time. You'll never wish you had less. Also if you have to choose between USB 2.0 and 3.0, go for the 3.0 and future proof yourself. You'll be glad you did with these transfer speeds.

3.0 out of 5 stars Convenient, but could be better, March 20, 2014
Pros:
-Six USB ports provide much needed expandability to my MacBook
-High speed USB 3.0 ports are fast enough to keep up with all my devices
-1.2A charging port charges my phone more quickly than a standard USB port

Cons:
-DC wall adapter is very large
-Does not work at all without DC power. When I'm on the go, I don't want to carry a giant plug with me, I just want to be able to plug in a few thumb drives, Bluetooth adapters or other low power USB devices, but that doesn't work
-The white plastic is very cheap looking. Don't expect this to look good next to a MacBook or other high quality laptop. Additionally, both the green power LED and blue indicator LEDs shine through the plastic, making it look even cheaper.
-The bottom provides negligible grip. I'm going to have to buy some Velcro to keep this in place. Some rubber pads would have added a lot to this, especially when you're on the go and Velcro isn't convenient (on the plus side, since the USB ports are vertical, there is much less sliding when inserting or removing devices)
-Charging port is only 1.2A, iPads and other tablets use 2.1A charging, so it takes much longer to charge these devices than it does with the standard wall adapter

Bottom line:
It's less than $40 for a 6 port USB 3.0 hub (not counting the charging port) and besides the wall plug, it's a convenient size. I'd say it's worth the money, but I would spend a little more time comparing other options before buying this one.

5.0 out of 5 stars Truly amazing if you want BOTH usb hub and ethernet adapter, August 9, 2014
This is absolutely amazing and necessary device for my Macbook Pro. I needed something that can let me connect to the Ethernet while not sacrificing the USB. I could have purchased the thunderbolt-to-ethernet adapter cable from Apple, but this device allowed me to get both USB hub and ethernet for less price. I have previously tried using other brand's models with same functionalities, but I always had some issues with the driver installations and periodic disconnection of the ethernet signal. However, so far I had no issue at all with this device, and the setup did not require any extra driver or hassle. Here are some pros and cons for this device:

Pros:
- The compatibility of this device with my Mac (Macbook Pro retina, 15'', mid-2014 version) is perfect.
- No need to install any driver to use this device. Just plug in the ethernet cable and you are good to go!
- Very simple and neat design, where the color and design matches very well with my Macbook.

Cons: NONE so far.

Something I wish:
- I wish there was another model from Anker with more number of usb hubs. I would be more than happy to pay extra cash for the increased number of usb ports, since I tend to connect more than three devices to my laptop.

5.0 out of 5 stars So Far So Good, April 28, 2014
Ryan (Toledo, Ohio) - See all my reviews
I've had this hub for 16 days now. Works great so far. I have 2, 2 TB Western Digital MyBook Elite Drives (that still amazingly work after 6 years) USB 2.0, 1 2TB Western Digital MyBook USB 3.0, 1 4TB Western Digital MyBook Studio USB 3.0 (that shipped with this order), 1 iPhone 5 and 1 iPad (1st Generation) all connected. It's connected to a mid 2012 MacBook Pro Retina. I looked at a TON of USB 3.0 hubs on Amazon before buying. This seemed like just the right amount of ports for my use and not crazy expensive. I'm mainly transferring large video files and I'm getting about the same transfer speed as when the USB 3.0/2.0 drives were connected directly to the computer. So again works great, 16 days in, if I run into any problems I'll be sure to update!

5.0 out of 5 stars Works great!!!, December 22, 2013
It has been installed for only 3 days but seems to be working as advertised. I plugged in a USB 3.0 WD 2TB external HD and it immediately recognized it and allowed data transfer. Some people had complained WD drives were not compatible....not so in my case. Plugged in other USB 2.0 devices and they are working fine. So far so good.

5.0 out of 5 stars Impressed with this little hub, October 2, 2014
Adrian "-ACB" (Portland, OR USA) - See all my reviews
Great little hub. I picked this up for my Macbook Pro (running Windows 8.1.) In typical Anker fashion, packaging is really nice and the unit itself is small and feel high quality. Connecting to Windows 8.1, it is instantly recognized and no drivers are needed. The Gig-E chipset is Realtek which works well on Windows. Your mileage may vary on Linux and I have not tested on OS X but it is likely it will be recognized right away.

The included USB cable looks to be about 1.5ft which is a bit short for my taste, I would have liked a 3ft cable. The cable itself is high quality and very flexible which is nice. The hub itself has no rubber feet on it at all, so it will slide around on your desk. I found some random stick on rubber feet and stuck them on mine to keep it from doing that. It would have been nice if those were included.

This hub is self powered and there is no way to power it, this might be a downer for some people. USB 3.0 has current capacity up to 900ma so there is a bit more headroom than older USB but for 3 ports plus Gig-E, you don't have much to split between the ports. I connected my Nexus 5 to one port and measured 0.43amps @ 4.98v which is exactly what the phone draws if I connect it directly to my computer. That's really good for a non-powered hub!

The unit has a small green LED on the top showing it is powered up. I like how it is not bright at all so will not disturb you. The Gig-E port also has the typical LED link and activity lights.

The good:
- Small, great for travel
- No drivers needed (on Windows other OS untested)
- Cost effective way to add Gig-E and three more USB 3.0 ports to a computer or laptop
- Unobtrusive green LED

The bad:
- A longer USB cable would be nice like 3ft
- Rubber feet should be included in the package
- Unpowered -- may be a problem for some

The ugly:
- Nothing!

My verdict:
- Great. I totally recommend this to anyone. Anker products are usually great and this is no exception.

5.0 out of 5 stars Works, June 14, 2014
Initially, I thought it was dropping connections. But after resetting it once, it has been fine. I have 5 external HDD's plugged in for various backup tasks using Carbon Copy Cloner and Time Machine. Some of my initial backup tasks were aborted because of "changed location of volume". After powering everything down and disconnect/reconnect of all cables, it seems to be working fine. Time will tell. I will update if there are more problems.

I bought this hub specifically because of the orientation of the ports. The hub is adhered to the desktop and the ports face up, it is easy to connect HDD's for temporary use.

The case is plastic but seems well made. There are no mounting holes but for my purpose a few blobs of Quake Hold suffice. You could also use double stick tape.

The connection LED's are small numbers, are blue and not too bright. There is also a small green power LED. The blue led's light when there is a USB device connected and recognized. They also stay on while Drives are hibernating.

My hub is actually attached to my Airport Extreme router so the drives are available on my network. My computer is a Mac Mini and it is also used by a Macbook Pro for backup.

4.0 out of 5 stars Worked Perfectly Out of the Box, April 16, 2014
Bought this for my Mac, as I wanted a hub that would provide USB 3.0 support. Worked perfectly on an iMac running mavericks. 4 stars instead of 5 because the plug side of the power adapter was pretty large. If you're targeting Apple users, then you should know most of the Apple plugs are designed to be slim/compact, having the massive plug was a bit of a letdown. Small complaint though, shipped fast, packaging was nice too (much better than the other USB hubs I've purchased). Plug and go, what else could I have asked for?