5.0 out of 5 stars large battery, practical... in short: nice
This solar charger is nice because it has a big backup battery. I use mine for my iPhone 4 and my Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1

With iPhone:
Published on May 15, 2012 by Blu-estLight

3.0 out of 5 stars Nice product, silly decision on connector
Published 20 months ago by Peter Denbigh

5.0 out of 5 stars large battery, practical... in short: nice, May 15, 2012

With iPhone:
I get around 3 charges to my iPhone when this battery is at 100%. Usually I get it to 100% using the USB cable, but when I'm not next to power, or if I'm feeling environmental, I charge in the sun. It's practical to get a full iPhone charge after leaving in the sun for about 5 hours.

Solar Charging: I've used this on the dashboard, at the beach and at Coachella 2012!!!!! All instances had mixed results. I found that having this on my blanket at the beach for around 4 hours got two bars, which ended up giving me about 90% boost to my iPhone 4 and then some. On my dashboard it gets to 4 bars if I leave it there for 2 days, but I don't usually do that. It seems like the dashboard ALMOST fully charges it, but I can tell its probably actually at about 90% full at about 10+ hours of dahsboard time. At Coachella I had this thing on the carabiner on my backpack and was moving around all day. It gave me about 60% charge to my iPhone when I needed it(at nigth). I think I was in the sun for about 5-6 hours, but moving around a lot.

With Galaxy Tab 10.1: It give around 40% charge to the Galaxy Tab 10.1 which I've used on the airplane for back up power. I charge the tab with POWER OFF so it can give more juice. 40% to the tab is a few hours of extra video/games/etc, so its definitely cool for a boost.

Using USB charging: If you connect it to your computer, it seems like 6 hours is the right amount of time to get 4 bars full. I've used it with my iPhone charger too, and it seemed like 4-5 hours. Either way, just check the status using the big button.

Flashlight: I haven't needed this BUT ONCE. I was checking my oil at night and had this handy. One REALLY COOL thing was that the battery was at 0%. No reaction to pressing the flashlight. THEN, I left it in sunlight for literally 1 minute to see if the light got any power. Sure enough the LED flashlight lit up for about 30 seconds before dimming. I think LED lights are low power, but WOW thats a pretty fast charge. More of justa fun experiment for my use, but it could be cool for camping(says 36 hours of light off a full charge/not tested by me)

Sum it all up:
Sorry if my review was all over the place, but I hope some of this helps. I've used this thing to give boosts to my friends' phones and their immediate reaction was that this is a cool gadget. Also, I got some intriguing glances at the beach and security line at Coachella. It's definitely an eye catcher, but best of all it comes through for me when i need it. I ahve to be honest, I use it most by charging it by USB, then carrying it for power to use later, but having the option of solar is great AND it works. It feels nice, looks nice, works nice, price is good, accessories like the suction cups and carabiner are cool. All in all, nice product. Let's see how long it lasts...

5.0 out of 5 stars Great on-the-go power, August 24, 2012
Alright, let's get what you're thinking out of the way first: you think this thing looks flimsy and will break the first chance it gets, or it won't work period. Wrong.

That's what I though after taking it out of the box. Its a light unit, it does not feel like there is a battery/electronics in there at all. But this thing works beautifully! Some of the reviews mention that it takes hours for the unit to solar charge, and that it might melt if you leave it on your dashboard in the sun. Not true. I live in Georgia. The summers here are HOT. Getting in your car after leaving it in the July sun is like climbing into your oven at home. On a recent day trip I left the charger on my car's dashboard in the July sun, and it had charged to full during the two hours I was gone from my car. And it did not melt into my dashboard.

On another day trip my Droid Razr was dying (poor battery life is the norm for that phone), and I simply pulled the charger from my pack, plugged in my Micro USB cable, and put the battery unit in the pocket of my shorts along with my phone. It didn't feel clunky or anything, and it charged my phone. What more can you ask for?

This is a great charger for the money, especially when you compare it to other solar batteries like the GoalZero ones. I'm sure they work just as well, but IMO they are way too expensive for what they do.

Some other little tidbits I'll offer:
-I've charged this unit by plugging the special (included) USB cable into a Kindle power Adapter and one of the mini Apple power adapters, and both charged it perfectly.
-Its small, so it fits in a backpack, purse, or pocket really easily.
-I have not tried this yet, but you can add additional solar panels to improve the battery's charge time when charging from the sun. Out of the box the battery comes with a hook dealie you attach to the side, then attach to the extra solar panel.
-The case itsself is made of a good, solid plastic which can take some abuse. I would try to keep the solar panel away from any situations which could damage it, but it should be okay handling day-to-day usage (i.e. keeping it in a cluttered bag with all kind of pointy things).

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Product, June 13, 2012
kenny (idaho, usa) - See all my reviews
I was looking for a solar recharger for long bike rides and hiking/camping/mountaineering etc. This works great! When I got it, I fully charged it using USB as recommended, and then tried to fully drain it. I charged my phone, iPod, and finally had to hook up my MotoACTV and let it run with Bluetooth and GPS enabled. Amazing capacity on this thing!

It is a bit difficult to actually fully charge this thing on solar alone, but it does well enough to charge up my phone and MotoACTV at the end of the day. The included locking biner is a nice touch. It isn't climbing spec, but it is a lot lighter than a climbing locker.

And a note on customer service- This comes with a protective film on the panel. I went to take it off, and the top was actually tucked under the case. I thought maybe it was supposed to be permanent and I screwed up trying to remove it, so I emailed support. I had a response in minutes. I wrote later asking about additional panels, and again, a response in minutes.

Final note- it comes with a part for hooking up additional panels, and the manual states you can buy additional panels, but they don't actually make the panels yet (as of 6/13/12).

3.0 out of 5 stars Nice product, silly decision on connector, January 4, 2013
The product itself is nice. Good capacity, good size, decent build quality. There are two ways to charge it - solar and plug-in. The plug-in method is the fastest, and it is designed to plug into a standard USB port. HOWEVER, they use a somewhat propitiatory plug to go from the USB port to the actual reVIVE device, which is really silly. They should have used a standard micro or mini USB cable. Now, when I take it, I have to take one more wire along with me. Had they thought through the user experience, they would have incorporated a standard plug that could be borrowed, shared, etc.

Other than that, so far so good!

5.0 out of 5 stars Works better than expected, June 9, 2012
This product is fantastic. I purchased it for the purpose of keeping my Droid phone charged during airshows. I kept it pointed towards the sun whenever possible (even works when cloudy). It charges the phone faster than using a car charger. I will probably purchase another one for my airshow companion.

5.0 out of 5 stars Works flawlessly!, September 10, 2012
UPDATED AFTER A MONTH OF USAGE!!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have purchased both this AND the Opteka BP-SC4000 Ultra Thin Solar Powered High Capacity (4000mAh) Backup Battery and Charger for Cell Phones, iPhone, iPod, and Most USB Powered Devices

I am in the process of returning the Opteka since I either received a defective unit or the product just simply does not work. The Opteka did NOT charge my phone for longer than 10 seconds even after it is fully charged by USB.

The ReVIVE XL is more expensive but so far it's worked as advertised. It is a pretty big unit, pretty sure it will be bigger than most cellphones right now. However, it feels pretty solid and looks like a more than decent quality product.

I have charged it by plugging it into my AC adapter and by solar energy. Obviously, solar energy takes a much longer time to charge but that is to be expected. The ReVIVE even charges in indirect sunlight but not as quickly.

This charger charges my Droid Bionic, which is using a 1735 mAh battery, from 0% to 100% in about an hour and 40 minutes. It comes out to be a very convenient number since this means that it's charging about 1% every minute. This also means that it charges about 17.35 mAh per minute. If you want to find out how long it takes to charge your device from 0%, just divide your current device's mAh by 17.35 and you should have a very decent estimate, in terms of minutes, on how long it should take for this charger to charge your device from 0%.

Overall, it is a 5 star product for its price, I find the product useful and I am very pleased with the purchase. Be advised that charging it by solar power can be a very lengthy process.

NOTE that the ReVIVE can NOT charge itself while charging other devices at the same time.

UPDATE!
---------------
After about a month of using this product, I can say that it still works and functions as if it was brand new! I am very impressed with the quality of this product. The amount of charge still seems to be identical as to when the device was brand new.

I actually use it every single day for many, many different purposes. I charge my cell phone with it, I charge my wireless headset with it, I charge my lighter with it (it's one of those electronic, flameless lighter), I charge my mp3 player with it, I charge my flashlight with it, I even plug my USB desktop lamp into it while doing my work at night! I'm probably forgetting a few other things but pretty much anything that has a USB port and requires charging or power through a USB can be used with this device.

I have recommended this product to several people and they are all happy with theirs as well.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Portable "Hybrid" Power Solution, July 19, 2013
I love gadgets, especially those involving rechargeable batteries. I had a similar but vastly inferior product that broke a year ago and have been researching alternatives. This guy is great and fits my needs nicely. A few thoughts:

1. It's A HYBRID. Don't think of this as a solar powered battery. Think of it as a portable battery that you can charge from an outlet and, as a bonus, from the sun. Note that the latter is not going to give you a full charge unless you get the add-on panels.

2. Have Realistic Expectations. Solar panels have come a long way. You should be amazed that something so small can convert sunshine into electrical power and store it.

3. It's a Small Battery, After All. A 4000mAh battery with a full charge is just enough to be recharge one or two handheld devices. It will not jump-start your car. It is not a portable defibrillator. You can not use it to tase small children and pets. You can use it to charge your phone from dead to full or thereabouts (and you should spend some time learning what really sucks the juice out of your iPhone, mister "Siri give me directions to every Starbucks in the United States."). It is not going to fully charge an iPad. Is it great in a pinch? Absolutely!

4. Not All Sunshine Is Created Equal. I live in Nevada, where we give our clouds names because they are so rare. I can always stick this little guy in the sun and reliably charge it. If you live in Seattle, this isn't going to work for you. You also aren't going to get a charge off of indirect light or sunshine coming through a window with any kind of reflective film or coating, so don't expect to keep it in your office window or on your dashboard and get much juice. Plan on powering it through an outlet and using the sun when you can.

Overall this is a fun, useful gadget with a nice form-factor and a great price. The flashlight feature is handy -I love the fact that it can strobe in an emergency- and it's sturdy enough to keep in a backpack. Besides having emergency power for your phone, it will get you thinking about solar power and reusable batteries- that alone is worth it.

3.0 out of 5 stars 4 weeks in Nepal, November 15, 2012
Mark Rhomberg (SAN LUIS OBISPO, CA, US) - See all my reviews
I used this both as a battery storage and solar charger. It worked the entire time we were Trekking in Nepal and occasionally we were able to recharge the battery at our hotels. Using the solar recharge ability the battery never got above 1/2 full but with boost of an occational charge this unit was really helpful. We used it to charge 2 iPhones. For true off the grid camping I would consider this not worthy, possibly the added solar panels would make it so.

5.0 out of 5 stars perfect for travelers, January 24, 2013
I used this while ice fishing for an entire week Using the solar panal to charge its onboard battery to fully charge my phone 3 times. Worked and still works perfectly.

5.0 out of 5 stars ADD-ON PANEL, October 4, 2012
This review is from: ADD-ON Solar Charging Panel Extensions for ReVIVE Series Solar ReStore XL External Backup Battery Pack (Not compatible with 1500mAh Model) - Doubles your ReStore's solar charging speed!
This thing works like a champ.I haven't actually timed the recharge on the charger with this attached but it definitely seems to perk up the charge time.Also it seems to make the charger operate with less required light.It hooks right up to my ReVIVE Solar ReStore XL Rapid Charge 4000maH charger with just a quick clip.Works brilliantly!!!

Rate and Discover Movies