‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars I don't see the feathers in the wings, I just count the wings, May 28, 2008
This review is from: Charles Harper's Birds and Words (Hardcover)
I have an original copy of this book which was given to me by my grandmother. The art and the text are whimsical and playful but have a strong undercurrent of environmental respect. Mr Harper is brilliant. This book would be worth three times as much as the list price,

5.0 out of 5 stars Truly a gem..., May 8, 2008
This review is from: Charles Harper's Birds and Words (Hardcover)
I'm a big fan of Charley Harper's art, but what's makes this book so special is Charley's writing. His sense of humor and word play are equal to his paintings! Great gift for all occassions.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent in Word and Picture, November 23, 2008
This review is from: Charles Harper's Birds and Words (Hardcover)
After seeing a retrospective show of both Charlie and Edie Harper at the Cincinnati Museum of Art, I had to purchase this book. Charlie's bird silkscreens are illustrations, designs and fantastic artpieces all in one. His minimalist approach can teach any artist what to leave out in order to improve a painting. I can only imagine what it might have been like to have been a student of his. The works are rich and clean and the reproductions in this book are excellent quality. Also, make sure and notice the clever side-characters he puts in to help represent the environment that each bird lives in: snails, frogs, butterflies and flora... each exquisitely designed and can stand on their own as amazing.

A side note: I wish there were a similar volume of Edie's works, she is every bit as clever and talented an artist as Charlie and one can easily see the influence of each on the other.

5.0 out of 5 stars Charley Harper's art, June 9, 2008
This review is from: Charles Harper's Birds and Words (Hardcover)
This book was a very good example of Charley Harper's artwork and how he developed his own style. He was a very unique and interesting artist. I love his work. And his comments that he put with his art is also fun to read. He was a unique artist. I had seen him on Sunday Morning and decided I liked what I saw so decided to pursue purchasing some of his art in books. The preciseness of his art is quite unusual and I am amazed how he enables you to see the birds in their natural habitat by using the utensils he used to create his art. I would love to see some of his silk screen work. He paid attention to detail and color and it is reflected in his work.

5.0 out of 5 stars charley harper's birds and words, June 23, 2008
K. Russell (camden, ME USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Charles Harper's Birds and Words (Hardcover)
This book is a gem. We bought it as a gift for our 8 yr. old son who is a bird enthusiast, and my husband and I, both illustrators, love it just as much. Charley Harper's illustrations are at the same time ingenious, gorgeous and often humorous. This is one of my favorite books and a great value too.

5.0 out of 5 stars Charles Harper's Magnificent Birds, May 17, 2009
This review is from: Charles Harper's Birds and Words (Hardcover)
This small book is an absolute gem. A friend loaned her copy to my wife and I, knowing that both of us are artists. We loved it so much I immediately ordered a copy.

Charles Harper's ability to see the essence of a particular bird and render it with stunning beauty and exquisite simplicity is amazing. If you love birds, fine art, printmaking and design you will love this book. Buy it now, while you can. You will not regret the purchase.

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful! A great gift, too., November 25, 2009
This review is from: Charles Harper's Birds and Words (Hardcover)
I bought this little book as a gift to myself. Being a bird lover, and designer, and -- well, I need little reason to buy a beautiful book. I saw a TV program highlighting Mr. Harper's work, and then looked for books on him. I choose to buy this one due to the bird theme. The artwork is a wonderful example of how the simplest designs can be the most beautiful (and fool us into thinking design is easy!). What a master this man was with shape, form, line and color. I have much to learn in this regard...and Harper's books have much to teach.

I'm also a big fan of Eva Zeisel's designs, and I can see correlation between the two artists and their mastery of form.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great style, April 1, 2009
This review is from: Charles Harper's Birds and Words (Hardcover)
I love the art in this book. It's very unique and any bird or art lover will enjoy it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Charles Harper's Birds and Words, February 13, 2009
M. Baker (Wiltshire, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Charles Harper's Birds and Words (Hardcover)
This is a delightful little book. Don't be misled by the wit and whimsey, (which is highly enjoyable) this book is full of excellent illustrations by an inventive artist.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Treasure!, January 12, 2009
Mary Ellen M. (Powder Springs, GA USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Charles Harper's Birds and Words (Hardcover)
If you love Art, Birds, and Wit, this is something you should add to your collection! Charles Harper's minimalist technique gives you a whole new perspective on the beauty of birds in their natural surroundings. His ability to capture the Essence of a bird with just a few lines is truly amazing, and if that's not enough, he has accompanied each illustration with a few lines of clever prose that will leave you with a smile. Get one for yourself, and buy another to give.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Charles Harper's Birds and Words
Charles Harper's Birds and Words by Charley Harper (Hardcover - May 1, 2008)
Used & New from: $1.49