5.0 out of 5 stars A GREAT Gift
I got this as a present for my boyfriend, he's always wanted one.
I agree with everyone else in saying that the pictures do not do this watch justice, it's beautiful! The engravings are very intricate and it's not too girlie.
Published on February 16, 2011 by Cayrawr

3.0 out of 5 stars Disappointed
Published 15 months ago by Dawn J

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars a reasonable example of a cheap pocket watch., May 14, 2012
A Reader "snailgate" (Newark, DE United States) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Charles-Hubert, Paris Mechanical Pocket Watch (Watch)
First accept what this is--old technology. You can buy a watch at the local drug store, for $15 or less that is powered by a battery and will keep better time, take rougher handling without damage.

It is the technology of my first watch, where I was told to wind it very carefully because if I wound it too far, it would break. And this one will too, as many here have posted. The 'crystal' is plastic and will scratch easily.

So I unpacked the watch which includes careful instructions on winding. I followed it carefully, winding very gingerly after 25. At about 28 I could feel greater resistance, and I stopped. This is a hunter case, which means there is a hinged cover over the face. It is a 'demi hunter' which means there is a window in the center of the cover that lets you see the time without opening the cover. The watch is partially skeletonized, which means you can see the some of the mechanical works. The black hands can be seen easily through the window. The cover is stamped with decorative design around the outer edge and large roman numerals to make it easier to note the time without opening the cover.The back is covered with a design similar to the front. The inside of the cover is marked with overlapping round swirls that is sometimes called 'machine turning'.The inside dial is white, with smaller roman numerals.

Accuracy? I compared this watch with a 130 year old Waltham that belonged to my grandfather, and a Chinese quartz hunter case Elgin given to me by my daughter when she graduated from college, 19 years ago. The Waltham usually lives in a glass dome on a book shelf and has been wound perhaps once every few years since my father gave it to me 40 years ago. When I first got it, a local watch technician cleaned and lubed it. I set the time for each of them against a Casio light powered, radio controlled wrist watch. The two mechanical watches were difficult to set to the exact second--the second hand did not stop when the stem was pulled out to set the time. So I noted how many seconds each differed from the Casio at the start of the week test period, then left them sitting on a shelf in the vertical. I soon learned that the Waltham needed winding twice a day, so it did not run continuously for the seven day observation period. Neverthess, this morning it was six and a half minutes slow according to th Casio. The Elgin was right on the money. The Charles-Hubert was 5 minutes fast. Surprise to me, the minute hand did line up nicely with the minute mark on the dial when the second hand was at 12. This is frequently off on much more expensive watches.

Five minutes in seven days? Do you really need more than this? When you wind it each day, set it also--against your cell phone, the tv weather/news channel or almost anything in the world around us.

The fun of this watch is in the process of removing it from the pocket, clicking open the case, carefully closing the case, and returning it to the pocket. This watch is welcome break from the split second obsession with time that is all around us..

5.0 out of 5 stars A GREAT Gift, February 16, 2011
This review is from: Charles-Hubert, Paris Mechanical Pocket Watch (Watch)
I got this as a present for my boyfriend, he's always wanted one.
It's a real clockwork watch that you have to crank every so often which in my case was a big plus. The ticking isn't loud but you can hear it and see the gears move which is neat.
The chain is sturdy and the clasp at the end does it's job well.
The instructions for winding were a little confusing at first but we were able to figure it out after a few minutes of messing with it--i think we were both too excited haha
It's not too small and has some weight so it feels solid.
It also does a good job of being a watch. After we figured out how to set it, it kept time with both of our phones and my own watch perfectly! The next day it just got a little ahead but that might have been from the winding, i'm not sure.

Overall a very nice watch! It's classy and tells time well just what a pocket watch is supposed to do ^-^
Definitely Recommend

5.0 out of 5 stars Twenty winds every morning., April 25, 2011
This review is from: Charles-Hubert, Paris Mechanical Pocket Watch (Watch)
I've had this watch for two weeks now and I am very happy. I wind it while I am drinking coffee in the morning and gearing up for a day at the office. So far it hasn't been off by more then a minute, and I find that I actually enjoy going without a wristwatch. The weight of the watch and overall general construction are all satisfactory, and I would recommend this as a gift to anyone.

I do recommend purchasing the leather pouch for this. It's very handy to snap it onto your belt and then pull the watch from it whenever you need it. Very retro and stylish.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very nice gift for my father, January 10, 2011
This review is from: Charles-Hubert, Paris Mechanical Pocket Watch (Watch)
I got this watch for my father as a Christmas gift.
It is lovely piece. We (my father and I) especially like the fact it was hand winding watch. When I opened the box I was pleasantly surprised. It looked more beautiful than it does in the pictures, it felt light but solid made. I highly recomen this watch, for the price it's a steal.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for the price of Good, August 15, 2011
This review is from: Charles-Hubert, Paris Mechanical Pocket Watch (Watch)
This is an inexpensive pocket watch that is fun and great looking. It comes with a chain and a nice box and pouch. It doesnt keep perfect time but its pretty accurate. just a fun piece to carry around. So many people have asked me about it and wanted to hold it the last 2 weeks its crazy. My uncle even asked where he can get one from.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very pleased, October 1, 2010
This review is from: Charles-Hubert, Paris Mechanical Pocket Watch (Watch)
This pocket watch was bought as a gift. I can say that the person that recieved this watch was very happy. As I was to. Great gift!!

3.0 out of 5 stars Disappointed, January 1, 2013
This review is from: Charles-Hubert, Paris Mechanical Pocket Watch (Watch)
I was really excited to give this to my husband for Christmas.. but I was really disappointed. I think it appears cheap... the gears don't look the same as in the photo. There was a scratch on the surface as well as 2 pieces of lint inside next to the 12 o'clock mark which screams poor workmanship to me... Save your frustration and spend the extra money on something higher quality.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very Nice Watch, April 24, 2012
CuteCuddlyCitten (BIRMINGHAM, AL, US) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Charles-Hubert, Paris Mechanical Pocket Watch (Watch)
This watch is really beautiful. I got it for my fiance as an engagement present; then he can carry it on our wedding day. He loved it!

5.0 out of 5 stars nice watch, July 22, 2011
This review is from: Charles-Hubert, Paris Mechanical Pocket Watch (Watch)
The watch is nice and keeps pretty good time. We had to send the first one back cause it came to us broken. We reported it and got a replacement quick. We picked it up for under 70 bucks and its worth it.

4.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful, July 3, 2011
This review is from: Charles-Hubert, Paris Mechanical Pocket Watch (Watch)
I purchased this for my son who wanted a pocket watch for his 19th birthday. This watch looks more beautiful in person than it does in the pictures. It is solid, well made, and was just what we were looking for. I wanted him to have something solid and well made to last, but I didn't have 400.00 to spend on a watch either. I definitely didn't want to go with something cheap. This is perfect. If you are thinking of buying this but are not sure, don't hesitate. It's gorgeous.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›