5.0 out of 5 stars A is for Awesome
I loved this book! The illustrations of animals on each spread are graceful works of art. The delicate use of line, color and shape sometimes looks Japanese, sometimes like a collage made of construction paper. Others are loose pen-and-ink drawings.

Published on June 13, 2008 by Julie Neal

3.0 out of 5 stars Great Illustration, just too small
I was hoping the illustrations would take up a whole page, instead they cut them into 4 per page which is really too small.
Published 17 months ago by CrankyJ

5.0 out of 5 stars A is for Awesome, June 13, 2008
This review is from: ABCs (Chunky Version) (Board book)

You can tell the late Charley Harper loved animals, as his affection for them jumps off the page. There is so much personality! In D is for Dog, the smiling spaniel has dirt on his nose and legs, and you can almost see him panting. In I is for Iguana, two giant lizards battle for a captive tiny pig, swinging their tails and rearing up. Q is for Quail shows whirring wings on a fat and happy bird.

The inside covers show a collage of dozens of other Harper animals, most of which are not used in the book.

The board book itself is a little more sturdy than most. It will hold up well.

Charley Harper's ABC's is an outstanding way to introduce fine artwork to young children. Other good choices include Zen Ties and Walt Disney's Cinderella.

5.0 out of 5 stars Delightful board book, September 5, 2008
Thomas Pine (Irvine, CA United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: ABCs (Chunky Version) (Board book)
This book is a great sampling of Charley Harper's work and a great ABC board book for kids.

There is something interesting or cute in nearly every picture. Harper's unmistakable style makes the alphabet enjoyable.

5.0 out of 5 stars Classical Harper, May 29, 2008
Donald Watkins (Brooklyn, MI USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: ABCs (Chunky Version) (Board book)
ABC's uses Harper's stylized graphics of animals with few words and lots of nature study. Delightful for adults and educational for children. I am a Harper fan and would not normally buy a board page book. The unusual binding makes the board pages work well.

5.0 out of 5 stars Stylish and beautiful children's book, May 29, 2008
This review is from: ABCs (Chunky Version) (Board book)
What a delight - a book that is as beautiful for the parents as it is for children. This stylish book is perfect. The pages are sturdy and plentiful for avid page turning toddlers. The letters are bold and the accompanying graphics are beautiful and full of surprises. My daughter is delighted with something new each time we read this book. It is a classic and our new favorite!

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful for children and adults!, September 5, 2008
This review is from: ABCs (Chunky Version) (Board book)
This book is BEAUTIFUL! What a fantastic way to learn the alphabet and be inspired at the same time. Harper's artwork is gorgeous, inspired and whimsical.

5.0 out of 5 stars Things to delight both children and adults, February 2, 2010
This review is from: ABCs (Chunky Version) (Board book)
The "U is for Underwater" page really grabbed my attention. There are 3 molecules illustrated above a scene of water and lightning. Guess what - it's the origin of life on Earth!

The left molecule is CH3NH2 - Methylamine, the simplest primary amine.

The center molecule is NH2CH2COOH - Glycine, the smallest of the 20 amino acids.

The right molecule is CH3CHO - Acetaldehyde, which can condense with cyanide and ammonia to give, after hydrolysis, the amino acid Alanine, which is the next largest amino acid.

Simple organic molecules like these are thought to have been formed by lightning or hydrothermal vents, and to have been the building blocks of life in the waters of the ancient Earth.

Not the sort of thing you'd expect to find in an ABC book!

5.0 out of 5 stars incredible artist, June 29, 2008
This review is from: ABCs (Chunky Version) (Board book)
I have always loved the illustrations of Charlie Harper and this children's book is no exception. You and your child will love it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful ABC board book, June 11, 2008
M. Walton (Los Angeles, CA United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: ABCs (Chunky Version) (Board book)
This ABC book is beautifully illustrated. Pleasing for both a child and adult to look at.
The one thing that strikes me as strange is that the whole book follows the "A is for Ape, B is for Bird" pattern until you get to "N is for Nest", then "U is for Underwater???", "W is for Web" and "X- how many X's Can You Find?". It would have been nice to have animals on all the pages.. well I guess X is a bit hard. Perhaps they didn't have any illustrations from Charley Harper to fit those pages?
But otherwise I love this book. Would even look good on the coffee table!

4.0 out of 5 stars One of the most beautiful children' books available, May 7, 2009
Andrea Z (Milwaukee, WI) - See all my reviews
This review is from: ABCs (Chunky Version) (Board book)
This book is like a small collection of works of art rather than a child's book. I think it is well worth the price. It's beautifully printed. Charlie's illustrations are simple, clever, intelligent and beautiful. This book is far superior to many other children' books out there.

I'm only giving it 4 stars, unfortunately, because the binding is not the best. I received my first book and the binding was falling apart. In addition, one of the inside pages was wrinkled as it was bound to the board. So, I returned it and received a replacement book from amazon at no charge. This time the internal pages were pristine, but before I even had a chance to share it with my son, the cover came apart from the board. The binding material/glue that this publisher uses must not be of great quality.

So, four stars. It seems my case may be isolated, but since I had two books that were low quality, I'd thought I'd pass that info on. For such a beautiful and unique book, the quality should reflect that.

I'd still recommend this book. Charlie Harper was an amazing artist, and I'm so glad someone decided to share his work with our children!

4.0 out of 5 stars I is for Komodo Dragon?, November 2, 2008
This review is from: ABCs (Chunky Version) (Board book)
Really liked the book. I was disappointed on two of the illustrations. I is for Iguana shows an illustration of a Komodo Dragon, and P is for Penguin a picture of a Murre.

Picky? Absolutely, but it is a Charley Harper book. Since the illustrations are pulled from many stages of his career, the look is not as cohesive as you might hope, but I actually see that as a plus, since it has variety.

Still, 4 stars, I would buy again and have bought as gifts.

Charley Harper ABCs: Skinny Edition
Charley Harper ABCs: Skinny Edition by Charley Harper (Board book - November 1, 2008)
$9.95 $8.49