Automotive Deals Best Books of the Month Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Pink Floyd Fire TV Stick Sun Care Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer harmonquest_s1 harmonquest_s1 harmonquest_s1  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis STEM Water Sports

on November 9, 2011
I really like this book. I got it for my one year old (confession, it's for both of us) and was pleasantly surprised at the artwork. I love Charlie Harper and I'm hoping it will transpire to my little guy. My only problem with the book is that it's too short. I guess if it was bigger, though, it would be too heavy for kids.
on July 24, 2011
I received a copy of Colors from the publisher for review.

My three-year-old daughter and I read this one together. She is just learning to read and mastering all the different colors. The illustrations are vibrant and very visually pleasing. I love how the text is in the color as well, to help the child recognize the color name. The prose is easy for a beginning reader with a few more challenging words tossed in to help build vocabulary. My daughter wanted to read it over and over again!

I definitely recommend this one for toddler/preschool readers!
on December 13, 2014
Yes, we love Charley Harper's graphics. The problem is that this book is more for adults than the children for whom it is supposed to be a color-learning aid. The images often consist of multiple colors, so it's confusing, and the designs are a bit too intricate to make sense to the age group to whom it is directed. If I read this book to my son everyday, he would not know the difference between pink and blue. There are pages where the text is like, "Ladies swimming in BLUE water," but the ladies are the focal point of the page and are pink, for instance. There is a "Top Secret Experiment" that is supposed to convey the color brown, but brown is one of 5 other colors, equally represented relative to the other colors. This is a gorgeous book, but they should market it for older kids and come up with a better use for it because it is not helpful for teaching colors at all.
on December 10, 2014
Visually beautiful and great quality board book for small hands. As a parent I think introducing artists and artists works to young minds is important. Purchased for my niece and my daughter spotted it and said hey that's Charley Harper's work. Indeed.
on September 16, 2012
I wanted to start reading to my baby so we got several board books, including Colors by Charley Harper. My daughter absolutely loves this book! She is almost three months old, so she definitely has no idea what colors are, or fish, or ladies with hot pink hats, or any of that, but the repeating patterns and the high-contrast images (which occur often throughout the book) kept her interest.

We will continue to enjoy this book as she gets older. It's kind of nice, because the left pages are colored to match the color that is mentioned from the picture on the right. So, looking at the pictures, even when there is a lot going on, it is clear what color is being talked about because that color is so well-emphasized on the left.

This is a wonderful, beautifully artistic step up from other color books. I like this book because it teaches something simple (colors) in an interesting way. I think it engages the left side of the brain (essentially helping children memorize names of colors and match them with hues) and the right side of the brain (perceiving patterns and shapes in the fanciful artwork).

I highly recommend this to anyone who reads to small children; it really is excellent.
on February 23, 2015
One of my 15 month old's favorite books. He loves the high contrast images. They seem to "pop" off the pages, and he loves to touch them as we read. As a parent of a child that wants to always read books, this is one I could read over and over and not get annoyed. It's not cutesy or cartoony. It doesn't have annoying rhymes or words that are made up just so they rhyme. A great one!
on April 18, 2013
I bought this book for my 15 month old son a couple of weeks ago and it is one of his current favorites. I love that the illustrations are so interesting and beautiful. His favorite is the colorful birds on top of the pointy leaves. Now I've added other Charley Harper books to our wish list!
on July 24, 2013
lovely little book by an amazing artist and looks great in my library along with the other two books from this collection.
this is the stuff to turn kids onto. like I said, just buy it!
on February 18, 2013
In addition to the gorgeous illustrations, I like that this book includes multiple colors on one page instead of just one. That makes it enjoyable for slightly older children as well.
on June 18, 2014
The colors really capture my little ones attention. He loves to sit there and "read" them. At 16 months I know he's just babb;ing and pretending but it's still nice to see!