Charlie Countryman [Blu-ray]
Frequently Bought Together
Customers Who Bought This Item Also Bought
Top Customer Reviews
1. The original title of the movie (and the title that appears onscreen) is “The Necessary Death of Charlie Countryman”.
2. For some reason, mainstream critics tore this movie apart, perhaps because it denies easy classification. I don’t know. Whatever the reason, it doesn’t deserve the hate that was heaped on it.
3. It’s kind of a violent, drug-fueled, romantic drama wrapped in magical realism.
4. Shia LaBeouf stars in it, and I think this may be his best performance ever. LaBoeuf plays Charlie, a depressed young man who has a tendency to talk to people even after they’re dead.
5. Charlie’s dead mother tells him to take a trip to Bucharest, where he meets a cello player with a dead father and a psychotic husband. Charlie falls in love with her, and he gets drawn into her problems.
6. The guy that played Ron Weasley in the Harry Potter movies, Rupert Grint, does a good job here playing an over-eager druggie. He’s definitely not at Hogwarts anymore.
7. The movie is bafflingly good at capturing that “damn-the-consequences-I’m-in-love” feeling that young people tend to fall into.
8. The soundtrack fits the movie perfectly. The original score meshes well with tracks from Moby and M83 to keep the slightly hallucinatory, dreamy atmosphere going through the whole film.
9. The ending wraps everything up a little too neatly, but this is an oddly beautiful film that needs to be better appreciated.
Couple of comments: first, it seems that LaBeouf is trying hard to stay away from more Transformer-like predictable roles. Last year there was the excellent "Lawless", and now this. On top of that, LaBeouf looks scrungy for most of the movie, I suppose to give his role an even more authentic feel. (Along the same lines, LaBeouf reportedly took acid for real to shoot the acid hallucination scene.) Unfortunately, none of that fixes the movie's subpar script, which has holes in it the size of Manhattan and doesn't seem to know whether it wants to be a rom-com or an action/adventure movie.Read more ›
Most Recent Customer Reviews
I like this movie. You weren't on the end of your seat, but you felt for Charlie.Published 2 months ago by Amazon Customer
First time I saw it was on Netflix just stop and give the movie a chance and it is one of his best movies. Read morePublished 2 months ago by george pierson
Man I love Shia!!! He is such a good actor and although the story is a little far-fetched, it is so well done and acted and portrayed that you just cant help but stayed glued to... Read morePublished 9 months ago by flowergiggles