Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Charlie Joe Jackson's Guide to Not Reading (Charlie Joe Jackson Series)
Your Garage Summer Reading Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer WienerDog WienerDog WienerDog  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Best Camping & Hiking Gear in Outdoors

on May 21, 2012
Oh, Charlie Joe Jackson! You are a funny guy! I really enjoyed your guide to NOT reading!

What a great book! I love that it had elements of some of my favorite Middle Grade reads: The touching voice of The Wednesday Wars, the comedy of Diary of a Wimpy Kid, the silliness of Big Nate!

The advice is great...only read books with short chapters, reading won't help you succeed in life, never buy a book by someone whose name you can't pronounce (and many more awesome tips!). I also love your excellent taste in music, you keen observations of those around you: "Hurrican Eliza comin' in, the hottest hurricane in town" or "The think about dogs is, they pretty much reflect the mood in the house."

You are a smart guy, too, Charlie Joe. And I can't blame you for hating to read. Your dad really did ruin it for you when you were little. I did feel you pain! I, too, was jailed on a book-related infraction! I remember, with a shudder all these years later, being locked on the porch one Sunday afternoon and not being allowed to enter the house until I finished some Little House book that I TOTALLY HATED for a book report due Monday (I think I was allowed in to pee, but I'm not 100% sure).

But guess what! I love reading now! I even became a teacher so I could get others excited about good books! What do you think about that, Charlie Joe?

If you don't know Charlie Joe Jackson, you're going to want to meet him right away! I'm so ready for his next book, Charlie Joe Jackson's Guide to Extra Credit!
on November 17, 2013
I haven't read it, but my 6-8th grade students are raving about it. They've shown me parts of the book and think it is hilarious. Thank you, Mr. Greenwald, for giving students/kids something fun to read.
on October 30, 2012
As an adult I enjoyed the book. It is well written and the characterization was superb. However, as a teacher I was waiting for Charlie Joe Jackson to learn a lesson: he must read. The author, against my wishes, had Charlie write a book, not the lesson I was expecting. A little misguided in my opinion, because we know that reading and writing are connected!
on April 16, 2013
I have a young grandson who says he'd be happy if he didn't have to read; I bought him this book, and he was hooked. I don't know that he'll ever be one who enjoys books, but this particular book he loved and laughed his way through. "Good book, granny," he said.
on December 5, 2012
This book was a delight. I was looking for some books for the children of friends; I wanted books that were positive, humorous and "SMART". This book fit. I think it is great for young "chapter book" readers.Charlie Joe Jackson's Guide to Not Reading
on May 25, 2012
My 4th grader HATES reading for AR Points but after reading the reviews on this one, i decided to purchase it for him...he absolutely loved it. He read multiple parts of it out loud after reading to himself and deciding that it was entertaining enough to share. He read this book, without being prodded, in one week. This was certainly a great purchase!
on January 22, 2013
My son loves the diary of a wimpy kid books, and read this one once and said it was okay and had some funny parts it in. I have not read the book, but my son loves to read and did finish the book but I am not sure he will read it again
on November 21, 2012
My son liked this book. Althought I would say the message it sends is not very good. The kid goes through a few years of school not reading, making others read for him and it's OK as long as he doesn't get caught? really??
on March 10, 2016
My 5th grade class in Costa Rica (bilingual school) loved me reading aloud to them from this book. Every day they begged for another chapter! We just finished it and they want to read more! It was a lot of fun!
on June 17, 2012
My 9-yr old tore through this book. I wouldn't call my son a reluctant reader, but he's not a bookworm either. But he was a bookworm while he was reading this. He'd read it in and afternoons and evenings and was so proud of the progress he was making. He really enjoyed the characters and the pacing. Big thumbs up from the target audience! We have the next one pre-ordered!