5.0 out of 5 stars VIVE CHARLOTTE!, October 29, 2003
By A Customer
This review is from: Charlotte in Paris (Hardcover)
I've fallen in love with Charlotte all over again! Giverny, and now Paris, in the year 1893, come alive through the American Charlotte's amusing journal-a charming collection of observations, illustrations, french words and collages. As she learns about the painters around her-we learn. One can almost hear the sound of sleighs gliding through the streets of Paris on a winters night, and taste the "croquembouche"-the tower of cream puffs Charlotte alluringly descibes on Christmas Eve! Once again, Joan Knight allows the paintings of impressionists (such as Cassat, Monet, MacMonnies and more-) to help tell Charlottes story-to great success. As with all of Mrs. Knights selections, Monet's "The Magpie" is used to great effect-as Charlotte and friend Lizzy, upon their way home from making snow sculptures, stumble upon him painting a winter scene. There is no doubt that the Mrs. Knight, and the illustrator, Melissa Sweet-succeed in making Charlotte's voice very real-she is a most endearing character-one we all would love to have as friend! One can only hope Charlotte's adventures go on from Paris!

5.0 out of 5 stars exquisite visuals and text, October 16, 2003
This review is from: Charlotte in Paris (Hardcover)
I bought this book because I was a huge fan of the first Charlotte in Giverny! Being a lover of all things French, I am equally captivated by this second book in this fabulous series. The text transports the reader to a magical time in our artistic history and the "journal" style of the text is witty and wonderful to read. Each page is truley a work of art--a magical collage that makes me want to create my own scrap book. You truley get lost in Charlotte's world. I read it to my daughter every night. Bravo!

4.0 out of 5 stars Be Careful of the Cherry Clafoutis!, July 12, 2006
Lynda (Coupeville, WA United States) - See all my reviews
My daughter and I made the Cherry Clafoutis recipe on pg. 17

I thought it was a little strange that there was no flour in the recipe...it baked into a custard and didn't turn "puffy and golden" as described. I then researched Clafoutis recipes and they all had flour in them...I'm not quite sure how much to add. Maybe 2/3 cup?

Could the author let us know?

Thanks for a great book and bon appetit!

Lynda & Reilly

5.0 out of 5 stars Very Fun Books, January 25, 2014
I really enjoyed these books. I loved learning about the impressionist movement in art. These stories are told from the point of view of an American girl who's parents are studying art in France. They have a lot of fantastic illustrations, pictures of paintings, historical details, and photos. I definitely recommend these books!

5.0 out of 5 stars A treasure to share, August 19, 2014
This review is from: Charlotte in Paris (Hardcover)
I bought this book for my grand daughter in the gift shop in Monet's garden at Giverny. I love the way the different Impressionist paintings are woven into this child's life story. The historical fiction is so sweetly told from a child's everyday point of view. I was especially happy to see the works of Theodore Robinson highlighted because my great grandmother was his teacher at one time in Evansville, Wisconsin. This book is a treasure to share reading between generations!

5.0 out of 5 stars Chorlette in Paris, June 25, 2013
It is a very good book with a big idventure in side. I wold recommend it to Mia my friend

5.0 out of 5 stars Quel Magique !, June 18, 2013
Gar Hart (The Big Apple) - See all my reviews
What a wonderful and creative addition to young adult literature. I was about to write "fiction," but that
would give lesser billing to the excellent and informative visuals that accompany the charming text.
Both are grand, and flow together as seamlessly as the waters of the Seine. Bravo, ladies !

4.0 out of 5 stars Good book for kids, May 30, 2013
This review is from: Charlotte in Paris (Hardcover)
I like reading this book to my daughter and she enjoys it as well. Accurate Paris descriptions and worth buying for sure

5.0 out of 5 stars Charming, February 5, 2013
This is a charming story, great if you want to learn things about Monet and French life at that time. The drawings are beautiful, great for imagination.

5.0 out of 5 stars Charlotte in Paris, April 4, 2010
This review is from: Charlotte in Paris (Hardcover)
A great adventure book. It's a little more challenging for our first grader than our previous travel-related storybooks, but it held her attention and gave factual information in an interesting story.

Charlotte in Paris
Charlotte in Paris by Melissa Sweet (Hardcover - September 1, 2003)
$16.99 $12.93