5.0 out of 5 stars Worth the money!
Published on August 24, 2012 by Charmed Fan

1.0 out of 5 stars Discs Ruined by Glue
Published on November 20, 2008 by EBond

1.0 out of 5 stars Discs Ruined by Glue, November 20, 2008
EBond "EBond" (Ontario, Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Charmed: The Complete Series (DVD)
I purchased this set in a store. When I got it home, I went online to look at the reviews for it and noticed that people were complaining about the glue from the sleeves having come off on the discs. I pulled all of my discs out, and realized that 21 out of the 49 discs were either ruined by glue (that doesn't come off) or had scratches. I went back to the store to see if they could switch out the discs with another set. 45 minutes and 4 opened sets later I realized that every single set had this problem. To the point that I wasn't even able to make up 1 good set. Luckily I was able to purchase the "Deluxe Edition" at another store for $50 more.

This set in very nice, and would have been worth the money if there wasn't such a bad manufacturers defect. My suggestion would be to try and get your hands on a "Deluxe" set if you can afford it (It has actual snaps for the discs, so glue won't be an issue. Also it is bigger and more sturdy feeling). If this is not an option, make sure you check over every disc in the set as soon as you get it so that you can either exchange or return it if necessary. Hopefully they issue some sort of recall so that people who purchased this can get it replaced with one that is not ruined!

Update: The Deluxe set seems to have small circular scratches on the discs, but so far these scratches have not affected how any of the discs play.

3.0 out of 5 stars Charmed Complete 'Book Of Shadows' edition small, July 26, 2008
This review is from: Charmed: The Complete Series (DVD)
I've enjoyed this series for years now. I already own the box sets but I am a big enough fan to upgrade. I noticed from enlarged photos on another website that this version in addition to being smaller than the Deluxe Limited version appears to use cardboard sleeves to protect the discs. The Deluxe appears, at least in the photos to use snap on holders which I believe protect the discs from scratches better than card board. I suppose it's all in how you handle them though.

UPDATE 11/12/08- The Limited Deluxe Edition is now out of print. That is the other larger version with trays. FYI...I wanted to let you all know that someone posted pictures here of the Larger Deluxe edition. Specifically, the last three pictures are of that edition. If you order here, you will recieve the smaller (two discs high) version held onto the pages with simple slits.

UPDATE 11/19/2008- RE: Manufacturing issues

My underrstanding is that the folks at CBS DVD are aware and looking into the issues surrounding both sets.

My additional advice would be not to avoid your purchase, but rather purchase from Amazon or another trusted source who will work with you for your particular resolution if you are unlucky, as I and others unfortunately were. We are Charmed Fans and are very loyal to our favorite series. Doing without this set is just not an option for some of us, we've waited years watching special releases in various other countries. I purchased both sets and Amazon was extremely helpful at reaching a result that I could be happy with, while still allowing me the joy of owning the set(s) I had looked forward to for so long. Thank you Amazon...glad someone is looking out for the customer!

1.0 out of 5 stars Thought they would have fixed the GLUE issue by now, November 14, 2011
This review is from: Charmed: The Complete Series (DVD)
This is ridiculous. I bought this for a gift & was hoping that by now the infamous "glue issue" on the dvds would have been fixed. But no, when I opened it up, I inspected the discs and they had glue on them. Tried to play a few discs and they skipped, froze & pixelated. I am returning this item to Amazon for refund.

1.0 out of 5 stars I was SOOO disappointed, October 7, 2011
This review is from: Charmed: The Complete Series (DVD)
I love the series, loved the idea of the Book of Shadows but like others have said the DVD's were covered with glue. When I read this comment in the reviews I assumed the people had bought them from other sellers. I figured Amazon wouldn't sell this if it wasn't usable. Wrong assumption. Half the DVD's were damaged so sadly I returned the whole thing.

Don't waste your time or get your hopes up.

Susan

5.0 out of 5 stars Worth the money!, August 24, 2012
This review is from: Charmed: The Complete Series (DVD)
I have been in love with this series for a while now, and after renting all of the seasons in succession from my local video store and watching them all, I realized it was definitely time to buy my own! After perusing Amazon for the best deal (and the coolest product), I settled on this to save up for as a housewarming gift to myself when I moved into my college dorm. I made sure to read all of the reviews, and was well aware of the potential for glue damage or unworking discs, but I figured I could always return it should it prove to be a problem. While yes, a handful of the discs had some glue on them, I decided to try and find a way to correct it without having to send the whole book back. I found that if you take rubbing alcohol on a q-tip or cotton square to remove the glue streaks and then clean the discs with a CD cleaning wipe, they run like new! I was so happy because the packaging is GREAT and it was a great value. Yes, it's probably not best for the manufacturer's reputation for a consumer to have to clean up after a production error, but if you have just a little bit of time to spare, it's totally worth the money and effort! I even find that it made me more excited to have been able to fix it so simply and be proud when the unreadable discs played after I cleaned them. Two thumbs way up!

1.0 out of 5 stars I should have read the 1 star reviews, September 4, 2009
Kern David "celdrin" (Claxton Bay, Trinidad & Tobago) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Charmed: The Complete Series (DVD)
I am not one to give a bad review of anything, however if i had read the 1 star reviewa i surely would not have bought this item. Personally i love charmed but it was very disheartening to open thie package an see that every single one of the disks inside had scratches on them. The first disk absolutely refuses to play while the others freexes during various portions.

For anyone who is considering to buy this I would siggest that u look for one that has better reviews on it cause this one is not worth the money.

And unlike the other customers who had the privilage of returning theirs to get slightly better ones. I am stuck with mine because i live in another country and it will be cheeper for me to purchase the delux edition rather than send this one back to get it replaced.

1.0 out of 5 stars love it, November 19, 2008
This review is from: Charmed: The Complete Series (DVD)
Ok i love this series and i am not dis the series and the book i love it the bad part is that when i open it and took out the first DVD it had glue all over it so i look at the rest there was 15 Dvds with glue all over them i as soo mad i called and they gave me a replacement and the replacement had glue all over a few DVDS (my hubby wouldn't tell me how many) so what the store did was took the one from one set and the other set and peace it together so buy be were look at all your DvDs and that is why i only gave it one star the series is awesome just the book has some problems.

1.0 out of 5 stars Add me to the glue list, May 25, 2011
Amazon Customer (Maryland United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Charmed: The Complete Series (DVD)
Bought these as a surprise gift for my wife and nine year old daughter who have been watching the series in reruns. They love the show and I was really excited to surprise them.

Too bad the very first disc won't play. I looked and many other discs had the same scratch/glue issue.

I've sent an email to Paramount at PHE_CustomerService@paramount.com (got the address from [...]). There used to be a special toll free number for the issue, but it is no longer in service.

I'm hoping that Paramount will replace just the discs - and let me place them into the "Book of Shadows" perhaps with individual protective sleeves.

If not, I'll be returning the whole set. :( At least I tested them before showing my wife and daughter so they aren't disappointed.

Edit: I received a reply to my email and Paramount has agreed to replace the discs. Per their email: "We can replace the (discs only) because you purchased the Charmed set from Amazon directly and not a third party. We'll order your replacement discs which you should receive in about 4 weeks. No need to send us your discs." I specifically asked for the discs only in the hope that not being in the "Book of Shadows" packaging, they won't be scratched. I'm thinking about getting some clear disc notebook page holder to insert into the Book instead of reusing the cardboard slots.

Update: I just received the replacement discs. Each disc is in a paper sleeve. They appear to be in good shape. So Paramount came through! Now I just need to figure out how to store the new discs.

1.0 out of 5 stars Scratches and Glue, September 14, 2011
This review is from: Charmed: The Complete Series (DVD)
I have to say I was really disappointed when I cam to realize after I had opened the set that 4 discs were completely ruined by the glue that were on them. The last disc of season 8 doesn't even read in any DVD player. Needless to say, I completely wasted money on this purchase. Product defect I believe.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great "Book of Shadows" package is worth it and saves space, November 18, 2008
This review is from: Charmed: The Complete Series (DVD)
The show is great; you all know that. But, about this new package: I just received it today. The disks are in a "Book of Shadows" complete with drawings and pages from the book in the show. The book measures 11" x 8" x 3", about the size of a photo album (1/8 the space of 8 box sets). I think other TV-DVD sets should follow their lead. It's worth it for a true fan.

Charmed: The Complete Series
Charmed: The Complete Series by Holly Marie Combs (DVD - 2008)
$189.98 $83.57