2,788 Reviews
 (1,648)

3,159 of 3,313 people found the following review helpful
4.0 out of 5 stars It's okay, but beware of this...
I've had this card for 14 months and haven't encountered any issues. I'm a die-hard Amazon shopper, so I thought with 3 points for Amazon.com purchases, this is the card for me. Then I learned...

Published on November 17, 2012 by Mavis

1,626 of 1,742 people found the following review helpful
Published 12 months ago by Mickey789

3,159 of 3,313 people found the following review helpful
4.0 out of 5 stars It's okay, but beware of this..., November 17, 2012
Mavis (California, USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Amazon.com Rewards Visa Card (Financial Product)

The 3 points only applies to Amazon.com purchases (plus a few other categories on Amazon.com, see below). Because so much of the merchandise on Amazon's site is not from "Amazon.com", but from affiliated and third party sellers, you may find that many of your purchases made on Amazon.com aren't really "Amazon.com" and therefore don't actually qualify for the 3 points. For instance, if you see items sold by Amazon Marketplace (which is common), beware, you'll just receive 1 point per dollar spent. I was so disappointed because the fine print (pasted below) isn't explicit about this, so I feel a little misled.

One plus about this card is that you can redeem the points for statement credits (example: 5,000 points = $50 statement credit), which is a nice option if you don't want gift cards or travel-related rewards.

In case you're interested, here's the fine print:

"You will earn 3 points for each $1 of eligible net purchases made at Amazon.com (including digital downloads, Amazon.com Gift Cards, Amazon Fresh orders and Amazon Prime subscription). Purchases made at Amazon.co.uk, Amazon.de, Amazon.fr, Amazon.co.jp, Amazon.ca, or any other website operated by Amazon.com, its affiliates and subsidiaries are not eligible for 3 points."

Update (October 2013): Chase revised the language on the agreement to reflect the 3 points just as expected, without all those exclusions. Thanks Chase and Amazon!

2,560 of 2,723 people found the following review helpful
5.0 out of 5 stars Great card for Amazon purchases, read the fine print people!, November 20, 2012
This review is from: Amazon.com Rewards Visa Card (Financial Product)
Seems to be a lot of griping from people who don't understand how to read the fine print and use common sense. This is basically a store card/loyalty card Visa like many retailers offer. That being said, the interest rates are always high on these types of cards. Deal with it. Don't carry a balance. "Instant" credit approval is assumed if there is nothing in your account that needs reviewing. If you need the $30/$50 immediately to make your purchase, maybe you should rethink what you are buying. If you're getting this card, I'll bet you'll buy something from Amazon again and be able to use that gift card before long anyway...

Card Pros:
-1 point=$1 spent. $1 spent at amazon gives 3 points (3%). $1 spent elsewhere gives 1 point (1%). For me, I like it simple, no point-to-dollar conversions like the citi card.
-Card is by Chase. May be a pro/con here, but if you already have Chase accounts, this card will show up after a couple weeks in your chase.com online account. Easy to manage and make payments straight from your checking account.
-No annual fee.
-Redeem points at any time for anything sold by Amazon. Yes there is fine print, marketplace purchases can't be funded with points, neither can subscribe and save. Boo hoo. Read the terms and you won't have to post 1 star reviews whining about what's explained in the fine print you didn't bother reading before handing over all your personal information. :)

Card Cons:
-Interest rate is high. As stated above, these types of cards always have high rates. My condolences if you are under the assumption that a 13%+ rate is a good rate.

Bottom line- read the card's terms and conditions before applying, understand the rewards and how to use them, pay your bills on time, and you'll wind up with some nice rewards points to use on something fun from Amazon.

1,626 of 1,742 people found the following review helpful
1.0 out of 5 stars Beware: I didn't carry a balance, I guess Chase wasn't making enough money, so they changed the rules, December 12, 2013
Mickey789 "Mickey789" (Collegeville, PA United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Amazon.com Rewards Visa Card (Financial Product)
I had the Amazon Rewards card from Chase years ago, from about 2005 to 2007. I was one of the very first Amazon Prime members. I used this card a LOT, loved getting the 3% back, and I never kept a balance on it. Then one day, Chase informed me that they would begin charging interest from the date of purchase rather than from the end of the statement cycle. In other words, they would be treating purchases as if they were a cash advance in terms of when interest applied. Mind you, I NEVER kept a balance on the card. I called someone at Chase in disbelief, saying, "It looks like you're charging me interest from the date of sale, unlike every other card on the planet." The customer service person simply said yes, that was true (no attempt to keep me). I immediately canceled.

I spent a lot with Amazon, apparently got too much in rewards (from Chase's perspective), and paid off my balance in full every month--so I guess Chase just wasn't making enough money. I noticed the $50 off the HDX promotion today, and I checked to see whether Amazon still sullied their reputation by associating with Chase. When I saw that they did, I had to write this review. Chase, you should be ashamed. I kept up my end of the deal, but I suppose you weren't making enough money on the fees you charge Amazon alone, so you changed the rules on me to try to squeeze out a few bucks. To this day, I will not consider a Chase card or Chase banking services.

1,466 of 1,603 people found the following review helpful
5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Card Since 2006., July 6, 2012
This review is from: Amazon.com Rewards Visa Card (Financial Product)
I have been using this card since summer of 2006. I have total of 5 credit cards, but this is the only card I use to pay for everything; the other 4 cards I only use for certain stores and websites for better points. Please note that unlike Citi Forward Card, Amazon.com Rewards Visa Card gives a point for purchases at any stores and you do not have to wait for your points to be transferred.

You can also redeem your points for Amazon purchases, Amazon gift cards, restaurant gift cards, plane tickets, cash back, or have statement credit ($25.00 for 2,500 points and $50.00 for 5,000 points).

What really stands out with this card is that once or twice a year, you get card member specific deals on Amazon.com. For instance, in 2010, I was offered 20% discount on specific TVs from Amazon.com only because I was a card holder. The TV was $1,279.00 and I had received 20% discount, then I had also received $25.00 statement credit because you get 3 points for every dollar you spend at Amazon.com. In the end, I had paid only $998.20 for the TV with free shipping. Please note that the same TV was being sold for $1,279.00 at Best Buy and Target via online at the time, and the TV still functions well even to this day.

Because I use this card for everything, I have had couple of unauthorized charges on this card during the 7 years of use; who knows which merchant or stores kept my card number... For both times, however, Chase Customer Service was nice enough to refund the unauthorized charges, cancel the card and send me brand new cards via UPS overnight.

There were also few other instances where I had received 3 points for not just Amazon purchase, but for all other purchases during certain 3 months summer promotions.

For certain users, this card may not work because you do not earn points for such as mortgage payments or other bank to bank financial transactions. In my case, I always pay my monthly statement balance and do not use the APR rates offered or balance transfers.

If you make most of your purchase from Amazon.com and pay your monthly balance and do not use APR rates or balance transfers, then you would most benefit from using this card as I have since summer of 2006.

1.0 out of 5 stars Deceptive practice, July 10, 2013
This review is from: Amazon.com Rewards Visa Card (Financial Product)
My wife had this card and for reasons not germane to this review, had been carrying a balance. When she managed to sign up several clients in quick succession in her business, we decided to pay off this card and close the account. She paid off the entire balance nine days before the payment due date. In the Terms and Conditions, in a section titled, "How to Avoid Paying Interest on Purchases", it clearly states, "We will not charge you periodic interest on purchases if you pay your entire balance by the due date each month." Yet when a new statement was posted a few weeks later, interest on purchases was being charged to the account, contrary to the Terms and Conditions statement.

We prepared a document with cut/pastes from the Terms and Conditions and the current and previous statements and called Chase two days later to dispute the interest charges. As soon as we questioned the charges, without even getting a chance to cover the points in our prepared document, we were told that since she has been a customer in good standing, they were going to wipe the charges off the account and complete the closing of the account.

Credit card companies very rarely rescind charges that are legitimately owed to them. Obviously I can't prove intent but I'm VERY suspicious that these charges were applied with the idea that less attentive people will simply pay them. As soon as it appears to them that you've actually read the Terms and Conditions, they appear gracious by wiping out the charges.

Beware.

5.0 out of 5 stars A must, May 24, 2012
This review is from: Amazon.com Rewards Visa Card (Financial Product)
First, Amazon gives you $50 to get the card (free money at Amazon!). Second, no fee. Third, you earn 1%, 2%, or 3% on purchases which is more than I can get on my other cards. Easy Chase website for looking purchases and making payments. I love the bigger rewards!

1.0 out of 5 stars Fraud protection doesn't cover reward points!, August 25, 2013
This review is from: Amazon.com Rewards Visa Card (Financial Product)
In general, I have been satisfied with the card, and I use the points for Christmas shopping. However, a few months ago, someone opened a new Amazon account with my card number, and used my saved points to purchase $80 worth of stuff from Amazon Marketplace, without any notice to me or any mention on my bill. When I finally noticed this, I spent hours on the phone with both Chase and Amazon, and in the end, neither company seems to think that this is their problem. Chase says that I have to take it up with Amazon. Amazon says that I have to take it up with Chase. Either way, I'm out $80 for purchases I didn't make, and because they were made with reward points, they don't fall under the standard "dispute a fraudulent charge" rules.

1.0 out of 5 stars Chase has very serious privacy issues, May 18, 2014
This review is from: Amazon.com Rewards Visa Card (Financial Product)
Most of my online purchases are done through Amazon. Because of this I decided to get the Chase Amazon rewards card to get the reward points to save on some of my purchases. When I received the card I started using it with no problems. I paid the bills on time and enjoyed using the reward points. Then I get a letter from Chase with a submission form to the Social Security Administration to access my records. Failure to submit this form would result cancellation of my card. While asking for your Social Security number is a necessary evil we have to put up with in this date and time, demanding access to our records crosses a line. When I call Chase they told me this is requested from all of its card holders. I told them I had another Chase card and they had never requested this type of information from me. They said it was a different type of card. So it's not done for all of its card holders. I also asked why was this information not requested at the beginning of the application process? Why did they wait almost a year before sending me this Social Security form? I was not given an answer. So now the card is canceled. I will continue to use Amazon. I love the service they provided. The only thing I would like to request is that they would look into to this issue. While I "will not give up my freedom for security", I will not give up my security for convenience.

2.0 out of 5 stars Rewards aren't that great, May 26, 2012
Jeff (NY,NY USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Amazon.com Rewards Visa Card (Financial Product)
If you're looking for a rewards card for Amazon purchases then you should think about the Citi Forward card instead of this one. The Citi Forward card gives you 5 pts for every $1 spent on Amazon purchases (which I've verified) while Amazon's own card only gives 3 pts.

The only caveat with the Citi Forward card is that each point doesn't equal 1 cent. It comes out to about .63 of a cent per point if you convert to cash. (which still makes it better than this card) Also, if you spend your rewards on student loans (doesn't have to be with Citi) or mortgage (has to be with Citi), then they do a full pt = 1 cent conversion. That would effectively make the Citi Forward a 5% off Amazon if you are a graduate paying down student loans or a home owner with Citi. The Forward card also has the benefit of 5 pts for dining and a promotional $100 in gift cards if you spend $650 within the first 3 months.

This Amazon card is nice for the free $50 (it was lower before), but it doesn't even reward you with cash. (not a huge deal if you spend a lot on Amazon, but it's not the best reward)

This card needs to have 5 pts for Amazon purchases or it's just not worth using.

5.0 out of 5 stars Approved, received gift card, and out the door in 10 minutes, December 16, 2012
Deacs1234 (Baltimore, MD USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Amazon.com Rewards Visa Card (Financial Product)
I applied for the card after seeing the $50 gift card promo. Was approved in less than 30 seconds, the $50 was deposited into my account, and I was out the door with the discount less than 3 minutes later. Can't beat that.

I'm not sure what planet some of these people are living on, but being declined for the card does not make the card a bad product. There are literally 1,000's of pages of regulations that credit card issuers have to follow...I assure you this isn't a scam. I don't normally write reviews, but people giving poor reviews because they were declined due to bad credit is crazy.