4.0 out of 5 stars Enchanting Review: Chasing Brooklyn
Simon Pulse

Rating: 4 Enchantments

Published on February 22, 2010 by Enchanting Reviews

3.0 out of 5 stars Finding Courage, Acceptance, and Brooklyn... [3.5 Stars]
Having read and enjoyed 'I heart you, You haunt me' all I needed to see was Lisa Schroeder's name to know I wanted to read 'Chasing Brooklyn', which is another book written in verse and set in the same location as the former. Ava, the protagonist from 'I heart you, You haunt me' even makes a cameo appearance.

'Chasing Brooklyn' is the story of two grieving...
Published on April 6, 2010 by T. Adlam

3.0 out of 5 stars Finding Courage, Acceptance, and Brooklyn... [3.5 Stars], April 6, 2010
This review is from: Chasing Brooklyn (Hardcover)
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)

'Chasing Brooklyn' is the story of two grieving teenagers and their path to healing. A year after the death of Lucca, Brooklyn's boyfriend and Nico's brother, his best friend Gabe dies under suspicious circumstances (many speculate that it was suicide). That's when Brooklyn starts having nightmares starring Gabe as the villain and Lucca begins haunting Nico.

I went into this book expecting another heartrending, yet beautiful read, but when compared to 'I heart you, You haunt me', some of the sections in Chasing Brooklyn felt contrived rather than part of the natural grieving process. I also expected more to happen with the haunting of Brooklyn and Nico respectively. In the end, the hauntings were more side thoughts.

Those complaints aside, this was still a beautiful book with an ethereal quality to it. Because of the short, punchy, and often evocative sentences, this was a very quick read. The story development between Brooklyn and Nico, unfolding via alternating chapters from each of their perspectives, was sweet if a bit predictable. Halfway through the book, it was easy to figure out what was going to happen, but sometimes it's not about the destination, but the journey--and so is the case with this book.

I wish I could say I adored this book as much as 'I heart you, You haunt me' but I can't. I did enjoy it, but at times I was pulled out of the story and felt an emotional disconnect from the characters. Still, this was an emotionally moving story. It's mild in sex, drugs, violence, and coarse language. (In fact, I believe only one or two curse words were used within the entire book.) It also stresses the importance of forgiveness and courage to move forward in the most difficult of times. This is a book I would have no problem recommending.

4.0 out of 5 stars Enchanting Review: Chasing Brooklyn, February 22, 2010
CHASING BROOKLYN
LISA SCHROEDER
YA contemporary
Simon Pulse

Rating: 4 Enchantments

Brooklyn's life comes crashing to a halt after her boyfriend Lucca's death. It's been a year now. Lucca's friend Gabe has just died of an overdose. His ghost haunts her dreams. She doesn't know what Gabe wants and why he's bothering her. She can't sleep.

Nico is Lucca's brother. His way of dealing with Lucca's death is by running. Then one day he finds a note telling him to help Brooklyn. He feels that Lucca is haunting him. Even worse, he doesn't know how to help Brooklyn considering he hasn't seen her in the year since Lucca's death.

Brooklyn's nightmares escalate. So do the notes to Nico. Nico decides to reach out, not knowing what to say to his brother's girlfriend. Both are being haunted but struggle with telling each other. But until they can trust again, neither Gabe nor Lucca can rest in peace.

I loved this novel! Yes, this story deals with spirits but it doesn't read like any other paranormal novel out there. Schroeder nailed it right on the dot on what a loved one feels after the tragic death of a loved one. I loved how she was able to weave back and forth two points of view effortlessly. Both voices are unique in showing how Lucca's death has affected them and how at first they avoid coming to grips with their feelings. Powerful and strong, this novel sweeps the reader into not only the tragic sense of loss but how two individuals are able to reach out to each other.

The free verse in this novel has its own special beauty too. Each beat resonates with the reader on how painful it is to lose someone you love. Schroeder digs deep and shows a range of emotions that come from loss. But it doesn't stop there. The book also shows how faith and trust can be a healing balm.

A must read for Schroeder fans.

Lisa Schroeder is the author of I HEART YOU, YOU HAUNT ME and FAR FROM YOU. Lisa lives in Oregon with her husband and two sons. Read more on her at her website [...].

Kim Baccellia
ENCHANTING REVIEWS
January 2010

3.0 out of 5 stars Saving each other, a sweet ghost story..., March 2, 2010
This review is from: Chasing Brooklyn (Hardcover)
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Teen girls and reluctant readers will enjoy this book written in free verse. The sparse language and lack of descriptive detail keep the story moving forward and also bring out the emotions experienced by the characters in a more stark manner than does the typical novel written in prose.

This story, told in alternating voices, is about Brooklyn and Nico -- both are being "haunted" and experience visions and visits. Nico by Brooklyn's boyfriend and his brother Lucca and she by Lucca's friend Gabe. The two boys are dead -- Lucca in a car wreck and Gabe a suicide. Both are trying to pass along an important message to Brooklyn and Nico -- to choose life instead of wallowing in solitude and despair.

Although a bit contrived and predictable, the journey that each takes is a bittersweet effort to reconnect with friends and family. Brooklyn and Nico learn that the path to happiness involves making choices to stay involved and active in the world without staying constantly in the past. It's about getting over a terrific and horrible loss, and somehow finding peace and the desire to go on despite the pain and grief.

Recommended for high school libraries.

4.0 out of 5 stars Angieville: CHASING BROOKLYN, December 1, 2010
This review is from: Chasing Brooklyn (Hardcover)
I love this cover. And I love the title. And I just really love this book. I'm so glad some thoughtful reader nominated it for a Cybils award this year, because I honestly don't think I would have picked it up otherwise. And I have no good reason for that except I think I somehow got the mistaken impression it was just another problem novel and I wasn't in the mood. Shame on me for making my ignorant assumptions and not giving this lovely novel a try before now. CHASING BROOKLYN is Lisa Schroeder's third novel for young adults but the first that I've read. I'm happy to say it will definitely not be the last! Interestingly, it's billed as a companion novel to Schroeder's earlier I Heart You, You Haunt Me. I believe it features a couple of side characters from that book, but I found no trouble at all falling into this story without having read the first. It stands very strongly on its own two feet. I haven't read a really good novel in verse in quite awhile and I just adore them when they're well done. CHASING BROOKLYN is a perfect example of a novel in verse that is lyrically light on its feet, but pulsing with that breathtakingly uncertain blend of loss, longing, and love.

It's been a year since Brooklyn's boyfriend Lucca died in a car crash. One year since it became difficult to draw breath in and out every day, to get up every single day and make food for herself and her dad and then eat it, to go to school and pretend she's fine and not coming apart at the seams. To the outside world--her worried friends, her lonely father, her faraway mother and little brothers--she puts on a bright face. In her journal each day and in frequent letters to Lucca, she pours out the grief that consumes her. A talented artist, Brooklyn has all but forgotten her work. That creative spark seems to have dwindled in the past year until now it barely exists at all. And she wonders whether or not it is possible to recover from such loss. Maybe she never will. Nico has spent the last year mourning the death of his beloved brother. Lucca was always the golden boy--Mom and Dad's favorite, bright and shining and full of life. And the two brothers were best friends. Now it's just Nico. And their house is filled with silences he doesn't want to face. So Nico runs. And runs. He runs so fast and so far, like he's training for the race of his life. And then one day a message. Just a whisper. Barely discernible but there. "Make sure Brooklyn is okay." Nico is confused and afraid he's beginning to hallucinate. Surely Brooklyn is just fine by now. She looks fine every day at school. She doesn't look like she needs her dead boyfriend's older brother checking up on her at all. But Nico can't ignore the messages as they keep coming, more and more insistently. And so he finds himself reluctantly chasing Brooklyn.

What a simply lovely story is here. CHASING BROOKLYN is a surprisingly gentle, swallow-in-a-single-gulp read that left me smiling and feeling as though the sun had just come out after a particularly dreary day. One of my favorite things about it is there are no bad guys, no snide caricatures, no backstabbing or flashy, disingenuous "best friends." There is just honesty and unhappiness, kindness and real affection. Having lost loved ones myself, Brooklyn and Nico's experiences washed over me with the unmistakable rush of authenticity. The hint of the paranormal sets up several heart-pounding moments, but the focus remains steadily on how real people in the here and now reach out to each other and are able to build hope from the shared experience of loss. Here are a couple of my favorite entries:

***

Sat., Jan. 7th--Brooklyn:

In a funeral home

there's no cross to give you hope.
There's no bible to give you peace.
There's no minister to assure you all is well.

In a funeral home . . .

There are still flowers which I love.
There are still people who I know.
There is still death which I hate.

In a funeral home . . .

There is a family without a son.
There is a band without a guitarist.
There is a school without a classmate.

In a funeral home . . .

There is a coffin with a boy.

Sun., Jan. 15th--Nico:

Spaghetti Sunday

is my favorite day of the month.
The third Sunday of every month,
Ma makes a big batch of spaghetti with meatballs,
and relatives fill our house like fish fill a net
on a good fishing day.
The guys eat and watch football or basketball or baseball,
depending on the season,
while the girl eat
and talk births or weddings or funerals
depending on the month.
Ma's spaghetti slid into Lucca's heart as a toddler
and never left.
I know when she makes it,
she thinks of him,
how he'd come in and ask for a sample of sauce
as it simmered on the stove.
She'd fill a wooden spoon just for him.
He'd slurp the sauce.
She'd reach up and wipe his chin.
He'd say, "Perfection, Ma."
She'd smile, looking at him, and say, "Yes. It is."
I always wondered,
did he know she wasn't talking
about the sauce?

***

Hard not to like them after reading those, isn't it? Both of these kids were so clear in my head from the very beginning. I could smell the spaghetti sauce bubbling in Nico's kitchen. I could hear the click of the door closing as Brooklyn said an empty goodnight to her father once again. I loved Brooklyn's and Nico's journal entries and how they articulated the ways in which grief shaped their lives in the year after losing Lucca. It's easy to want the best for both of them. And it's impossible to resist Nico's halting efforts to find Brooklyn and help her in whatever way he can. The boy is a keeper if ever there was one. CHASING BROOKLYN is a sweet and haunting story and absolutely one that should not be missed.

5.0 out of 5 stars A captivating verse novel!, May 7, 2010
This review is from: Chasing Brooklyn (Hardcover)
Lisa Schroeder's Chasing Brooklyn is a moving novel that follows two individuals as they find themselves drawn together by a shared loss. Told in verse from alternating points of view, this compelling story follows Brooklyn and Nico as they attempt to navigate their way around the hole Lucca's death left in each of their lives. A year after Lucca's death, the unexpected loss of a friend brings Brooklyn's heartache back to the surface and leaves her feeling haunted. Nico has always known he couldn't fill his brother Lucca's place within his family, and he still finds himself running away from the emptiness that he can't seem to fill. Both narratives are written in very accessible verse, and once again Lisa Schroeder manages to cut straight to the emotional core of the heartache holding each of the main characters captive. The story is suspenseful, romantic, and emotionally captivating. I thoroughly enjoyed Chasing Brooklyn.

What I Liked:
- The alternating perspectives helped propel the story forward and made me long for Nico and Brooklyn to connect with one another from the very start. Glimpsing each of their individual thoughts and realizing how much they could both benefit from opening up to one another added a compelling level of tension to the story.
- It was easy to sympathize with Nico and Brooklyn. My heart truly ached for them both. They are believable characters, and each of their verse-style narratives is remarkably clear and easy to follow.
- The suspenseful elements of this book are well-crafted. At times, I found myself on the edge of my seat with butterflies in my stomach as I wondered how the story would end.
- The paranormal aspect of this novel has a sinister feel to it as Brooklyn is haunted and pursued by the ghost of her recently-deceased friend. Eerie and frightening.
- I enjoyed the roll Ava (the protagonist from Lisa Schroeder's first verse novel) played in Chasing Brooklyn. It was a small but lovely part, and it was nice to see her supportive gesture passed along by the end of the novel.
- As in I Heart You, You Haunt Me, feelings of loss and guilt are at the core of this book, but the overall tone is not one of despair and hopelessness. Chasing Brooklyn is also a longer, spookier, and more romantic story.

What I Wished:
- I still wanted a little bit more at the end. The novel definitely feels complete, but I liked Nico and Brooklyn so much that I was reluctant to let either of them go even after the main plot points were resolved. Basically, I was ready to start reading this book again the moment I set it down.

Chasing Brooklyn is a beautiful and memorable story about the bravery it takes to move forward and embrace life after losing someone you love. If you liked I Heart You, You Haunt Me, then you absolutely MUST read this book! It is a companion novel rather than a sequel, so you can also enjoy Chasing Brooklyn without having read I Heart You, You Haunt Me. I would recommend Chasing Brooklyn to anyone who likes contemporary/paranormal YA and to anyone who is intrigued by the idea of a verse novel. It is a fast, compelling read, so it would also be a great choice for reluctant readers.

5.0 out of 5 stars GreenBeanTeenQueen Reviews, January 25, 2010
This review is from: Chasing Brooklyn (Hardcover)
About the Book: Brooklyn's boyfriend Lucca died a year ago. And now her friend Gabe has died of an overdose. Brooklyn is loosing sleep and being haunted by Gabe in her dreams.

Nico lost his brother Lucca and is trying to escape the pain. But when Lucca starts to leave him messages to help Brooklyn, Nico and Brooklyn find themselves being drawn to each other and having to face emotions that have been buried. They just need to learn to let each other in.

GreenBeanTeenQueen Says: I LOVED IT!! I really enjoy novels in verse and I think Lisa Schroeder writes them beautifully, but she blew me away with Chasing Brooklyn. This is a book you'll want multiple copies of-one to keep and one to pass around to friends.

The novel is told in alternating voices-Brooklyn and Nico's. I wasn't sure how this would work with a novel in verse, especially since each alternating part was short to start. But Lisa Schroeder pulled it off and gave Brooklyn and Nico distinct voices and soon I was swept up in both stories.

I was so drawn into the book I couldn't put it down. I stayed up waaay past my bedtime to finish this one. (That's what I get starting this one thinking "I'll just read a little bit before I fall asleep...) It's a book that has such gorgeous lyrical writing you just want to get lost in the words.

Chasing Brooklyn is an emotional read and the journey the reader takes with Brooklyn and Nico is one that will stick with you. You'll want to keep this one around for multiple re-reads because these are characters you won't want to leave behind. Yes, it's a ghost story, but most of all it's a love story and a beautiful tale about two people who need each other to heal. Both Brooklyn and Nico are hurting and you feel their pain and want to reach in and help them. Their journey to each other is heartwrenching and heartwarming at the same time.

There's a cameo from a character in I Heart You, You Haunt Me. Chasing Brooklyn isn't a sequel, but takes place in the same school. I re-read I Heart You, You Haunt Me before I read Chasing Brooklyn, but that's not necessary. Lisa ties the two novels together nicely and reader's won't be lost if they haven't read the first one. (Although really, you should read that one too-it's also amazing!)

Chasing Brooklyn is easily one of my favorite reads of 2010 and earns a place in my top books of all time. I think it's Lisa's best book and I can't wait for more.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very Good Book!!!!!, May 18, 2010
Chasing Brooklyn

In the book Chasing Brooklyn it involves a girl named Brooklyn. Brooklyn has had many people leave her in her life and she wasn't ready for some important people to leave her. She went into a slight depression until someone who was somewhat close to her, Nate, helped her get through her latest problem. Nate was such a good friend to Brooklyn because he knew what Brooklyn was going through. They had entered themselves in a triathlon. This was not only a physical race but an emotional race for them.

I think that this book was a good book because it was an easy read. This book might look big from the outside but it is actually such an easy quick read that you would enjoy it. Some bad things about the book are that I think the book could have been formatted differently so that it might have been an easier read. Some good things about the book are that I liked how it switched point of views each chapter to show the similarities and differences of Brooklyn and Nate. To me I think that this would be a good book for people in middle school grades such as sixth, seventh, and eighth grade. Chasing Brooklyn will hook you in and drag you into the lives of two different people that will revel to you a shocking twist.

5.0 out of 5 stars So good. Don't miss this YA novel written in verse!, October 16, 2011
This review is from: Chasing Brooklyn (Paperback)
Chasing Brooklyn is the companion novel to I Heart You, You Haunt Me about a girl named Brooklyn who tragically loses her boyfriend Lucca in a car accident and then a year later his best friend Gabe from a drug overdose. The pain and guilt is almost too much for Brooklyn to bear, especially when Brooklyn is haunted in her dreams by Gabe. Nico, Lucca's brother, also is having a difficult time handling the deaths and he too is haunted, but not by Gabe. Lucca has a specific job for him - to help Brooklyn. The question is, how is he supposed to do that, especially when she finds it so difficult to open up to him? Chasing Brooklyn is a mesmerizing novel about love, loss, and healing. A fast, easy read, do not miss this one, but I recommend you read I Heart You, You Haunt Me first, even though it isn't at all necessary to follow the story. It's just that these YA verse novels are so, so goooooooood!

4.0 out of 5 stars Book Harbinger: Lovely, February 26, 2011
This review is from: Chasing Brooklyn (Hardcover)
One year ago Brooklyn lost her boyfriend Lucca. Now it's his friend Gabe who's died. If her still painful and raw grief wasn't enough, his death has made the small sane part of her snap. Worst of all, Gabe, not Lucca, is now haunting her dreams. Instead of his human self it's a gray-skinned, red-eyed Gabe on a relentless chase after her.

It's also been a year since Nico lost his brother, Lucca. The only way he knows how to deal with the loss is to run - literally. But he can't run forever, and it's looks like his problems will catch up to him unless he heeds his own ghost, Lucca, whose messages to help Brooklyn are becoming more desperate.

There's so much that is beautiful in this haunting story of loss and grief. As novels dealing with death tend to do, Chasing Brooklyn reminded me of how the experience can have many similarities with other loss novels on the surface but can still be its own original work, exploring something very human and universal in a totally different, but right way. There is also so much that I loved, starting with the eerie, blue-green cover and the reaching hand. I loved the journal-entry format, which fit the free verse well. The sparse, emotional verse also seems very appropriate for a story about void. Most of all I loved struggling Brooklyn and damaged Nico, whose pain was palpable and felt true to life. These two go from training partners, to friends, to "it's complicated"and more, and I enjoyed every sad, confused and sweet minute of it. As you can guess neither wants Nico to be the second-best replacement of Lucca, and that's the root of the conflict. If you're looking to try a novel in free verse please pick up Chasing Brooklyn. It is absolutely lovely and I thank Angie for adding it to my stack. I'm anxiously awaiting my copy of the companion novel I Heart You, You Haunt Me.

4.0 out of 5 stars Chasing Brooklyn by Lisa Schroeder Review, August 16, 2010
This review is from: Chasing Brooklyn (Hardcover)
This is a book that is both heart breaking and breath taking all at once. There is so much pain in Brooklyn and Nico's life after Lucca dies and then his good friend Gabe soon after, that at times it was hard to read. Brooklyn lost her first love and someone she considered to be her soul mate. Nico lost his brother and best friend all at once. I honestly can't imagine and I don't want to try. But through Lisa Schroeder's powerful verse I feel like I was taken on a journey that was both eye opening and good for the soul.

A year after Lucca's death, Gabe ends his life. People believed the guilt he felt over being the driver of the car the night of the accident that killed Lucca was too much for him to live with. Shortly after Gabe's death, Brooklyn starts dreaming of Gabe and not in a comforting way. It's like he's visiting her in her dreams to send a message and not a gentle, soothing one, she's terrified. She's having these awful nightmares and doesn't seem to understand what he's trying to say to her, if he's trying to tell her anything at all. At the same time Lucca visits Nico and begins asking him to "help" Brooklyn, with no further details or any kind of explanation. And so the the story really begins. The journey these two take is remarkable and life changing. I could try my best to describe it but I would fall terribly short and would not do the book, or Schroeder justice.

To deal with her grief, Brooklyn writes letters to Lucca, beautiful, pleading, heartfelt letters. Sometimes I'd get to a page where she'd write one asking for his help and it would just break my heart; she felt so alone and missed him so much. Watching Nico and hearing his side of things was also both wonderful and terrible. He was struggling just like Brooklyn, but in different ways. He too felt like he was on his own, his parents were in no state to offer him much support when they were having trouble themselves with the loss of their son, so he attempted to put on a good front around them, tried to lessen the burden on them. So seeing Nico latch onto a purpose, to help Brooklyn at Lucca's request and together their training for the "finish line" was inspiring.

Like I said at the beginning, this story was both heart breaking and breath taking and it has instantly been placed on my 2010 favorites list and will be added to my collection for all time.

Chasing Brooklyn
Chasing Brooklyn by Lisa Schroeder (Hardcover - January 5, 2010)
$15.99 $12.88