Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Chasing Mavericks [Blu-ray]
Safety Month BOTMKT Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Eli Paperboy The best from Bose just got wireless Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks STEM Amazon Cash Back Offer AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis Best Camping & Hiking Gear in Outdoors

Format: Blu-ray|Change

TOP 500 REVIEWERVINE VOICEon November 18, 2012
IMO SLEEPER MOVIE OF THE YEAR - PG and awesome!

DISCLAIMER: I lived in Santa Cruz 1987-1992. I do not pretend to be a surfer, because I am not one. I have, however, done a lot of body surfing and body boarding (boogie boarding) in Hawaii and Santa Cruz. Plus as a marine biologist I have spent considerable amounts of time near, in, and on the ocean. With that being said...

"Chasing Mavericks" is probably the best surfing movie I have ever seen. This biopic of young Jay Moriarity and his mentor Frosty Hesson delves into the psyche and spiritual basis of surfing better than any other surfing movie.

Gerard Butler turns in a stellar performance as the sage surfer who reluctantly agrees to train a teenager to surf one of the most dangerous waves in the world - Mavericks.

To "get" this movie you have to understand this wave.

Mavericks is surf break just north of Half Moon Bay, CA. It breaks only when the surge is big enough and comes from the right direction. Most offshore breaks occur over reefs that are 20 feet deep or less (e.g., Pipeline, on the north shore of Oahu), but the reef at Mavericks is twice that deep. This means that it takes a huge wave to break there.

In addition to the deep reef at Mavericks, there is an unusual underwater rock formation that helps big waves set up and break. There is a sloping ramp of rock that approaches the shallow water inshore. The water to the right and left of this ramp is deep. The shallower water slows a wave, makes it stand up, and then plunge over explosively. The deep water on either side keeps the focus of the wave in one location.

This combination of factors produces waves that can be 20-80' feet tall, and is one of the most dangerous places to surf in the world. There are only a few places in the world with waves in this size class. OK, back to the movie.

Young Jay Moriarity, like just about every other surfer along the central California coast those days had heard rumors of a giant wave, but it was dismissed largely as myth. One day though, Jay discovers someone who rides that wave - Frosty Hesson - and Jay sees the wave and Frosty and his surfing partners ride the wave at Mavericks. It takes some doing, but Frosty is finally convinced to train Jay for Mavericks.

This movie is about what it takes to prepare not to ride a wave like Mavericks, but how to increase your chances of surviving it. That preparation requires physical, mental, spiritual, etc., development.

There is a good dose of surfing in the movie, and while there is a strong mental and spiritual component to the movie, it does not come across as eclectic or preachy. it's just downright amazing!

The sheer force and presence of the wave is awe-inspiring, and the willingness and ability of a small handful of big-wave surfers who challenge it and ride it are beyond impressive. It borders the miraculous.

I mean, I've been held down by a waves in the 6-8' range in Hawaii, so it's nearly impossible to imagine the amount of force in a wave the size of Mavericks. It's a wave that you feel more than you hear or see it. Sheer power!

This is a movie experience not to be missed!

5 stars all the way, and I'll be buying a copy of this movie ASAP.
44 comments|152 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 7, 2012
Well done! Can't wait for it to come out on Blu-Ray! I am so glad that I got to see this movie on the big screen. It didn't stay in the theaters very long. Too bad for that since it was a beautiful, inspiring, humorous, emotional (a few tears) and well done movie about surfing and relationships. If you only like coastal northern California's beautiful scenery and wave action that would be enough to enjoy this movie. Add the real life story line of a father-son mentorship of Frosty Hesson and Jay Moriarity and this become so much more. My friends and family loved this movie. Gerard Butler did a fantastic job in portraying Frosty and braved huge waves to show audiences the powerful, dangerous side of surfing.....he almost drowned during the filming. This movie deserves multiple viewings and will make a great gift. Hope the DVD has a lot of extras attached!

March 4, 2013........Well it is a few months later and I finally received the Bluray! Absolute blown away with the photography, sound and extraordinary effort in making this movie. The Incredible extra features have made this movie even better than watching it the first time!
on February 26, 2013
So, yes, this movie version of Jay's life starts out like the Karate Kid, the grouchy older guy teaching the "kid" all those life lessons complete with the bullies and the messed up Mom, but this movie is more than all this typical stuff. Why? because they somehow managed to capture the spirit of Jay Moriarity, a young man whose smile Johnny Weston, who played him, managed to capture. This is a movie about a nice young man, even the "bully" is won over (without getting "beat" up), who went for his dream and made it happen. I've been lucky enough to have actually been to Mavericks as a spectator (2008, and things were pretty crazy), and in the '60's I actually surfed long boards at the Wedge (Newport) and Little Corona right after the quake in Alaska, but those waves I ended up under were nothing to what I saw at Mavericks. I gave this movie 4 stars because the real story of Jay's life and his relationship with Frosty didn't need the whole Karate Kid type angle. No sex, no bad words, no violence, this is a movie about a young man striving for something he really wants to achieve, and yes, the end will leave you with a lump in your throat and maybe tears but watch it with your family. And, then, check out the Mavericks and look up Jay, they still love him in Santa Cruz and Half Moon Bay. Oh, watch out for those sneaker waves, they will get you.
on February 14, 2013
I took my whole family to see this movie when it was at the theaters and we all really liked it. It was not at the theaters very long and I cannot understand why. I have surfed in the past and have always had a fascination with Mavericks. We liked the story and really liked the surf scenes. Good wholesome movie--maybe that is why it was not a theaters long.
on December 5, 2012
I've found that many of the "sleeper" type movies turn out to be awesome films. I'm far from being a professional movie critic, but I enjoy films that are exciting and inspirational. Chasing Mavericks was no exception. Great movie and I am looking forward to the Blu Ray release.
on December 4, 2012
I saw this movie several times. I had no idea that there were waves that high off the California coast at times. To see it on the big screen made one realized the courage of these men that dared to surf them. Fantastic!!!
It's a great movie and it tells the story of real persons. The height and the incredible force of the ocean is beautiful if you're not in it. It was a great story and the actors were very real in their portrayals. (And yes I'm going to buy the DVD's and give some to my family.
on December 19, 2012
This movie is based on a true story that will inspire the audience. Jay Moriarity (Jonny Weston) is raised by a single mom (Elizabeth Shue) who is never around. He almost died of drowning when he was younger and Frosty Hesson (the local surfing legend) saved him. Since that day, Jay follows Frosty Hesson (Gerard Butler) and notices that Frosty often goes out very early in the morning. One day, Jay follow Frosty to see what he's doing out so early in the morning. On this trip Jay discovers the secret place where some of the local surfer legends surf. Frosty tells him that the biggest wave will come to this spot one day. He asks Frosty to help him train to ride the biggest waves. During the training process many life events happen and it turns out that Jay is helping Frosty as much as Frosty is helping him. They build a father and son bond.

This movie has so many different emotions. There are the relationships between a Jay and his mom, Jay and his first crush, Jay and his best friend and Jay and his father-figure neighbor. There is so much awesome footage of the waves and the surfing culture that the audience can really enjoy watching while learning. The music is so perfect for all the scenes, especially with the skateboarders and surfers. The scenes of the 80s and the small town lifestyle is awesome to see. The special effects in this movie are above average. The big wipe out captured in this movie is like no other picture I've seen. The message in this movie is never give up. Sometimes it is so much work to achieve your goals, but if you practice everyday, you will be better than yesterday. My favorite characters are Jay and Frosty. Jay is so friendly and never hold grudges; he always forgives. Frosty is a great surfer with a big heart. I rank this movie 5 out of 5 stars. I recommend this for ages 7 and up. Cheyenne N, KIDS FIRST! Film Critic.

I recently watched Chasing Mavericks and really enjoyed it. I saw it with my mom and she even cried in some parts; everyone needs a good movie to cry in sometimes. Throughout this entire movie, I obsessed over the main character, Jay Moriarity (Jonny Weston.) He is just so adorable in the whole movie. I did a little research on the story; and it is pretty accurate. I have never really watched movies primarily filmed in water, but I think it makes the acting and storyline more intense, which I like.

This movie is about a fifteen-year-old boy name Jay Moriarity who, since he was eight, has been passionate about waves and surfing. It all starts when he was timing the swell of the waves to determine how large they were and fell in. His later mentor, Frosty (Gerard Butler) saved him and ever since he is always in the water. One day Jay hops onto Frosty's truck and follows him to a place where he sees the biggest waves existing - known to be a myth, the Mavericks. Jay begs Frosty to train him to surf the Mavericks. Frosty agrees and they spend everyday intensely training. Jay has had a hard life; his dad left him, and he acts as a mother to his struggling mother. But, he is very optimistic - which is inspiring. This movie portrays Jay as a good role model, showing how to find happiness in spite of everything.

I have now seen this movie twice because it was so good! I probably will soon watch it again. All of the acting is great, and from researching the cast I found out that the main character Jonny Weston (Jay Moriarity) is a new actor. He was amazing in this movie. Even though this movie is based on a true story, it feels unreal because the life of Jay is inspiring, and hard to believe that someone could be that positive. Also there is a good soundtrack. It is the first movie where I actually noticed the sound track. Usually it does not jump out at me, but this time it does. I give this movie five out of five stars because it held my attention the entire time. I recommend it for ages six and up because smaller children might get bored by a long movie Victoria B., KIDS FIRST! Film Critic

The surf is up and we are heading to the ocean for this amazing movie. The movie, based on the real life experience of Jay Moriarty, played by new-comer Jonny Weston. Jay moves to Santa Cruz, California when he is 9 and learns to surf from a boy he befriends. He is drawn to the waves and the ocean. He counts the seconds between the breakers for fun. Once he learns to surf and has made a name for himself as a good local surfer he meets a legendary big wave surfer named Frosty Henderson, played by Gerrard Butler.

The cinematography is hypnotizing. Some of the shots of the ocean and surfing are more then incredible. Your eyes are glued to the screen from the beginning to the end and you can make a really strong connection to surfers and surfing as a lifestyle. Some people call it sour surfing and Jay Moriarty was the youngest and the best. In the movie they show the relationship between Jay and Frosty as having only being a few weeks of training seasons but in real life Frosty trained Jay for years before his first attempt at riding a Maverick. These waves can be 50 feet high and are very dangerous. There are so many things that can go wrong. Having us believe that all the training happened in one small stretch of weeks would be impossible but that's just Hollywood telling the story.

Go watch this touching story and bring a friend but leave the boards outside. You don't have to surf to enjoy the movie but it could open your eyes to a glimpse of what some of these amazing athletes will do for the sport. Once you see it, you will know why once you start, the ocean is always calling you to back to play again. I think I would love to learn to surf but I will stick with the small waves. The age range is 9 and up but really the photography in the movie will keep anybody entertained. I give it 4 1/2 out of 5 twinkling stars. Morgan B, KIDS FIRST! Film Critic.

Video reviews available at kidsfirst dot org
on February 23, 2013
Great movie. Enjoyed a young lead whose character is likable. Our family watched this twice in 24 hours and our kids are high schoolers. Also appreciated Gerard Butler's interpretation of "Frosty".
on March 11, 2013
Chasing Mavericks Movie Review

Truth be told, when the movie trailer for "Chasing Mavericks" was released I was far from eager to spend $12 dropping into a movie theater to watch it.

Guess I'm a bit jaded by major motion pictures in the past that have failed to capture the art/sport of surfing in its true form.
Need I mention "Blue Crush" or "Soul Surfer?"

Fast-forward to February 26, 2013 the date "Chasing Mavericks" comes out on DVD, and my "corporate" surf movie mindset is forever shifted.

It's apparent that this movie was "made with the help of some of the biggest names in the surfing world." I believe it was thru these collaborative efforts that 20th Century Fox succeeded in communicating the feelings only a surfer would know.

The movie was more than just about big wave surfing, it's about life transforming moments and creating a legacy. "Chasing Mavericks" is the "Karate Kid" of surfing. In this instance, Frosty Hesson plays the part of Mr. Miyagi and Jay Moriarity is Danielson.

This is not just a movie you watch once and forget about it. It's a movie you add to your DVD collection and revisit time and time again. As the opening clip reminds us; " We all came from the sea,but we are not of the sea. Children of the tides must return to it again and again."

Slyde into a Surf Movie worth a watch! Share with us your feedback.
[...]
Article By : Michelle Michalak
on December 4, 2013
One of the best surfing movies told. Gerard Butler and up and coming star Jonny Weston tell the true story of Jay Moriarity and Frosty Hesson. I'm sure Hollywood jazzed the story up a bit, but who cares. This is a great movie for the whole family to watch together. It's definitely worth owning so buy it already!