Truck Month Textbook Trade In Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Tap Giveaway Headphones for Everyone Fire TV with 4k Ultra HD Gifts for Mom to look and feel great Mother's Day Gifts Shop now Amazon Gift Card Offer TL256 TL256 TL256  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Fire, Only $39.99 Kindle Paperwhite UniOrlando Shop Now

Format: Kindle Edition|Change
Price:$3.99

on November 10, 2011
For anyone who has lost a parent, or dealt with self-esteem issues, this book is a must-read. Bernadette is cast into a sea of loss and self-doubt after her beloved father dies. His last gift, a diary of encrypted quotes, propels her forward. As she solves each cryptogram, all while trying to live with her loss, Bernadette learns a little more about herself, and the place she holds in her world. Beautifully written, empathetic, witty, and ironic, this book touched me with its emotional honesty. -- by Janet Pepsin
0Comment|117 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 11, 2011
Chasing Rainbows is a heartwarming, inspirational story about one woman's struggle to come to grips with the worst that life can throw at her, and survive with her sanity and sense of humor intact. Unexpected tragedy, the death of her marriage, ongoing family drama, unemployment issues and one behaviorally challenged dog all threaten to send Bernadette Murphy over the edge, but friendship, hope, and love bring her back. On the surface it's a story about coping with grief and moving on, but on a deeper level it's a story of the triumph of the human spirit. I loved it!
11 comment|82 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 1, 2012
I have never read Ms. Long before, but I will be searching for more of her books! I am amazed at the power of Chasing Rainbows - I laughed and I cried, often on the same page. Plucky Bernadette Murphy has become one of my favorite characters, and I would love to see more of her. Almost too much bad luck at the beginning (the dog being kicked out of obedience school almost pushed me over the top), but the protagonist is just too down to earth and real and you root for her all the way! I read it in an afternoon - hard to put it down!
on January 17, 2012
I was sucked in by the four and five star reviews - never again. I expected the author, having published thirteen previous books (how?), would have had an editor or at least a reliable reader. The book had multiple printing mistakes (omitted words, double words, etc, which leapt off the page at me. However, my ultimate favorite was Bernie's love iterest, at an outdoor Hawaiian party in February in Philadelphia, wearing a peach hyacinth behind his ear. I've never seen a peach hyacinth, but if there is one, I can't quite imagine how anyone could have it dangling from their ear. I'm pretty sure the author meant a peach hibiscus. The heroine is the least appealing human being I've ever read. Let's see, how to describe her: pathetic, irresponsible, unreliable, gluttonous, self-pitying, self-righteous, self-important, irrational, and with a seemingly unlimited capacity to be nasty and unforgiving. The dog was likeable, Bernie was not. When she wasn't tormenting her grief-stricken brother, attacking clerks at the mall, neglecting her recently widowed mother, or angering her life-long friend, she was crying and wallowing through most of the book and feeling sorry for herself. That any of these people loved her was a complete mystery. I was happy her husband had left her. He deserved a far better life. The book of crytograms her father left her had been a reason I bought the book, as the teaser seemed to infer there was some family mystery to it - but no, not even that. It was merely random motivational quotes.
2121 comments|119 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 11, 2012
I am glad that I happened upon this book as a free one day promotion price, because I would have been upset if I had paid for it. I generally don't leave a poor review (I was taught to say nothing if I didn't have anything nice to say), however, with all of the 5 star reviews I felt purchasers deserved to hear a true and honest opinion of this book. The book had absolutely no climactic point in it. It droned on and on about one woman's self-pity. I kept expecting to see a reversal in her demeanor, or a sudden insight that got her out of bed, back to work and eating something other than chocolates, but it just went on and on. I believe the author was attempting to get readers to relate to the hard times in life that this woman has faced and to relate to her somehow but if you have ever seen the commercial where it asks if a Drill Sergeant would make a good therapist.... well that's me! Sorry, but I would not recommend this book unless you enjoy spending time with people who sit around doing nothing but complaining about how miserable they are.
on February 2, 2012
The mostly positive reviews on Amazon prompted me to buy this book, but what a disappointment. It was truly awful. It lacked any depth in either the characters or storyline. I saw some comments about humor in the book, but to me, it was completely not funny. The plot was so predictable, I ended up speed reading to the end of the book, because I hate to leave a book unfinished. There are some pretty good chick-lit writers out there, but this book is one of the worst examples of that genre I've ever read. I cannot think of anything to recommend this book.
on January 18, 2012
It's unbelieveable this book received the same "star" rating as "The Help"! I read the entire book waiting for the depth and emotion promised in other reviews-it never happened! Bernie, the main character, did make me laugh a few times, however the storyline was soooo predictable and trite. This story has been told hundreds of times in sappy made-for-TV movies. The only character development done was Bernie, so the rest of the characters felt flat and uninteresting. Very unsatisfying.
on February 1, 2012
I can't believe this is an award winning author. I hate to look down on someone else's work but I was terribly disappointed by this book. I didn't connect emotionally with this book or the characters it all. It was very cliched and uninteresting.
on February 1, 2012
I bought this book since it had great reviews but I really didn't like it. I kept reading & hoping that there would be something good coming but it never did. The characters are not interesting and the story had no point...I wish I skipped this one.
on March 5, 2012
The story began well, but then it became so self involved and boring it was all I could do to finish reading it. Usually I will try and finish a book no matter what, but this book was hard to keep on reading.Very depressing until the end when all of a sudden the story ends happily.I was surprised that this book got 4 stars that I had to go back and actually read the reviews to find out if I had made a mistake in my initial review. Don't waste your time on this book.I am going to delete this on from my IPad .terrible, boring book.