Chasing Sunsets: A Cedar Key Novel
Format: PaperbackChange
Price:$13.76+Free shipping with Amazon Prime

on February 6, 2014
This book stops smack in the middle of several narratives. It not only leaves you hanging, it throws you over a cliff! For authors out there: a 'book' has a beginning, a middle, and an end. To give your readers half of the story is like inviting them over for dinner, serving drinks, then escorting them to the door just as dinner is served. No satisfaction here.

It really is too bad, because I was enjoying the story. But I will not be coerced into buying another book after you wrote and sold me only half a book! Please write a whole book. Then write a sequel, if you wish. If I like your book, I will look for others you have written. I will NOT choose to read unfinished books.

P.S. Please read some 2 and 3 star reviews, which say: this story "stops in the middle, ends abruptly, left you hanging," and especially the reader who said her kindle must have downloaded it incorrectly because "the last few pages were missing!!" If that is not a cliffhanger, I don't know what is!
2323 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on January 30, 2012
This book was truly enjoyable in most every way. I especially enjoyed the heart. Very tangible in the writing. The story flowed and was engaging and pleasurable.

One thing, Reader beware of the publisher's mistake:

They placed an advertisement for the sequel so it looks like the last chapter. Very confusing and most abrupt and NOT the author's fault. Just know as you are reading that the last pages are really the first pages of the next book.
88 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on December 9, 2013
Overall it was a good read until the flashback that ended the last chapter. It dropped off and felt very incomplete, I couldn't believe that was it and it soured the book for me.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon June 13, 2011
Ah, Christian romance. I haven't read one in a while. I've been very hesitant to, actually. I decided to read a new one coming out titled Chasing Sunsets by Eva Marie Everson

Storyline: Kim has two boys, 10 and 14 years old. She and her husband, Charlie, divorced a year ago. Her dad convinces her to go to Cedar Key for a vacation while her ex-husband has her boys during the summer. There she begins to process her family's past and her present. She meets up with her first love, Steven. The story is about her facing the truth and coming through the fire.

Writing: This story is written well and Ms. Everson is very descriptive of the setting and characters.

Plot: The plot is developed slowly and well. It is set in the present, though the main character is surprisingly technology free.

I feel like writing a review like they do on Focus on the Family's website Plugged-in. I've included the positive parts. Now, I want to explain the sexual content and negative parts.

Sexual Content is a funny word to use in regard to Christian books, so perhaps I should use a different phrase like "Romantic Elements".

This book centers on the ending, healing, and beginning of romantic relationships. So, it is understandable that there would be some mention of physical intimacy. Now, this book doesn't go as far as Amy Inspired, a book I reviewed some months ago--and don't recommend at all. But, I wish there weren't as many mentions of Kim and Steven kissing and how attracted they were to each other. Those passages made the book seem more like a Harlequin Romance than a Christian fiction book, though I'm sure they weren't as graphic as Harlequin books probably are.

There is one negative aspect to the book that didn't sit well with me. I discussed it with my mom. It didn't strike her the way it did me, but I know that I am particularly concerned about nuances in language and wording. There is a scene on pg. 366 when Kim says "we both deserve to be happy again, however we choose to find that happiness...just because we're parents doesn't mean we've stopped being human." I believe that what we write reflects what we think. The word "deserve" sets off a huge alarm in my head. We live in an age where divorce is so prevalent. When I was first married, the Lord convicted me that if I began thinking about how I "deserved" to be treated or "deserved" to feel, then I would be headed down a very slippery slope. The Bible talks about joy and God promises to give us hope (Jer. 28:13), but there is no promise that we have a right to or that we deserve to be happy. This assumption is at the core of this story and I think it's a very deceptive, and even dangerous belief.

This book is a well written, enjoyable story. It will draw you in and let you escape for a few hours. I know I'm picky about the messages that fiction impress upon us. I think that being aware of them helps us filter them out and that is my hope in writing what I have about the romantic and negative aspects of this book.

Please note that I was given a complimentary copy of this book for review by Revell Publishing.
1313 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
This is the first book I've read by the author, though I have seen her work before. I wasn't sure what to expect when I started this book. My favorite books are suspense/thriller or historical/biblical fiction, so this contemporary romance wasn't something I would normally pick up. But, after finishing the book, I am glad I did.

After reading the prologue, chapter one opens up with Kimberly arriving at the courthouse. What a sobering and sad opening. Instantly, I felt a connection to Kim over everything she'd suffered since her husband announced his affair and filed for a divorce. What a blow! Yes, Kim was a character I was able to understood and sympathized with throughout the whole book. Three other characters really stood out to me besides Kim: Charlie, Patsy, and Steven. I don't have much to say about her ex, Charlie--he's a jerk--but I felt he played a large role in this book. Patsy was so much fun! I loved getting to know her as Kim reached out to her while visiting Cedar Key (and when I saw a sneak-peak at the next book, Seeking Sunsets, I was excited to see it open to Patsy's story!). Last, but definitely not least, was Steven. Wow, what a guy! He seemed totally awesome, thoughtful, and caring. All of these characters were fleshed out well and believable.

The main storyline--getting a second chance at first love--was great. I really enjoyed watching Kim as she revisited painful memories along the shores of Cedar Key and dared to open her heart to an old flame again. The beautiful gift of forgiveness and faith warmed my heart and I found myself smiling at the tender moments between Kim and Steven. I do admit that I felt they moved very, very fast in their interest for each other--I think it was about two weeks and they were talking marriage. Steven was pretty persistent in his desire to push ahead and if I'd been Kim, I wouldn't have known what to say! It was just so fast and sudden.

Eve Marie has a talented writing style that (with the first-person voice) puts the reader right into the head of Kimberly Claybourne Tucker. I loved how, every few chapters, Eve would take us back in time to some part of Kim's life. It was really neat getting a look at Kim and Steven's past together that summer. And the flashbacks to Steven's troubled marriage and Rosa's hard upbringing were interesting and added to the story. I was a bit confused when a flashback to Patsy's teen years appeared, but after finishing to the end and seeing the sneak-peak to Seeking Sunrises, I can kind of understand why now. But I didn't think it was necessary.

I do have to warn readers--be prepared for many kisses and embraces! (lol!) As I mentioned before, I felt the love between Kim and Steven was pretty fast, but taken into consideration that they'd been violently in love some twenty years ago before something occurred to force them apart...I can see where it might be natural to just pick up where they left off. So, if you like a good love story with many lessons wrapped up within the pages, I have a feeling you will completely fall in love with Chasing Sunsets and Kim and Steven's story. It leaves you with a lot to ponder on.

I reviewed this book for Revell. It was not required that I give a positive review, but solely to express my own thoughts and opinions of this book, which I have done.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on May 24, 2014
The story ended abruptly. I realize it is a trilogy, but other authors close the base story before ending the book. The story had loose ends - will Charlie approve the custody arrangement? Will the boys get along with Stephen?
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on December 10, 2014
I like clean content in my books. When I started reading this book, I knew it was not what I wanted to read, no matter how good the story might have been. I didn't get very far before I deleted it from my library.
on June 7, 2012
loved the story HATED the ending, it just stopped and then it goes on to another story in the next book without ever finishing the first story. Too bad it was a good story and could have had a good ending not sure I would buy another book form this author
on June 8, 2014
Great book. Horrible ending. In fact, there was no ending. I thought my Kindle didn't download the whole thing. Unfortunately that was not the case and it really was that bad.
on March 26, 2013
Everson writes strong, interesting characters who DO things. While there's plenty of emotion and some introspection, the story never stops moving. It was a just-one-more-chapter kind of book. I could feel the humidity making the sweat bead on my forehead and could taste the sweet tea. Lovely.

Fair warning: What looks like the LAST chapter is the FIRST chapter of book two. It's not a cliffhanger, it's a teaser.