Published on September 19, 2010 by P. Slabaugh

1.0 out of 5 stars I should have done my homework
Published on December 12, 2011 by soundman

1.0 out of 5 stars I should have done my homework, December 12, 2011
This review is from: Chauvet Followspot 400G (Electronics)
I purchased this followspot for our church christmas play and did not have a lot to spend on a followspot. I like the features on this followspot but upon receiving the light, I noticed how cheap it is made. All the parts were included in the box. When I first turned it on, I noticed that it did not put out a nice circle of light. I then proceeded to disassemble the light to realign the parts. I do not suggested to do this unless you are techy minded. I found that the color ring was not properly adjusted and that the iris was off center. So after several hours, it put out a nice circle. The slider to insert the gobo's was bent from the factory and I had to bend it back. I also found that the slides for focus were very difficult to use and adjust. So I bought a couple of nylon washers at the local hardware and placed them between the knob and the housing. Now I can tighten the knobs slightly and slide them much more smoothly. During our christmas play practices the unit proceeded to blow 3 bulbs because the bulb was getting to hot and melting the filament. Each bulb lasted approximately 1 to 2 hours each. During our play, we left the door for the light partially open so that the bulb could cool better, which allowed more air movement. Conclusion: I should have spent a little more money and bought a better light. I do not recommend this followspot because of how cheap it is manufactured and the poor quality of product. Hope this helps.

4.0 out of 5 stars Does everything it's supposed to ... with couple of rough edges., September 19, 2010
This review is from: Chauvet Followspot 400G (Electronics)
You focus the spot to a sharp edge by independently sliding two knobs along the outside. That's the quirky part, as they tend to bind on the sheetmetal track within. I will dismantle and smooth out rough spots and burrs and apply silicone to hopefully overcome that annoyance ... it's that troublesome. Once you wiggle/fanagle it into sharp focus for your distance you're in good shape ...and it's a joy. The under 10 dollar ENX bulb (bi-pin, 360w/82v) is rated around 70 hrs life. Get an extra because a sharp bang on the housing WILL blow your bulb (which I managed to do in under 20 minutes of operation). A stand with mounting plate comes with this deal at about the same price if you buy it from other sources. Wish Amazon had included one in THEIR deal ... if you aren't hanging it from overhead, you'll want one. REPEAT, don't shake or bang it during operation!

Additionally, four metal disc gobos (size of those thin metal discs that once were used to nail down roofing tar paper) are manually slipped in one at a time and provide distinct edged shapes (full star, outline star, starburst, crescent moon with small star). The full spot and gobo patterns all look professional, bright, and clean ... IF you took time to get your focus right. The aperture knob on top allows you to reduce the spot size to under 18 inches at about 35 feet but if you tighten the spot more than that it will unevenly reduce from the side (goes out of round). One other snag is that you have to refocus when you reduce the spot size... thus revisiting the quirky focus track. Definitely would be 5 stars if focus and small spot roundness were non-issues ...but the price is hard to beat... and I'm ecstatic to have this piece of equipment.

OH yeah... first you have to install the bulb, and the small screw that holds the lamp cover plate can be really stuck on the painted surface. Use a PERFECT condition #2 phillips screwdriver applied very firm and straight. You only get one shot at removing this soft screw without stripping it's cross-slot. If you do strip it (I did!) there are some machinist's tricks for removing it without drilling it completely out. You will want to REPLACE this screw with a quality screw (grade 5 or stainless steel)...it's much too soft and stick-prone... or at least put a touch of silicone under the original screws head ... IF it's reusable.

5.0 out of 5 stars UPDATED REVIEW - Chauvet Followspot 400G, November 19, 2009
[...] Event Producer

Upon receiving the replacement, I am very happy. The spotlight/followspot is very easy, and makes my events look professional.

although it has tons of bells & whistles, all I needed was a spotlight to follow my performers as the walk out to the stage,
and while they're dancing on the stage. This followspot is great!

4.0 out of 5 stars Chauvet Followspot Arrived With Missing Parts, May 28, 2009
This review is from: Chauvet Followspot 400G (Electronics)
I received the Chauvet Followspot 400G and when I inspected the contents found that the light bulb was broken and the power cord missing. So I called Amazon and they promptly sent a replacement. When the replacement arrived I found that this time the light bulb was missing but the rest of the contents were there. I then searched and found a store that sold the light bulb for $10 so I bought it and tested the Followspot and it all seemed to work very well so I kept it. I think that the packing department at the Chauvet factory needs a little more quality control but on the plus side, Amazon was diligent in addressing the issue.

4.0 out of 5 stars When it's good it's great, when there's problems...(you get the idea), August 12, 2013
David Kuzio (Fulton, NY, US) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Chauvet Followspot 400G (Electronics)
I purchased this item a few years ago and use it in a lighting package that I use for local bands. It's a great product for a low price BUT..
1. Carry extra bulbs - they burn out at the worst times - like the middle of a set
2. Don't jostle/bump this baby when the bulb may be hot - the filament is very delicate and will blow easily
3. Carry it in a plastic bin or something like that with cushioning - I have a Wal Mart plastic bin w/ 2 inch foam

I really like and would recommend this baby if you follow the rules above.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Product for the Price, February 20, 2012
This review is from: Chauvet Followspot 400G (Electronics)
This Mini Follow Spot is a great product for the price. I like the flexibility that I have with this item. I can use it in the standalone mode, or I can use it in the DMX mode, and can control the Dimming and Colors from my controller (light board). It is easy to transport & set up. I suggest purchasing a nice durable case for this spotlight if you are going to be transporting it a lot. Another fine product from Chauvet!

1.0 out of 5 stars Sorry to say, but....Junk, February 1, 2012
This review is from: Chauvet Followspot 400G (Electronics)
I bought two of them, one 360 and another 400 works fine for about 2 hours (not continuos), and then...died, put another bulb and only works the white light, after that, begun to do smoke...¡you can not trust in this for a presentation! Junk!

1.0 out of 5 stars Not Happy With the Black Markings, October 27, 2009
This review is from: Chauvet Followspot 400G (Electronics)
The product arrived on time, and the packaging was in good condition. The light appeared new, HOWEVER, when I removed all of the wrapping and packing material it had tons of finger prints and nasty BLACK MARKINGS all over it. I could tell that it had been gently used or on a display and the seller used a BLACK MAGIC MARKER to color in areas where it had been scratched and scraped. The appearance is so unattractive and very noticeable and I am not happy about it. Also, the screw is stripped on top of the compartment where it opens to install the bulb. I could not open it. I even bought a power drill to try opening it, but that didn't work either. This product is so not worth the money, my time or energy and I don't recommend it. I AM DEFINITELY DISPLEASED!!!!!!!

Chauvet Followspot 400G