Winter Driving Best Books of the Month Men's Leather Watches Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Nothing But Thieves All-New Amazon Fire TV Subscribe & Save Valentine's Day Cards Bring a little greenery into your home Amazon Gift Card Offer jstfd6 jstfd6 jstfd6  Amazon Echo All-New Fire Kindle Paperwhite Lisa Loeb AMO Winter Sports on Amazon.com Sale

Format: DVDChange

on June 16, 2004
Cheap Trick is undoubtedly one of the best live acts around today.
They have such great stage charisma, top notch talent, and they consistently get better with age! What other band sounds better 30 years later?

After my disappointment with the Special One CD, I was excited to hear about this DVD; I heard most Special One songs live, and couldn't understand why they translated to tape poorly. Having these songs stripped and performed live would be exactly the hot product to put out. And the songs DO sound much better now, such tremendous intensity Robin has live, the guitars and bass sound great, and there's a great build up to the climax of each song.

However, what's really the downer about this DVD is that although you get fun fictious anecdotes and silly interviews of the band between every track, you then get 2/3 of each live song. NOT A SINGLE SONG APPEARS HERE IN ITS ENTIRETY. It's like a Behind the Music (without drama or drugs) based around a new live show. The banter is great, but this clip-show format KILLS the replay value of this disc.

The closest comparison I can give is the 2-DVD version of Silver, how the second DVD has fun clips and chat between tracks and then overlays into the songs. That's exactly what this is like, however, you do not get the benefit of the complete uncut show.

Bonus features are fun, with the band and their families visiting Japan, although the two live special appearances they played are again not shown in their entirety.

Perhaps someday we'll get the Budakan show on DVD or an updated Every Trick in the Book DVD.

Update 6/14/05: Exactly a year later, I've still yet to pop this into my DVD player for a second watch, and Cheap Trick's still my favorite band.
0Comment25 of 26 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on July 6, 2004
I've been a Cheap Trick fan since 1977 & this DVD is the best glimpse into the band members' personalities I've ever seen. The interviews are just total fun & I found myself laughing out loud several times. Tom Petersson in particular is hilarious. The concert scenes from Japan are fine as well and you get to hear several songs from Special One that will never see the light of day in the States. Watch for the excellent footage of the orginal Budokan concert also. My favorite scene in this DVD is Rick & Robin standing outside the legendary Budokan hall remembering their glory days there. Hey Cheap Trick fans, buy this!
on June 22, 2004
Let me first start off saying that I am a HUGE Cheap Trick fan. I buy anything they put out. While this DVD is great, it is not a live DVD... it is really a documentary (or rockumentary). With that in mind, it has great insight to the history of the band that I never knew like Tom invented Pop Tarts and Rick's dad was a famous opera singer.
I was let down that there is no way to watch the concert footage (most of it new songs) in its entirety.
22 comments19 of 20 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on June 15, 2004
I love Cheap Trick, and I was eagerly awaiting the release of this DVD. Over the past couple of years Cheap Trick have put out a couple of outstanding DVD's, Silver and Music For Hangovers. Compared to the aformentioned, this DVD was a let down. It has nothing to do with picture quality or audio or features, they're all great. The reason I was disappointed with it is the format. I was hoping for the entire concert performance. Instead, they have interview segments over the first half of every song, and then they cut to the concert footage halfway into the song. It would have been much better to have the concert as a whole and the interviews as a whole in two different pieces, not integrated. I suppose Cheap Trick are trying to avoid audio CDs being made from the DVD because there is not a CD released in conjunction with this DVD. The interview segments are really good. Rick, Robin, Tom, and Bun E. all deliver some truly hilarious deadpan lines. Tom especially is great in the interviews. If Cheap Trick had only delivered the entire concert footage, this DVD would be five stars without a doubt.
on June 16, 2004
I was excitied to hear that this DVD was coming out. I especially was looking forward to hearing some of the new material from Special One. I haven't got to hear much of the new stuff live, because I want to wait until they tour as the headliner. I've been spoiled over the years seeing them in small, club-like settings, so it would be disappointing seeing them in a stadium setting as when they opened for Motley Crue. The DVD is well produced and professionally done- it really looks and sounds great. The commentary is entertaining and amusing. I would have given it 5-stars if you were able to view the concert without the commentary. "Concert without Commentary" should have been a menu option. Also, you don't get to hear all the songs in their entirety. Do I recommend it- YES! It's very good and I think any person, fan or casual listener, will enjoy it, but will be disappointed not to be able to hear the concert in it's entirety and without the commentary.
on June 25, 2004
I guess I didn't have the grandiose expectations that some CT fans did, because I think the FTTY dvd is super! Of course, this might have something to do with the recent purchase of my first dvd player (yes, very slow here to update to new...now old, technology)and purchasing my first ever CT dvd. I can understand those who may find this dvd lacking in comparison to previous releases. I've seen a couple of CT performances and listened to several of their cds... I love their songs, but I thoroughly enjoy listening to them talk about their life experiences etc. Sometimes forthright, often ambigous, they never fail to make me smile. Yes, it would have been a big plus for the band to sing more of their songs in entirety, but all in all, this did not diminish the quality for me. I was just wondering where track number 16 is... "California Man" ?????
on March 15, 2013
Both the title and the description written on the cover packaging of this DVD, give the impression it is a 'Live In Japan' concert which also includes bonus interview footage. However, it is really a documentary which has portions of live concert footage inserted amongst the interviews etc.
As it stands, this DVD is a terrific documentary about Cheap Trick, filled with informative and humorous interviews from the four band members, plus many entertaining behind-the-scenes sequences.
But regrettably, the included live concert music is essentially ruined because we never get to hear a complete uninterrupted song, due to the interviews being dubbed in over those performances. Obviously someone thought this style of editing was a good idea, but basically it is just plain annoying, as it is like trying to listen to Cheap Trick's Greatest Hits CD with someone sitting beside you who won't stop talking!!
Therefore, as a live concert DVD this does essentially fail to satisfy. Which is a true shame, because this DVD could have come very close to being an ultimate Cheap Trick experience, if only the documentary didn't intrude upon the concert...
on April 4, 2012
This is a must have for all Cheap Trick fans. You get to see the real Rick, Robin Bun E & Tom and the great sense of humor behind these legends.
on July 2, 2004
Good grief, this DVD was excellent! The commentary was fun and interesting. If the listeners would listen more carefully, the only part playing while they spoke was the intro over and over. Not much of the songs were missed at all. Are we Cheap Trick fans or not? I am!!! YEAH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Encore!!!
0Comment6 of 10 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 6, 2006
This would have been better AS EITHER
A 'Rockumentary' OR Concert (LIVE)DVD.
But as both, it doesn't really quite
live up to it's anticipated hype among
'Trick fans. Sure the set list consists
of mostly '(Un)Special One material - it
kicked off the Special One Tour...

Rick, Bun E. and Robin's (he said he was 10
at the time of the Live at Budokan release!)
comments are cool and it's good to see the
guys with their families trapesing across
the far East, where they are still well loved.
But Tom Petersson comes across as shallow, uses
bad language (swearing and takeing the lord's
name in vain - @ least in Silver they bleeped
him out!)and tries in around about way to insist
HE came up with the name 'Cheap Trick' and the
logo (!), which totally contridicts what Rick
Nielsen just said in a previous clip! Most of
the material here is acoustic/ or acoustic LIVE
in the studio. I was kinda hoping for a LIVE AT
BUDOKAN 2003, here. Oh, well, a cheap trick, I
guess, on me. Caveat Emptor!
33 comments5 of 10 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse