Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Songs of Summer Fire TV Stick Sun Care Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer showtimemulti showtimemulti showtimemulti  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Water Sports

Cheap Oil is what fuels the Capitalist Economy - What's going to be Next?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-4 of 4 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jun 11, 2006 11:37:21 PM PDT
Timothy Egan says:
Cheap Oil drives the US economy. I work in the Automotive industry and I am amazed at how much money car dealerships make, and how many businesses and other industries stem from this industry. If there's no more oil to power automobiles, then a lot of these businesses will fall, along with the auto industry and all of its billions it generates for the US economy. This is just one example of a major industry that is highly supported by a Capitalist form of economy and once the oil runs out, its all over. But this begs the question; What type of economy will take its place, Trade and Barter?

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 4, 2006 5:12:53 PM PDT
Maybe trade and barter. Why is it necessary to chose?

I've checked a number of sources on peak oil and much of it is alarmist. While the concept is certainly accurate, the prediction of what will happen seemingly overnight is far fetched in my opinion. I have more confidence in American ingenuity.

I can say I'm glad I live where I do. We are truly blessed to be in the USA even with all it's faults. Check out Matt Savinars web site: http://lifeaftertheoilcrash.net/ for more info along the lines of this book.

Cheers!
Tim Wilbur

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 15, 2008 4:59:32 PM PST
[Deleted by Amazon on Apr 27, 2009 12:55:15 PM PDT]

Posted on Apr 6, 2009 3:45:21 PM PDT
Integral Fast Reactors and Boron-powered Cars. Check out "Prescription For The Planet," by Tom Blees.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  4
Total posts:  4
Initial post:  Jun 11, 2006
Latest post:  Apr 6, 2009

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
The Party's Over: Oil, War and the Fate of Industrial Societies
The Party's Over: Oil, War and the Fate of Industrial Societies by Richard Heinberg (School & Library Binding - April 2003)
4.1 out of 5 stars (107)