5.0 out of 5 stars Dickinson is Delightful!
Published on June 20, 2006 by Meghan R.

Published on August 16, 2006 by K. Hinton

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Dickinson is Delightful!, June 20, 2006
I love this book! It is an easy read that is hard to put down, and by the time I was done I felt like Janice was on of my favorite girlfriends and we had just returned from a girls night out full of gossip and laughs. The world's first supermodel is able to bring out the supermodel in every woman with tales of her conquests while providing excellent tips to us single gals of all ages. I've already shared this book with my 58 year old boss who loved it as much as I did.

Dating books are a dime a dozen, but most have left me kinda down when I'm finished. Check Please! is a warm, fun book, that doesn't try and hold your hand, its more of a push off the sidelines and into the game. If you're looking for a book that can apply to any woman, this is one of the really great ones, and I highly reccomend it.

3.0 out of 5 stars Best Line: "The minute you start giving men credit for being deep, you're entering the realm of imagination.", August 16, 2006
Check, Please! gives advice on dating, mating, and extricating as only Janice Dickinson could. That being said, I must first confess that I am a huge Dickinson fan. I loved her on ANTM and think the show is an empty shell without her, and I love her on the Janice Dickinson Modeling Agency. If you don't like her on either one of these shows, or in general, then you're wasting your time picking up her book.

That being said, her advice is hilarious, if at times pretty obvious. Most notable is her idea that the way to a man's heart is to first ignore, ignore, ignore. Janice assures you throughout the novel that paying attention to a man will just end up with you alone. However, she also gives great advice in the form of Ten Crappy Pickup Lines and How to Put Them Down, Who Should Pay for the First Date, and How to Start Trends Rather than Follow Them. As in anything she's involved with, this book is opinionated and upfront with all of Janice's takes on dating, and I have to say that I agree with most of them. Also hilarious, her take on Internet dating ("If the camera adds 10 pounds, the Internet adds 40.")

I thought this book was funny, but not necessarily useful in everyday dating situations. Then again, you are taking dating advice from a supermodel, so I guess it's not meant for everyday use. Still, as a Janice fan, it's worth the read and does have interesting takes on a number of different dating situations. As a whole, I'd read it for the laughs, not as a dating guide.

4.0 out of 5 stars Sage Advice, Janice Strikes Again, June 17, 2006
I adored this book as I have been waiting for it to be released for years now. At first I was hesitant as I thought it would be disappointing and all about dating advice. I wanted installment number three of Janice's life like the last two books! My prayers were soon answered as Janice had figured out how to make the book all about her while dishing out PERFECT advice for dating, mating and extricating.

You must get this book if you want to know more about the adventures of Janice and get a good dose of reality when it comes to MEN. This one satisfied my every Janice Dickinson need. Filling us in on some of her moments on The Surreal Life and even giving some well deserved literary slaps in the face to that horrible woman - Omarosa!

To be fair and unbiased the book did start out kind of rough. I also had a slight problem with the integrity of the manuscript. There seemed to be a lot of spelling errors throughout the first few parts of the book. It's just surprising. For someone who has been working on this release for awhile now, published by a big name and having the help of editors etc. As a writer I was surprised to see the magnitude of errors. As the book goes on the errors and rough beginnings lessen and by the end it captures the strong (but heartfelt), composed and well written Janice that I loved in books one and two!

Bravo to Janice! It looks like she's got another Best Seller on her hands.

3.0 out of 5 stars It's always fun chatting with Janice, but this isn't her best effort, September 12, 2006
Dickinson is a larger-than-life talent at modeling, hosting, and writing funny tell-all memoirs. She dished about her long, hard climb to the top of the supermodel world in No Lifeguard on Duty, and then she updated American on her life as a sober, wisened, hard-working mom in Everything About Me is Fake...and I'm Perfect. She's already revealed the most shocking and titillating anecdotes from her super-life, so her third book is packaged as a dating guide featuring her "patented blend of hard-won romantic wisdom and diva chic." She even manageds to dredge up a few more dating and bedroom antics to throw in her advice chapters.

The tossed-off tell-all anecdotes which worked so well in Dickinson's first two memoirs fall flat in this format. The book meanders with advice that applies more to six-foot, size-zero supermodels than to the average American woman. Sure, there are fun moments listening to our unapologetic narrator, but it appear that the books was constructed from scraps of shocking tales rather than as a whole entity. Dickinson's other books succeeded because they had a structure, a message, and even life lessons (as subtle as they may have been.) This is a mish-mash of tales masquerading as an advice book, and since when does an advice book need a glossy, dozen-page photo shoot of the (very beautiful) narrator in glammed-out poses?

5.0 out of 5 stars Outlandish, Outrageous Fun, October 1, 2006
A FUN Read.

The sub-title says it's about Dating, Mating and Extricating. But I wouldn't take it too seriously. Sure, it's fine if you're a rich, six foot, supermodel with a body that's the very best example of what high priced plastic surgeons can build. Instead just read it for fun, in the same way we like to see the super houses of the rich and fameous.

And fun it is.

It's a description of a life where men are falling all over themselves to go out with her. It's the description of a girl getting ready to go on a skiing trip with a boy friend who goes out to buy $3,000 worth of clothes for the trip. It's probably not going to be of much practical help to the woman who finds herself single again, a few pounds overweight, with three kids to take care of. Instead, just read it for it's outlandish fun.

1.0 out of 5 stars A Narcissist's Paradize, August 14, 2006
Janice Dickenson comes across as an angry, narcisissistic sour-grapes-drenched has-been suffering dillusions of grandeur, ad nauseum. Her book is a virtual how-to on Hollywood name dropping [like the targets of her rancor care], male-bashing, fear and loathing of aging, becoming meaningless, less relevant and ignored, and finding a way to claw your way back into reality and make one final stand at any and all cost. She has placed herself in a world that regards superficiality as nirvana, and she seems to have little grasp of any meaning deeper than her nail polish. Her life comes across as pathetic and sad, but I think her book may have had actual gravity had she, instead, focused on what she was really feeling inside, rather than the veneer she attempted to sell.

5.0 out of 5 stars almost an expose' terrific read, October 6, 2013
TWITTERLESS "GADFLYED" (Florida United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Check, Please!: Dating, Mating, and Extricating (Paperback)
I liked it .written well,and very interesting. Really opens your eyes
about the modeling world & what those women have to go through.
She's fearless as to what she says.
Cant help not being able to put the book down. I enjoyed reading it .

3.0 out of 5 stars fun read, February 20, 2013
This review is from: Check, Please! (Kindle Edition)
we found this to be a fun read. we grew up during the era of Janice Dickinson, SuperModel, and enjoyed the background from her view.

5.0 out of 5 stars Love Ya, Janice!, March 12, 2011
Anna Rupinski (Sarasota, Florida United States) - See all my reviews
I'm not one hundred percent sure what the point of this book was. Supposedly, it's a dating manual. What I got out of it was more of a cold splash of self-esteem. Janice admits to having made mistakes, even once waiting for TWO AND A HALF HOURS (gasp!) for her date (Charlie Sheen of all people) to show up. But she never made that mistake again, and now I have her to help me decide that there's a limit. It's like a sassy gay friend in book form. I hope that if I find myself in a situation that I don't deserve with a man, I'll have enough of the Big Dog in me to say, "Check please!"

The full review for this book is available at [...]

5.0 out of 5 stars Meeoooowww, January 21, 2011
Ross Waghorn (Brisbane, Australia) - See all my reviews
Let your claws out girls... Janice Dickinson has a very dry, harsh, bitchy, yet hilarious take on many issues. She tells it like it is, and holds no prisoners... every topic and every person in her life is fair game... great read.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Check, Please!: Dating, Mating, and Extricating
Check, Please!: Dating, Mating, and Extricating by Janice Dickinson (Paperback - May 29, 2007)
$14.95 $5.98