Top positive review
26 people found this helpful
Classic Show, Excellent video transfer to DVD.
on January 9, 2004
I was unsure of how the video transfer to DVD would be for a 20 year old TV show. I was surprised to find that it has only a slight amount of graininess and little or no detectable video noise! Some episodes are better than others, but I found the video quality to be quite good. Certainly the picture is much better than what I see on my cable signal. The audio, Dolby Digital 2.0, is acceptable for a sit-com. The voices are understandable with only occasional distortion. The audio sounded a little flat at times.
"The Guys Behind the Bar" discusses Season 2 in general. I didn't find it to be very interesting and I probably won't watch it again. "Cliff's Notes", "Carla The Comeback Queen", "Di Another Day" do not contain new footage. Instead, they showed clips from several episodes that show off the named actor/actress. They were nicely done. The bloopers segment was laugh out loud funny, although it was short. The extras are not a reason to buy the DVD set, in my opinion.
I like Shelley Long and Season 2 has several episodes about the on-off relationship between her and Ted Danson. Many episodes are very funny. I liked the episode "Just Three Friends". Markie Post plays Diane's friend who is attracted to Ted Danson! "Cheers" does a good job of portraying everyday conflicts, and the fact that it is set in a bar becomes unimportant.
Here are the episodes, with a tiny description:
1. Power Play (Diane & Sam together? You gotta be kidding!)
2. Little Sister Don't Cha (Carla plays her own sister)
3. Personal Business (Can Diane get another job?)
4. Homicidal Ham (Diane's blind date)
5. Sumner's Return (The return of Diane's former fiance)
6. Affairs of the Heart (A man is interested in Carla)
7. Old Flames (Can he break up Diane & Sam?) This episode won 2 Emmys.
8. Manager Coach (Coach coaches a Little League team)
9. They Called Me Mayday (Writing Sam's autobiography)
10. How Do I Love Thee, Let Me Call You Back (Sam says "I love you")
11. Just Three Friends (Markie Post likes Sam)
12. Where There's a Will (A dying man tends bar)
13. Battle of the Exes (Carla's ex shows up)
14. No Help Wanted (Sam could get a BIG income tax refund)
15. And Coachie Makes Three (Diane and Sam want to be alone)
16. Cliff's Rocky Moment (Cliff gets into it with another patron)
17. Fortune and Men's Weight (A fortune-telling scale)
18. Snow Job (Sam lies to Diane)
19. Coach Buries a Grudge (I have to say nice things about WHO?")
20. Norman's Conquest (Norman's romantic interest)
21. & 22 I'll Be Seeing You (Part 1 & Part 2) (An artist paints Diane)