Professional restaurant supplies Spring Reading 2016 Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Beauty Gifts Made in Italy Amazon Gift Card Offer out2 out2 out2  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors Kindle Paperwhite Shop Now SnS

Format: Amazon Video|Change
Price:$14.99

on January 9, 2004
I was unsure of how the video transfer to DVD would be for a 20 year old TV show. I was surprised to find that it has only a slight amount of graininess and little or no detectable video noise! Some episodes are better than others, but I found the video quality to be quite good. Certainly the picture is much better than what I see on my cable signal. The audio, Dolby Digital 2.0, is acceptable for a sit-com. The voices are understandable with only occasional distortion. The audio sounded a little flat at times.
"The Guys Behind the Bar" discusses Season 2 in general. I didn't find it to be very interesting and I probably won't watch it again. "Cliff's Notes", "Carla The Comeback Queen", "Di Another Day" do not contain new footage. Instead, they showed clips from several episodes that show off the named actor/actress. They were nicely done. The bloopers segment was laugh out loud funny, although it was short. The extras are not a reason to buy the DVD set, in my opinion.
I like Shelley Long and Season 2 has several episodes about the on-off relationship between her and Ted Danson. Many episodes are very funny. I liked the episode "Just Three Friends". Markie Post plays Diane's friend who is attracted to Ted Danson! "Cheers" does a good job of portraying everyday conflicts, and the fact that it is set in a bar becomes unimportant.
Here are the episodes, with a tiny description:
1. Power Play (Diane & Sam together? You gotta be kidding!)
2. Little Sister Don't Cha (Carla plays her own sister)
3. Personal Business (Can Diane get another job?)
4. Homicidal Ham (Diane's blind date)
5. Sumner's Return (The return of Diane's former fiance)
6. Affairs of the Heart (A man is interested in Carla)
7. Old Flames (Can he break up Diane & Sam?) This episode won 2 Emmys.
8. Manager Coach (Coach coaches a Little League team)
9. They Called Me Mayday (Writing Sam's autobiography)
10. How Do I Love Thee, Let Me Call You Back (Sam says "I love you")
11. Just Three Friends (Markie Post likes Sam)
12. Where There's a Will (A dying man tends bar)
13. Battle of the Exes (Carla's ex shows up)
14. No Help Wanted (Sam could get a BIG income tax refund)
15. And Coachie Makes Three (Diane and Sam want to be alone)
16. Cliff's Rocky Moment (Cliff gets into it with another patron)
17. Fortune and Men's Weight (A fortune-telling scale)
18. Snow Job (Sam lies to Diane)
19. Coach Buries a Grudge (I have to say nice things about WHO?")
20. Norman's Conquest (Norman's romantic interest)
21. & 22 I'll Be Seeing You (Part 1 & Part 2) (An artist paints Diane)
on May 19, 2005
When I watch this DVD I think of how impressive Cheers was in that it had heart - genuine affection and incredible rapport between characters - but was also irreverent in its humor and unshy of the racy and the less than wholly tasteful. Danson and Long in particular deserve credit for their outstanding performances and at least partial credit for their great chemistry (as there's always a component of that kind of spark between actors that seems entirely left to hance, I think) but the writing team was also formiddable in that it consistently avoided veering into the saccharine excess that has marked so many romantic plotlines in the sit. comedy genre, particularly of Cheers' day. There are too many worthwile episodes to justify my listing them here, but this DVD constitutes what is undoutedly among my top 3 favorites of the show's 11 seasons.

Though it was remarkably consistent for laughs throughout its run, I personally prefer Cheers in the pre-Kirstie Alley days. It's not that seasons 6-11, or Alley even, were bad, per se. But it was a different show once Shelley Long left. She really deserves all the lauds she received for her portrayal of the neurotic but well-inteded elitist Diane Chambers. Along with the writers she created one of TV's truly memorable, suprisingly multi-dimensional characters in this season and the one preceding it.

The entire cast is stellar, their interaction so natural (also evident in the short but very amusing blooper reel) and the writing unusually (for its genre) and mercifully restrained in its laugh grabs. In the post-Seinfeld era, few sitcoms have seamlessly combined irreverence and warmth the way Cheers did. I miss(ed) it (until I got the DVDs, that is :-).
on January 7, 2004
I was counting the days until the second season of "Cheers" was released, and I was not disappointed. Not by the DVD itself, anyway. I noticed that Amazon raised their price by a few dollars between pre-order and release date. In the end, I bought the set for much less at Target. Just a word to the wise.
On to the DVD itself..."Cheers" really hits its stride in the second season, with the beginning of the Sam & Diane relationship we all watched with amusement, interest, and amazement back in the day. The extras are slightly more substantial this time, too; while they all feature scenes from only the second season, we have "Diane Chambers from A to Z," "Carla's Insults for Every Occasion," "Cliff's Notes of Wisdom," and "Strictly Top Shelf: The Guys Behind the Bar," which includes both new and 1983 interviews with Jim Burrows, Ted Danson, George Wendt, and Rhea Perlman. I was a little disappointed no one even mentioned the late Nicholas Colasanto (Coach) and what it was like to work with him.
I'm hoping future "Cheers" DVD releases have a big, meaty documentary about the show, along the lines of the "E! True Hollywood Story." Don't get me wrong, I love the episodes themselves, but part of the fun of a DVD is the potential for lots of behind the scenes goodness.
on April 18, 2005
One of the greatest television comedies in history, Cheers is an absolute "must see" for anyone who's ever had a regular hangout "where everybody knows your name". The shows centers itself around the friendly neighborhood Boston bar named Cheers. The bar is owned by former Boston Red Sox relief pitcher Sam Malone (Ted Danson). Sam has three employees - bartender Ernie "Coach" Pantusso (Nicholas Colasanto) and waitresses Carla Tortelli (Rhea Pearlman) and Diane Chambers (Shelley Long). Regular barflies Norm Peterson (George Wendt) and Cliff Clavin (John Ratzenberger) round out a strong supporting cast.

The Cheers (Season 2) DVD offers a number of hilarious episodes and ignites Sam and Diane's long-lasting, on-again/off-again romance. This is also the first season in which Cliff Clavin is an "opening-credits" member of the cast (even though he appeared in most of season one's episodes). Guest appearances by Fred Dryer (of Hunter fame), Dick Cavett, Harry Anderson (of Night Court fame), and Christopher Lloyd (of Taxi and Back To The Future fame) make for some memorable comic sequences. The season ends with Sam and Diane's romance on shaky ground...

Below is a list of episodes included on the Cheers (Season 2) DVD:

Episode 23 (Power Play)

Episode 24 (Little Sister Don't Cha)

Episode 25 (Personal Business)

Episode 26 (Homicidal Ham)

Episode 27 (Sumner's Return)

Episode 28 (Affairs of the Heart)

Episode 29 (Old Flames)

Episode 30 (Manager Coach)

Episode 31 (They Called Me Mayday)

Episode 32 (How Do I Love Thee, Let Me Call You Back)

Episode 33 (Just Three Friends)

Episode 34 (Where There's A Will)

Episode 35 (Battle of the Exes)

Episode 36 (No Help Wanted)

Episode 37 (And Coachie Makes Three)

Episode 38 (Cliff's Rocky Moment)

Episode 39 (Fortune and Men's Weight)

Episode 40 (Snow Job)

Episode 41 (Coach Buries a Grudge)

Episode 42 (Norman's Conquest)

Episode 43 (I'll Be Seeing You: Part 1)

Episode 44 (I'll Be Seeing You: Part 2)

The DVD Report
on November 8, 2015
Season two of 'Cheers' is generally considered the most 'boring' one because it hinges on the friction between primitive bartender Sam and overly-cerebral waitress Diane's actual relationship rather than their 'Will they or won't they?' pre-sex (season 1) tension or their 'Will they or won't they ever again?' post-sex tension (season 3), however, this is my favorite season.

The season opens with Sam and Diane having finally consummated their long insult-laden flirtation. Tragically, the two have absolutely nothing going for them except magnetic sexual attraction - however, up until three quarters of the way through the season, they valiantly complete long stretches where they are civil to each other - primarily because Sam manages to tamp down his womanizing ways and Diane manages to shrug off his egregiously promiscuous past.

They still get in their barbs - Diane simply can't resist any opportunity to poke fun of Sam's lack of intellect - but on the whole there's a touching sweetness about their interactions. Watch for the episode where Sam pretends a relative has died so he can have a ski weekend alone with his buddies - but his strong feelings for his new girlfriend keep pulling him back to the bar despite desperately wanting not to appear 'whipped.' Or the one where he spends a painful and sleepless five days slogging through 'War and Peace' so he can fit in with her crowd.

Having their relationship settled for the time being means the writers begin to focus on the other members of the cast, who start to have bigger storylines. The season particularly lets Ernie 'Coach' Pantuso shine (I've always found him more appealing than his younger replacement, Woody Harrelson). Cliff becomes a welcome steady character. And it's the first the audience sees of Al, an addled old man who sits at the back of the bar and occasionally calls out something bizarre.

Toward the end of the season, the writers realized there was little left to mine in the Sam-and-Diane-are-dating dynamic (and as I recall, ratings started to fall) so they had to be broken up. Sam begins exhibiting abhorrently bad boyfriend behavior (he flagrantly flirts with Diane's best friend; refuses to get rid of his 'little black book' of sluts; and allows himself to be profiled as one of 'Boston's most eligible bachelors' in a magazine).

Additionally, Diane stubbornly continues to play Pygmalion with Sam, refusing to accept that he'll never be the art-and-literature-loving and emotionally-sensitive intellect she needs (she will meet that man, Frasier Crane, in the next season).

Eventually, the stark differences in their personalities come to an explosive head when Diane poses for a tortured artist (brilliantly played by Taxi's Christopher Lloyd) against Sam's wishes. Their break-up - complete with nose twisting - is about as undignified, yet as hilarious, as it comes.

The quality of the jokes in this season are as high as season one - the actors are a bit more settled into their characters - and there's the additional layer of true depth of feeling that pokes out from behind the perpetually juvenile war of wills between Sam and Diane.

For me, the show reaches its peak in season two.
on January 9, 2004
Absolutely the best show of all time. Phenominal cast, and terrific writing. Ted Danson is the best actor in TV history, and he deserved more than 2 Emmy's."Just Three Friends", and "Cliffs' Rocky Moment" are two of the funniest episodes of all time. Absolutely hysterical. "CHEERS" season 2 is excellent, just as good as the first season, if not just a tad better.My only problem , I agree with Don H, is the terrible cover. Sam is much taller than Diane , not the same size, and the smile they put on Sam is oviously(sorry wrong spelling)not his. Anybody can see it is digitally added. Plus I've seen the real picture , and he is not smiling. But I digress, it is a terrific set , and everybody should own it. Cliff is the best.
on September 17, 2015
I am just a few years too young to have watched any of Cheers when it was on first-runs. Although, I watched a few of the Kirstie Alley episodes in real-time. That being said, I had watched a fair few episodes in syndication over time... This is the first time I actually watched the show from the beginning - and I have really loved it. I find that the writing was so refreshing and you can see how so much of it worked at the time when it came out, and for the most part it all still rings true (aside from the strange bar-type stories that would be avoided now a days by having cell phones around.
on January 8, 2004
A wonderful classic show. It's hard to believe that the second season first aired on television over 20 years ago! God, are we really getting that old?
The condition of the episodes on these DVDs is amazing. The film transfer is sharp and the colors are vibrant. Last week I was channel surfing and came across an episode from the first season. The colors looked horrible, so I decided to pull out the DVD and play it at the same time so I could switch back and forth to compare. What an amazing difference! Like night and day. It's great to have this show immortalized on DVD in such fantastic condition. The second season's film quality is just as good.
Hopefully, with the continuing success of these DVD sets, we'll get some cast/crew commentaries for future seasons.
My only gripe about the second season set is the horrible box cover art. As a magazine art director, I am amazed that the creative team at Paramount signed off on the fuzzy, murky images that grace the box cover. Very unprofessional looking.
on November 19, 2014
Sam and Diane were a great crazy, wild, passionate couple and they were a lot of fun to watch.
My favorite couple in a drama is JR and Sue Ellen in original Dallas.
And although these couples are quite different as well as the characters. They have one major theme in common; they have PASSION!
This is the season that Sam and Diane get together and stay together the whole season. And all the hilarity that ensues.
These earlier seasons of Cheers are very different from the Rebecca years which is mostly one liners and less story based.
I enjoy all of Cheers but the Diane years are very different from the Rebecca years. Both funny but almost like 2 different shows because of the different directing, writing and acting styles by the same very talented people which is why it stayed on the air for 11 seasons.
The picture quality is great and I chose the SD version and just stretched out the picture on my HDTV. The sound is really good as well.Other streaming Providers have Cheers but the picture and sound are not good plus I want to watch it whenever I want.
on January 11, 2004
Outstanding. As was the 1st season. Watched all episodes in one sitting. Always was, and always will be, one of the greatest shows to ever air on TV. Highly recommend purchasing this.