4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent recipes, but ...
Published on January 23, 1999 by hilorelei@aol.com

1.0 out of 5 stars Like heavy alcohol flavor in your cheesecakes?
While this book is pretty in looks, the recipes are extremely heavy in alcohol flavor. I like the flavor of alcohol in foods, but these recipes are very strong -- almost all recipes include alcohol, and many include very hard to find liquers. And the recipes do not yeild the firm texture I prefer.
Published on December 10, 1999 by M J Swartzenberg

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent recipes, but ..., January 23, 1999
This review is from: Cheesecake Extraordinaire : More than 100 Sumptuous Recipes for the Ultimate Dessert (Paperback)
This is an excellent book, as far as imaginative variations on the original cheesecake are concerned (my favorites being the Turtle, Black Forest and German Chocolate cheesecakes). My advise to anyone using this book would be to at least double the low-temperature cooking times that Ms. Crownover recommends. This will provide for a crumblier consistency, more like those made by professional bakers. The low-temp times in this book result in cakes that have a too-creamy, no-bake consistency.

5.0 out of 5 stars Now when my friends come over, they expect cheesecake!, August 13, 2001
Mary Crownover takes the mystery out of baking delicious homemade cheesecakes. There are many cheesecakes presented in this book - some that you would make for friends, some for formal dinners, some you would hide away to save for yourself (I'm guilty of that), and there's even a "guilt-free" cheesecake section for those watching their waistline.
You will find something in this book that will cater to everyone's tastes. Crownover takes the reader step by step through the cheesecake "making and baking" process, and even gives tips on making your own "cheesecake" masterpiece.
Some cookbooks are dry, some are too chatty, others don't give enough attention to details. Cheesecake Extraordinaire is a balanced cookbook that avoids those common pitfalls, and can make almost anyone a great cheesecake baker. The photographs are beautifully presented. The only problem I see is that the photographs are so wonderful, one can gain pounds just looking at them!
After making most of the cheesecakes out of this book, I have yet to purchase a "store bought" cheesecake. With Crownover's aid I have discovered that making a tasty, attractive cheesecake is not very hard at all. The downside is, when my friends come over, they expect cheesecake. The good thing is, I usually have one in the refrigerator or in the freezer (and when she claims her cheesecakes "freeze beautifully", she is telling the absolute truth). My personal favorites include her Butter Rum (to me it tastes exactly like the Butter Rum Lifesavers), the Grasshopper, the Caramel Chocolate Chunk, the Mai Tai, and the German chocolate cheesecakes.
No more excuses for not trying "cheesecake cookery", folks. This book makes it almost TOO easy to become a homemade cheesecake addict!

5.0 out of 5 stars Look No Further!, June 23, 2005
I have got to say that this is definitely the best cheesecake book ever. Initially, I was shopping around for one since my boyfriend's favorite dessert was cheesecake. I ran across this and decided to get it. Well, one of the best choices I could ever make, I think. This is an amazing book!

Starting from the recipes which are so numerous and so varied that they have to be divided into beverage-based, chocolate, vanilla, candy, etc., even one for light cheesecakes! Honestly, deciding which one to try the first time around was the toughest challenge when starting out. Well, I followed the instructions clearly, as well as the first section on tips to avoid it cracking and boy, did it ever come out wonderfully! I never looked back. I've baked from it endlessly for some years now, tasting practically all of the recipes included. It's gotten to the point where I may soemtimes tweak the recipe and/or ingredients a bit and it still comes out great! My family has enjoyed all sorts of different flavors and many of my family members and friends have converted and use nothing but this to bake cheesecakes also. My copy is so beat-up from use, it may be time to get a new one. Did I mention that this is also a beautiful book? Full of wonderful (yummy-looking) glossy pictures.

My only (tiny) complaint is that on occasion, some of the ingredients may be a little hard to get but nothing too major and definitely nothing's that stopped me yet.

I do have other cheesecake books which people have given me over the years but due to simplicity, astounding variety and plain old wonderful results, this is the one I recommend the most.

5.0 out of 5 stars Saved the day!, May 1, 2001
By A Customer
I can't tell you how grateful I am to have found this book. I decided that I wanted to make cheesecakes for my wedding instead of paying some bakery $2,000+ to do it. I picked three recipes and made 4 cakes of each (120 people), for a total cost of about $300. The book made recipe conversions and pan sizing a snap. And the best part - everyone raved, and thought that they had been professionally made!! There was a small-scale war on during the reception as to which cheesecake was the best one. By far, this book is one of the reasons our wedding came off as one of the best that people had attended. Thanks Mary Crownover!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Best cheesecake book I own, January 23, 2005
The recipes in this book are wonderful! I've made the mocha cheesecake at least a dozen times, and it's a huge hit every time. I made it for Thanksgiving, and my in-laws loved it so much, they requested it for Christmas! I also adapted another recipe to try something different, and it tasted like heaven.

The book has excellent tips, including a conversion chart if you want to bake your cheesecake in a size other than the 9" size used for all of the recipes. This is a fantastic book! Buy it new, used, whatever format you can get it in. Trust me!!!

Update 1/10/07: I have continued to make different recipes from this book on a regular basis, all to rave reviews. I am now expected to bring a cheesecake to all neighborhood gatherings, and no one else will make one because they want mine! I've adapted some of the recipes and have created my own based on the highly useful tips in this book (and by comparing ingredients from the various recipes), and they turn out perfectly. I've bought a few other cheesecake recipe books, but always turn to this one when I want to try something new, or when I want to work on an original recipe and figure out the right balance of ingredients. I am always asked when I make a cheesecake from this book if I'm going to start selling cheesecakes (the answer is yes!).

1.0 out of 5 stars Like heavy alcohol flavor in your cheesecakes?, December 10, 1999

5.0 out of 5 stars Delicious, Simple, and Exciting Cheesecakes, April 21, 2000
Shirley Yee (Toronto, Ontario) - See all my reviews
This is an amazing selection of over a 100 standard and non-traditional cheesecake recipes. The recipes are divided into categories: beverage-based, candy & cookie, caramel, chocolate, coconut, custard and spice, fruit, mint, nut, peanut butter, vanilla, and guild-free cheesecakes. I and many others have enjoyed the numerous cheesecakes I've baked using recipes from this book.

4.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful cheesecake book......., November 26, 2007
Toni "the bookworm" (Chicago, Illinois United States) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
Having several cheesecake books, and having purchased this book several years ago, I have been blissfully baking cheesecakes that many friends and family have enjoyed. For that important reason, and for the many wonderful reviews that this book has garnished, I would like to give a bit more detail to help someone both appreciate and perhaps, want to purchase this particularly wonderful book.

Starting with the many incredibly beautiful and luscious photographs, you will be in a difficult spot to try and figure out which of the over 100 recipes you would like to try. There seems to be a cake for every season and occasion, and all with just the right amount of effort to make them as spectacular as the finished photo itself.

The Foreward is an interesting page itself in that the Cardiopulmonary Dietician who wrote it has a philosphy that I agree with in that, in moderation, one can enjoy just about any food, especially if it prepared properly. It is a great read for those who might feel that "cheesecake" is a forbidden word. And when you get to the "Guilt Free Cheesecake" section, you will be pleasantly surprised on the good flavor and texture on the lighter cheesecakes.

As an aside, I found some recipes to be a bit heavy with the sugar content, so I scaled back about a 1/4 cup or so, and that seemed to be just right for myself, though is there such a thing as too much sweetness with cheesecake? And as far as the "Beverage Cheesecakes", the Margarita Cheesecake, Irish Cream Cheesecake, and Amaretto Cheesecakes were just perfect cheesecake cousins of those particular liqueurs.

Ms. Crownover goes into her first chapter of how to be successful every time by having the knowledge of "ingredients, equipment, and other helpful hints" to make your cheesecake baking experience the best. One of the parts that I appreciated was the modification of recipes depending on the size of your pan; extremely useful when having to increase/decrease amounts needed for different size pans.

Next comes the cakes and the different categories to give you a quick index of flavors:

BEVERAGE BASED CHEESECAKES:
Rum Raisin Cheesecake
Strawberry Daiquiri Cheesecake
Vandermint Cheesecake

CANDY AND COOKIES CHEESECAKES:
Chocolate Candy Cheesecake (an M&M's kind of cake)
Cookies and Cream Cheesecake

Super New York Style Cheesecake
Dutch Vanilla Cheesecake
Individual Cheesecakes
Honey Vanilla Cheesecake

GUILT-FREE CHEESECAKE (light cheesecakes substituting some cream cheese with tofu, egg whites rather than all eggs):
Fresh Strawberry Cheesecake
Fresh Tangerine Cheesecake
Tropical Blend Cheesecake
Light Lemon Cheesecake
Tangy Orange Cheesecake
Slice of Lemon Cheesecake (very refreshing)
Calorie Trimmed Coffee Cheesecake
Carefree Cocoa Cheesecake
Slender Cherry Cheesecake
Caramel Coffee Cheesecake
Blueberry Patch Cheesecake

This is a great book as well as reference tool for making the most delectable of cheesecakes; it is definitely one that you will refer to and that you can rely on for making a hit with this favorite dessert!

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, February 2, 2004
By A Customer
I have tried a variety of recipes from this book, and I've had nothing but successes. I am confident to try out a new recipe for an event, because I know it will turn out as great as the others that I did test.
I can't speak for the low fat versions as I haven't tried them, but I have nothing but praises for the regular recipes. Beautiful and inspiring pictures, great result, what more can anyone want from a cookbook?

4.0 out of 5 stars Well worth your money if you love cheesecake!, March 9, 1999
By A Customer
I have found this cookbook to be very tantilizing and helpful. The author often gives helpful hints and the recipes are very creative. The only downside is that there are not a lot of pictures -- I like to have a picture with each recipe so I can get ideas for what it should look like and how it can be creatively served. The pictures that are included are wonderful though.

Used & New from: $0.43