5.0 out of 5 stars yeah, it works.
Customer Video Review     Length:: 1:20 Mins

Length:: 1:20 Mins

watch this video.

5.0 out of 5 stars Terrific tool, terrible consequences, June 29, 2012
This review is from: Chef'n Stem Gem Strawberry Huller (Kitchen)
This is a remarkable little device that does what I purchased it to do, remove the stems from strawberries. Unfortunately, it works too well.

First, I removed the stems from the strawberries at the breakfast table. All well and good.

Then, I went into the fridge and removed the stems from the strawberries there. Excessive, my wife says.

So I went to the local supermarket and removed the stems from several boxes of strawberries. The manager told me to stop. But he didn't say anything about the tomatoes, which I began to de-stem. The police office was much less friendly than I expected, but at least he didn't arrest me.

When I got back home, I started planting tomatoes. When my yard was full I started planting tomatoes in the neighbor's yard. The police officer was even less friendly, but he was kindly compared to the warden.

At least they let me remove the stems from the tomatoes in the prison kitchen, and with good behavior, I should be paroled in a couple of months.

So if you buy one of these, be careful not to get too excited.

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfectly Hulled Strawberries Every Time!, May 12, 2010
This review is from: Chef'n Stem Gem Strawberry Huller (Kitchen)
This is one fantastic product! Simply push the green button (the stem) down to open the claw, insert into the strawberry, release the button, twist and pull the hull out. So simple! Works like a charm, each and every time. And it is adorable and very easy to find in my gadget drawer. No more poking myself with the cheap tweezer type product or cutting off more of the "good" strawberry than I want to.

Recently tried it on tomatoes and works amazingly well to core cherry tomatoes for stuffing as little appetizers also. What a fun and functional product!

2.0 out of 5 stars Smushes ripe strawberries, June 10, 2011
Elaine (Chantilly, Virginia, US) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Chef'n Stem Gem Strawberry Huller (Kitchen)
I guess I'm going to be the lone bad review here. This huller may work well for the huge, hard strawberries at the supermarket, but it does not work on ripe local berries, which are the only kind worth eating in my opinion. Local strawberries are smaller than the monsters you see at the supermarket, and are brought ripe to the Farmer's Market or from a U-Pick farm. This huller smushes and destroys those ripe berries, no matter how careful you are with it. I bought this little device to aid in canning strawberry jam, I was really looking forward to speeding up the process of removing the stems. Unfortunately after ruining several berries I went back to using a paring knife.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Gadget That Actually Works!!, May 9, 2010
This review is from: Chef'n Stem Gem Strawberry Huller (Kitchen)
I am beside myself with glee at the moment. I purchased one of these this week at the store since strawberry season is near. I just hulled a quart box of strawberries in about 5 minutes!! An absolutely awesome and well engineered kitchen item. I've been cooking for over 40 years and have hulled a truckload of strawberries in my life. I'll never go back to a knife for sure. This is an absolute must have for any strawberry lover. Perfect results every time.

5.0 out of 5 stars StemGem is a Chef'n lifesaver!!!, December 12, 2012
This review is from: Chef'n Stem Gem Strawberry Huller (Kitchen)
I could tell when strawberry season was starting by the knot developing in the pit of my stomach. I dreaded what came next, the little green baskets filled with strawberries stacked on each other like animals.
It was bad enough that they were picked before they had a chance to fully develop, to grow, to ripen!

I knew how they felt...their seedy skin bruised by a clumsy truck driver who was too busy texting to avoid a pothole, or the errant assistant produce manager mindlessly throwing these baskets full of ruby jewels of nature up on a display shelf and dropping them on the unforgiving concrete floor. A mindless mother slapping them endlessly for something they didn't do.

There is nothing more shocking to me than consumers who take the time to bathe these beauties properly, then deciding to torture them! Ripping out their stems by the roots, or twisting them like some sort of fleshy wind up toy; each twist making the berry scream even louder! Yes, berries feel pain, and I am cursed with the ability to hear their pain. I hear berry screams. It is worse than the sound a mother makes when she screams at her teenager to stop wetting the bed. Cutting off the stems does not help, as that is tantamount to scalping a man alive, except the Native Americans did not eat the man they scalped.

I moved to the Midwest to avoid getting any fresh berries, and that seemed to help a bit, but I always prayed for a better solution to killing my berry brethren, and Chef'n StemGem was born.

The StemGem's blade cuts through the top if the berry's head, as easy as an icepick through a cerebellum. Berry death is achieved quickly, and humanely. I can tell you the berries feel nervous when you first bring them home, but when they see the StemGem coming for them they believe it is a berry buddy, due to the fact that the StemGem looks just like one of them. A Chef'n brilliant idea. It looks so real, that when I first laid eyes on the contraption, I started to strangle my therapist who showed it to me. I thought he was going to force-feed me strawberries for a week like my mother did back in March of '82. When he kicked me off of him, regained his color and explained to me what the device truly was, I went to hug him. I was stopped by security, who had already arrived and shot me with three taser blasts because they thought I was trying to hurt him again. Idiots.

I highly recommend the StemGem, I only wish I could have one in my current accommodations, but hey, it saved me from getting life!

5.0 out of 5 stars It works great! This is the one., June 5, 2010
This review is from: Chef'n Stem Gem Strawberry Huller (Kitchen)
Tried this out against the OXO good grip. This is the one to get. If you have arthritis in your hand then the good grip may be the one. This does require pushing to start the procedure whereas the oxo you only push to empty the device of plugs.

The oxo is a lot like hullers I used in commercial kitchens whereas the StemGem is nothing like them and really so easy to work and get a good result. I have lived 20 years without a huller in my house but have wanted one for a long time. When I saw these, I thought it was worth a look see. You don't have to use them too often but when you do, they prevent mangling your fruit or tomatoes. It would be a nice stocking stuffer for someone handy in the kitchen.

5.0 out of 5 stars Works like a charm, January 15, 2013
This review is from: Chef'n Stem Gem Strawberry Huller (Kitchen)
Way better than the banana slicer. This puppy really works. Doubles as a nose hair trimmer. No, in all seriousness, it's a great product. Decapitates strawberries in no time.

5.0 out of 5 stars Where has this been all my life?, June 25, 2010
This review is from: Chef'n Stem Gem Strawberry Huller (Kitchen)
I love strawberries - they're pretty much my favorite food. For many years, I struggled with the typical sheet-metal huller which often was a struggle, would bend, and would incompletely remove the hull. I saw a mention of the Chef'n StemGem in the Amazon Daily blog and had to try it. (And then I had to buy a big box of strawberries on which to use it - oh, the suffering I go through to test products...)

I'm so glad I did - this works BEAUTIFULLY and is so easy - push button to open, insert and twist, remove and then push to eject. It took me a few berries to get the hang of it, but once I did, it worked every time.

It also cleans easily!

1.0 out of 5 stars Purchased 2 years ago was perfect, 2nd purchase 2 weeks ago was inferior, useless product, March 20, 2014
Michael Suszek (Montreal, Quebec) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Chef'n Stem Gem Strawberry Huller (Kitchen)
I originally bought this tool 2 years ago and it worked perfectly. I lost it and purchased a new one recently and as others pointed out it is of much lower quality and the blades now blend when inserted into a strawberry and they also damage the strawberry. In other words the way this tool is currently produced it is useless.

Either someone is unloading a cheap knockoff on amazon or the product has changed manufacturer and is using a different type of metal which easily bends and makes the product worthless.

So the overwhelming positive reviews on this product reflect the original product which was a definite must have 5 star and the latest negative reviews reflect the latest manufacturing standards. As I don't know which one I'll be getting I can no longer buy this product on amazon.

Chef'n Stem Gem Strawberry Huller